PDA

View Full Version : Sardines?

Fluffy
12-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Is there a certain kind you feed your dogs? The ones out of the store or ones especially for pups? I've seen several times now that people feed them to their dogs, and I think Buddy and Heidi might like them, but dont' want to give them the wrong thing. Thanks!

lizzieb38
12-18-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't know what to say here. Haven't ever tried them on the pups. I know mine love tuna and salmon. Maybe I'll give a shot with some sardines too.

Courtney
12-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes, just the ones in the tin from the store. Make sure they are "in water" and not oil!! And beware, they SMELL HORRIBLE!!!!

Fluffy
12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
ANd I dont' have to do anything to them? Just open them and let them go at it??

Jen
12-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I just breathe thru my mouth, open them, and use a fork to put a few in her bowl. And yes, packed in water. GROSS stuff but Tasha adores them!

Courtney
12-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I would remove them from the can so they don't cut their tongues....but they are ready to eat!

Fluffy
12-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok well i'm off to walmart to do my CHRISTMAS CARDS TANYA so I'll pick some up. Might wait til tomorrow to give them to them to see how they react but will update!!! Thanks Court and Jen!!

Patt
12-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Becca you crack me up. :rotfl: I guess I'm the odd one here, I like sardines on crackers.
Just as a suggestion..... although I don't know if it makes any difference, since the sardines are new to them I wouldn't feed a whole lot at one time.

Fluffy
12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
OMG My kitchen is going to smell...for days...i'm convinced. That crap is NASTY!!! I decided to let them each have a small taste. I don't think either one of them chewed them. BLECH that is the most horrid smelling thing EVER!! If this is gonna make Buddy's a$$ smell worse, those are the LAST sardines they're going to have!!!!!!!!!!!

LexieLuvr
12-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Per my vet's suggestion, I give mine each 1/2 can 2x a week; I add it in with their regular kibble and green beans allotment with their meal. Their costs are so shiny and smooth and healthy from the fish oil (sardines, packed in WATER only). I don't find the smell that bad; of course, I like to eat those things, too - also anchovies, but that's just me.

Lisa
12-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Becca you crack me up! His butt should be fine as long as you didn't give them too much (like Patt said).

Jill
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I give them to B&R every once in a while. They love them.

Red Haired Girl
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Mitch LOVES sardines! He bangs his bowl against the wall trying to get every last drop of fishy goodness from it. Then he bangs Low-las' bowl around just incase she may have missed a drop. Yummy treat around here.

Fluffy - after you open them, store them in the can in a zipper Zip-loc bag in the fridge,then dispose of the tin inside the bag. No smell.

Tex
12-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Becca, you are braver than I am!!! I can't even imagine opening a can of sardines inside my own house. Might try it at mom's over the Christmas holidays......:rolleyes:

Frzframe
12-18-2006, 09:41 PM
hmmm, I think I'll give them a go soon. :)

oceangirls
12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
DH eats them every so often (the canned) and I said, "HOW CAN YOU EAT SOMETHING THAT SMELLS SO AWFUL!!?" but then we had some at the Spanish tapas restaurant we like and they were delicious and did not smell :scratch:. Must be something about the canned ones.

I'll make him give the girls one the next time he opens a can :liplick:

jenfer
12-19-2006, 12:11 AM
I am another odd one... I don't mind Sardines... when I was younger, we used to hang out in my grandma's house on Sat or Sun while the adult would play mahjong and for tea time, we would have sardine sandwich!

Anyway, Gigi would eat anything and she likes sardines just like her mama. :D

Mama S.
12-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I've thought several times about getting them for the herd, guess I might as well brave it!
Mama