PDA

View Full Version : Earthdog practice

Courtney
12-17-2006, 05:23 PM
It is 80 degrees here today - a beautiful day! I am hosting a party tonight for our CTDR volunteers up here in N. Texas so I have been getting ready all day. I kicked the dogs outside - most of them like to sunbathe on the deck or in the yard anyway when it's nice out. They were out for a while, then Adam was leaving to go to Target and noticed Zeus was not running with the herd. I knew that he didn't get out of the yard - there's no way out, for one, and two, if he got out I am sure everyone else would have followed. But we called and called, and even said the magic words "cookies" and "inside" and still nothing. I said I bet he is under the shed, because that is where they got the rat last weekend, and when I glanced out to check on the dogs I saw him sniffing around it. Adam got the flashlight and saw two eyes looking back at him from WAY back under the shed. Then Fred decided to tunnel under too. Great, now two dogs are under the shed!! I went and got a can of sardines, hoping they would smell it and come out. Eventually, Fred came out on his own....but it looked like Zeus was STUCK!! Adam got Zeus to come over to the side of the shed, but he wouldn't come out and wouldn't let Adam grab him and pull him out. So, I coaxed him over, grabbed the scruff of his neck so he couldn't slink back under, then grabbed him by the chest, turned him sideways and pulled him out!!! I know how they must have felt when Baby Jessica came out of that well! We were SO happy he was safe. He just wanted the sardines. We had a bunch of old bricks laying around the yard and Adam put them all around the shed so no more dogs can practice their tunneling skills. Phew!!!

Jill
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
:rotfl: Oh man! Glad he is safe!

Patt
12-17-2006, 06:15 PM
:holyshp: That would be scary, especially since you know they can't get out. Poor guy being stuck under there in hot weather.
Sardines were a nice reward. :banana:

oceangirls
12-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I can see how when a dog doesn't come for sardines, you know something is wrong! I think after that exciting start for the day, I would just have to go back to bed :faint:. Hopefully everything else went smoothly.

jenfer
12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
I am glad he is safe.

Otto'sMom
12-17-2006, 08:18 PM
:rotfl: Finally a weekend where I didn't have the adventure:rotfl: :rotfl: You know theres trouble when it's quiet...too quiet. That had to be the worst when the herd came running minus one dog!:shocked:

Tex
12-18-2006, 08:35 AM
So glad he's ok! It was hot here yesterday!!! I hope your party went well!:banana: