View Full Version : Giving capsules

Jill
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I've started B&R on the vetri-disc I posted about a few weeks ago, and I changed to a new glucosamine supplement and both of them are capsules. I have been opening them up and mixing in the powder, but that's getting kind of tedious. Since Reese doesn't always eat his pumpkin or yogurt.

Does anyone else give capsules and do they just give them to their dog? Maybe those pill pockets?

Jen
11-30-2005, 04:16 PM
CHEESE!

We wrap Tasha's glucosamine/chrontadin supplement capsule in a bit of port salut cheese, its nice and soft, and that cheese pocket is gone in one gulp. No problem!

lotsadox
11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Peanut Butter!!!! I give mine in peanut butter. It's nice and sticky and hard for them to sort out the pills. When I first had Miller he used to sort out the wafers I had to give him so I got crunchy pb and broke the wafer into parts so he didn't know what was the wafer and what was the chunks! :rofl: Worked great!

Courtney
11-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Napoleon used to have to take so much medicine, I cannot trick him and hide pills in ANYTHING anymore. So I got one of those pill dispenser tampon-like things (sorry but that is what the mechanics of it are like!!) and it's great. Napoleon wants to run away when he sees it of course but he knows he always gets a treat after he gets his supplements!

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040910135318/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/bigimages/lg_18370_25914D.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11937&Ntt=pill&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I think they sell them at Petsmart and places like that too.

LUVMYGUNNER
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
I use cheese or lunchmeat. Peanut Butter didn't work for me, that was a mess when they spit it out. LOL

JanUet
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I use cheese or mini marshmallows! :happy2:

HotDogMama
11-30-2005, 07:46 PM
What do all these capsules do? The only thing I give Molly is her heartguard every month. Is this something for all dashies or just older ones? Should I be thinking about starting her on something or is this something to ask my vet? I've never heard of any of this stuff before?!?

Patt
11-30-2005, 08:28 PM
I wrapped the Vetri Disc caps in food, add anything to food and Trix will eat it. I just started Trixie on a new one it's called Synovi G3 and it's chewable and of course easier to give, ask your vet.

Fluffy
11-30-2005, 09:44 PM
I use cheese or lunchmeat. Peanut Butter didn't work for me, that was a mess when they spit it out. LOL

I am in the exact same boat Irma!! I use cheese for Heidi because she spits them out...she can spit far for a dog too!! Lost quite a few pills til I realized I needed to try somethiing else!!

oceangirls
12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
the two cheese method has always worked well for me :D - hold out one piece with the capsule wrapped in it and have another plain piece in your palm; they gulp down the first piece so they can grab the second one. If no food works and they spit the medication at you, here is one site that shows how to get dogs to take pills -
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_meds.asp

a couple of things about capsules...
(1) if they are wet they go down a lot easier since the gelatin coating dissolves and makes them slippery (which I admit also makes them harder to hold), and
(2) - less helpful for dogs, more helpful for humans - capsules float... so when you take one with water, don't tilt your head back like you do with a tablet. Tilt your head down a little and the capsule will float to the back of your throat and be easier to swallow. Just FYI especially when you are teaching a child to swallow a capsule. :)

LUVMYGUNNER
12-01-2005, 02:15 AM
I usualy get a few slices of deli luncheon meat-turkey and chicken and a few slices of swiss and munster cheese and wrap the capsules in that. It works great cause then they get another small piece of something after. LOL

oceangirls
12-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I usualy get a few slices of deli luncheon meat-turkey and chicken and a few slices of swiss and munster cheese and wrap the capsules in that. It works great cause then they get another small piece of something after. LOL

Do you follow that up with a piece of rye bread with mustard, and beer and a pickle on the side? :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. It sounded tasty!