View Full Version : Mr. Butters is acting funny...

Anatresia
12-30-2005, 02:05 PM
As you know, we went to the vet yesterday and from the time I said, "Vet" until it was over with, Mr. Butters shook, clung to us, and was NOT himself.

Today, he's going to his buddy, Karen's, house in Niagara Falls (yes, my dogs are spending new year's at the falls- lucky dogs). She is my friend's mom and is babysitting them this weekend so we can visit her daughter. He usually loves Karen and when I say, "Go karen's house?" he gets excited.

So I said it, thinking he'd be happy, but he's acting like a dog in the pound. He is stiff, refuses to look at me or Kim, is shaking and just seems very upset. He keeps stretching out funny and walking stiff, like he does when he has clothes on.

I don't know if he thinks he's going to the vet again, or if he knows that when he goes to karen's, we leave him for a few days. Whatever the case, he's very upset. He's even hiccupping now.

I wonder if he's constipated. I haven't picked up any poopies in the house and it's been raining, and I know he hasn't gone poopie outside more than once in the past two days. Would consitpation make him act like that? Or is he just depressed? Poor guy! I should have spaced the vet out better.

I'm feeling so guilty now! I'm supposed to leave him in an hour and I'm so upset. And now Riggie is crying and acting upset, too. What is this about?

oceangirls
12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
I forget, did he have any vaccines at the vet that could have caused a reaction? I would probably check range of motion on his neck and all his legs and squeeze his paws to see if anything hurts... you might palpate his abdomen, too, and see if that hurts. If nothing seems unusual, you could have your friend try a little pumpkin to see if that gets things moving, and then just watch him very closely. Probably just knows you're leaving and is stressed, but never hurts to be careful. Will he take treats happily and is he eating and drinking?

Rayz for sad pupper and mom:rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Patt
12-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Good advice from Kim, I think they are picking up on your anxiety. After being stressed from yesterday and having to leave home today is a bit much for him. Try to stay calm and do your usual things and drop him off trying not to make a big deal out of it. Leave a signed note with your friend okaying a vet visit if needed.

Courtney
12-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Constipation could do that, but anxiety also plays a big role. You could try giving him canned pumpkin or a tablespoon or two of mineral oil to get things moving...

Jen
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Poor Mr. B. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for stress or to get over the constipation. I'm sure once he gets to be spoiled by Karen for a few hours, he'll be better.

jenfer
12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I have no suggestion, but sending him :rayz: :rayz: , hope he will feel better soon!

twodogslong
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
but he's acting like a dog in the pound. He is stiff, refuses to look at me or Kim, is shaking and just seems very upset. He keeps stretching out funny and walking stiff, like he does when he has clothes on.

What you describe is exactly what my Boomer did right before he had an attack of pancritities (sp). He was older than Mr. Butters, however he was also a husky big boy build, like Mr. B. Which my vet also attributed (being overweight) to the pancritities. If he starts to vomit or has any diareaha, you must get him to the vet quick.

But I am sure if you just had him there yesterday they would have know if he was sick or not.

I really do not want to scare you Tracy, however your description is right on the money of my Boomers. Every time it happened I thought it was his neck or back because he became so stiff and rigid. He would also grown every time we picked him up. Oh and his first attack was on December 24th as we were packed to go to Foxwoods for the holiday's. Our house/dog sitter ended up rushing him to the vet. He had to be on an introvinus (sp) drip for fluids, and take steroids. I spent the whole time on the phone with the vet and my husband was ballistic because I made him take me home two days early. Not only did he lose money gambling, they would not give us a refund on the suite, and the vet bill was $650.00. But I think he was as happy as I was to get home and see my baby.

Anatresia
12-30-2005, 06:26 PM
We played with him like normal, then asked if he wanted to go for a ride. He got excited, but then started the shivering thing again. We got to Karen's and he was sooo happy to see her (they recognized the house and Rigby thought her little claws could pull the window down so she could jump out- she kept crying and clawing to get out!)

At Karen's, they ran around, played with their treat ball and then Rigby settled in for a nap on Karen's lap. Then Butters went poopies, and seemed very happy after that. I told Butters, "Butters Go Bed Karen, Mommy Go Ride" and I went to pick him up for kisses and he ran and hid behind Karen, like, "No, Mommy! I'm staying!" It was SOOOOO cute and I felt so much better leaving him.

Rigby was like, "Huh? What? Oh yeah, squirrels- bark bark bark!" She doesn't have the range of emotions of Mr. Butters (and she lacks the issues that come with being too emotional, too, though.)

twodogslong
12-30-2005, 06:49 PM
At Karen's, they ran around, played with their treat ball and then Rigby settled in for a nap on Karen's lap. Then Butters went poopies, and seemed very happy after that. I told Butters, "Butters Go Bed Karen, Mommy Go Ride" and I went to pick him up for kisses and he ran and hid behind Karen, like, "No, Mommy! I'm staying!" It was SOOOOO cute and I felt so much better leaving him.

Sounds like a miraculous recovery to me. Enjoy your time away (bring back treats)

K2
12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm glad he's feeling better. Must have just really not liked going to the vet's and was trying the sympathy angle. :)

Patt
12-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Whew.... everyone is fine and can enjoy the weekend. :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

Goob
12-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Glad to here Mr. B is feeling better! :banana:

Jacqueline
12-31-2005, 12:20 AM
I left Taffy with a friend and her daughter on Tuesday while we went to see Joesph. She went potty on their carpet, whined, cried, acted out, and was hot when I picked her up. I was really worried that she was ill. We even checked online to see if we could give her asprin to cool her off. :scratch:

When we got home, I took her outside and she went potty and made several piles, came in, curled up next to me and slept like the baby she is. :hearts:

I think a lot of it must be anxiety...and my girlfriend says some of it in this case was puppy punishement, lol. All of it makes you crazy.

I hope you both feel better, and everything is fine when you get home.

jenfer
12-31-2005, 09:42 PM
It's great that he is back to his old self. :banana:

Mama S.
01-04-2006, 02:36 PM
SO how is the Butters now? I missed this one, heck missed several over the weekend. Hope he is doing ok! Couldn't think of anything happening to our baby Butters!
Sandi

Nancy
01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Good to hear everything is back to normal!