PDA

View Full Version : Boy battles hawk to save dachshund

Anatresia
12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
This story is awesome! What a brave kid! And that little girl- man, that's a cute puppy belly!

http://www.cnn.com/

Click on the video for "Boy Battles Hawk"

Patt
12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Hmmm I can't see it, I'll try later.

mcvwdox
12-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh my goodness, what a crazy story! Glad it had a happy ending. That little Demi (I think that's her name?) looks like my Cocoa bud!

catstamm
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Great story...and I'm glad everything worked out, dog was saved and boy was OK..... I am aslo glad you posted that for educational purposes....a lot of people don't believe hawks kill dachshunds...it happens all the time ...thanks tracy

Tex
12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I can't find it! I mean, get the site, can't find the article.....can anyone post a direct link???

Alex's Mom
12-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I can't find it! I mean, get the site, can't find the article.....can anyone post a direct link???
Tex, go to the search and type in "boy battles hawk" and it'll get if for you! An amazing story!!!

Tex
12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Tex, go to the search and type in "boy battles hawk" and it'll get if for you! An amazing story!!!
Thanks! I tired that the first time and it didn't work....must have spelled something wrong :scratch: . Amazing story! Glad everybody came out ok!

areese
12-13-2006, 09:34 AM
That is so scary! I think Laika esp, and prob. Owen are a bit too large unless a hawk was desperately hungry but Salsa???? She'd be gone in a second. When I let them out in the morning now it's dark and I've been hearing two owls which scares me even worse. We have a pair of Great Horned Owls in the woods and they are really big. I don't THINK they'd come in the yard but I go out with the dogs anyway... Thank goodness Salsa has a thing about being hidden while going potty-we have a lot of evergreens and she hides under the branches. Lil girl likes privacy, unlike the Weens who will poop on the deck if the weather isn't to their liking......

catstamm
12-13-2006, 10:19 AM
That is so scary! I think Laika esp, and prob. Owen are a bit too large unless a hawk was desperately hungry but Salsa???? She'd be gone in a second. When I let them out in the morning now it's dark and I've been hearing two owls which scares me even worse. We have a pair of Great Horned Owls in the woods and they are really big. I don't THINK they'd come in the yard but I go out with the dogs anyway... Thank goodness Salsa has a thing about being hidden while going potty-we have a lot of evergreens and she hides under the branches. Lil girl likes privacy, unlike the Weens who will poop on the deck if the weather isn't to their liking......

Amy
If they don't see you, it is likely they could swoop on of your pups....try this. Go to one of those places that sells funky outdoor pottery. Get 2 owls and put them on the corners of your roof.....the owls will stay away.
At least that is what I've been told and I know people that have done it.
It's kinda like a gnome in the flowerbed, an owl on the roof :banana:

blueyezz74
12-13-2006, 10:20 AM
My mom's friend has a chi years ago. A chicken hawk tried to take her away. My mom was over there at the time. The dog was practiacally screaming by the door. My mom's friend goes to let the dog in and the hawk kept swooping down to get the dog. The dog had claw marks on her head and back from it almost picking her up. The dog was really scared. Thankfully the dog didn't need any stitches.

alfina
12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Last year when we just moved into our house, I had a hawk circle our backyard for 2 days. Once he got really low. I think he was going for Sofie as he is the smallest. I ran towards her and the hawk went high up again. It also was watching our yard from the pine tree at our neighbours yard. They even called me to warn us about it. After that I had not seen him again but I always watch for it every time we go out. We also have owls around and the small one I saw one night killed a big rat. I think Sofie would be too big for the owl.

Chris
12-13-2006, 12:34 PM
No, she would not be. Someone we know had one of their 2 Papillons taken by an owl in the wee hours of the morning. She used to let the dogs out as the sun was coming up because of her schedule. So i would still definitely watch the doxies. And even if the owl couldn't carry it, they could do serious damage just by attempting it. So everyone, please be very careful :(

Lee Anne
12-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Scary stuff! I always figured mine were too big for the birds - but I guess Rowdie girl would be about snack size. :shocked:

LexieLuvr
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Our neighbor had a hawk try to pick up and fly away with her full-grown duck. The duck survived, only to die from infection from the hawk's claws tearing into its back. And that full-grown duck was HUGE!

areese
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
No, she would not be. Someone we know had one of their 2 Papillons taken by an owl in the wee hours of the morning. She used to let the dogs out as the sun was coming up because of her schedule. So i would still definitely watch the doxies. And even if the owl couldn't carry it, they could do serious damage just by attempting it. So everyone, please be very careful :(
Well, depends on the kind of owl of course...we have screech owls which are very small and barn owls which are pretty small too...but the great horned owls here are gigantic. I know they eat mainly mice and rats (Ok...I'll admit it, I do dissect the owl castings I find) but it seems like they could make a meal of Salsa for sure if not Owen...
And I hear them in the mornings mostly...as late as 6:30 as long as it is still dark....

Anatresia
12-14-2006, 08:51 AM
We had owls in our tree when I first got Rigby and it was a big fear of mine. At one point the next year, the owls landed in our backyard and before I could do anything, the dogs were ready to kill- they ran out towards the owl and then I could see that the owls were teeny tiny next to my Amazon dachsies. The owls flew away before the Wienerhausens got them.