PDA

View Full Version : Austin, the Clever Weener and Puppy Suppertime

Otto'sMom
12-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I think Cesar's head would asplode a little if he saw Puppy Suppertime (patent pending) at my house. I do all the wrong things, such as letting them eat first, getting them all worked up about it and speaking in that high pitched voice that sends them into orbit.

What kills me is Austin. I don't always feed everybody in the same order, but the best way to get Austie out of the way and keep his little snout out of others bowls is to ask him "Where do you eat?" and he jets off to his kennel, at warp weener speed. I think that he believes in that whole running so fast that he'll travel back in time and get fed breakfast at the same time. He's a pretty smart weener.

The thing that's cracking me up, and it may be one of those "you have to see it for it to be funny" things is this: I'll say the magic words, and when he sees that I'm getting Darwin's food ready, an entire cup of food, he just jets into Darwin's kennel, like I'm not gonna notice the difference and feed him an entire cup of food at once. He runs in there and I actually have to say "Get out of there, you're not fooling me" and then he runs off to his kennel, at warp weener speed.:rolleyes:

Poor Darwin will eat his food in his kennel and I have to hold Austin back to keep him from rushing in the cage in the hopes that Darwin missed a morsel of food.

And Otto can set a land speed record for eating. He finishes his food (quarter cup of kibble) in the time it takes me to scoop the second quarter cup for Grrrrt and then will ambush Grrrrt and steal a mouthful of her rations. I will spill food on purpose so Grrrt can have a chance to eat. Sometimes, I will leave Grrrrrt on the bed or on the couch and feed her meals in bed. When I don't and she finishes her food, she will stand like a little Grrrrtvulture by Pearl, who is large enough to intimidate the weens to be able to eat at a leisurely pace. Grrrrt is inches from the bowl, and Pearl doesn't even growl, just goes on eating. Grrrt has never gotten a bite, but lives in eternal hope.

The amazing thing is this whole episode takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish, with Dolly barking the entire time till she's fed (she's usually last because the weens act like they're going to PERISH if they aren't fed immediately)

And it never varies, Austin always tries to get Darwin's food, Otto always tries to get a bite of Grrrrt's food, and Dolly always barks. Buddy is always a good boy and Pearl is always overjoyed at the concept of food.

Two times a day. Every day.

oceangirls
12-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Love it! I could picture it! I don't think Cesar would care for our method either :) so don't feel bad.

When the magic words are said, Cassie dances around under my feet poking me with her snout to make the process go faster, and Angel runs merrily around the house to find prey (e.g., a toy). If I have them penned in the kitchen and no toy is there, she will pull out a towel through the side of her crate, ripping it if necessary :rolleyes:. Then she performs a ritualistic "killing" of her prey, shaking it to death. I set her bowl down first, then walk over to put Cassie's down. Cassie runs in (always clockwise) circles until I set the bowl down. Then she snarfs her food in 30 seconds. Angel takes 5-8 minutes depending on how impatient Mama gets. She licks the pumpkin, canned food, and/or fish oil off the kibble, surveys the bowl, takes a piece or two out, rearranges things, chews each bite thirty times, and licks the bowl between bites.

:conf4:

In the meantime, Cassie licks out her bowl and a two-foot radius of floor surrounding it, she and I sit and look at each other for a few minutes, then she comes over to me and sits and looks cute, then she gets an extra piece of kibble for staying out of her sister's bowl (we have done this since she was a puppy). However, if Angel sets a piece out of her bowl more than 6 inches away, Cassie figures it is fair game and goes for it... sometimes she gets it, sometimes I stop her, and sometimes Angel snarls at her and pins her to the floor :rolleyes:.

Now, if I give them something in their bowls NOT at feeding time (like egg yolk when baking or some meat from our dinner), BOTH dogs will run in circles... Angel always runs COUNTERclockwise :scratch:

Weird process, but very funny!! :D

Otto'sMom
12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
:rotfl: That is so cool! (the counter clockwise and clockwise thing) :rotfl:

oceangirls
12-23-2006, 10:06 PM
:rotfl: That is so cool! (the counter clockwise and clockwise thing) :rotfl:

Yin and yang. Very appropriate. :D

Tex
12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Ya'll are crackin' me up here!!!! Andrea, you have GOT to get "Puppy Suppertime" on video!!!

quavec
12-23-2006, 11:07 PM
No theatrics at our house except that Cricket always thinks it's dinner time whenever i walk in the door? :sosad: Even if I ran out to get the mail :rolleyes:

Frzframe
12-23-2006, 11:16 PM
:rotfl: You guys are so funny!

Mine is the same except I feed the slowest eater or the one who has to take meds first. But, with Mitzi and Dudley they run to their bowl and Mitzi dances while Dudley barks. Lily sticks her head in the food container and Dudley growls at her to stop eating all his food. When it's time to feed them they each plop their butts on the ground because they know in order to get food they must sit first. Now when I had Rocky I'd ask "whose being a good boy?" and he'd run and sit on the throw rug in front of the kitchen sink. It was the cutest thing ever! Well besides me asking Ruby "are you ready to eat?" and she would run as fast as she could her kennel. :rotfl:

jenfer
12-23-2006, 11:55 PM
heh heh. Cute story.

No magic words here. But whenever I walk in the kitchen, SOMEONE thinks I am feeding her. Anyway, she would hear me opening the container... and I usually made her sit on the sofa and wait while I scoop her food. Sometimes she will sit for like 5 seconds and then she will be by my side (no patience), then I made her go back to the sofa... a lot of times she will talk back (bark/whine). As soon as she sees food in my hand, she will run top speed to her bowl and lay down and wait. I will then put the food down and made her wait some more. She can't dig in until I say "ok"... but being a mean b itch, I would say "oh boy" or "oh joy" or "oh pay"... just anything BUT "ok" (this is also to make sure she understands the CORRECT command). Then after I had my fun, she can eat. :D