View Full Version : Scooter went to the Dog Park!

lotsadox
01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
The DH took the afternoon off of work. (See miracles do happen!) The first plan for what we would spend the afternoon doing fell through so the DH suggested we take the dogs to the Dog Park. We took Cash, Miller and Scooter. Since Scooter is WAY over the 20 lb limit for the small dog part, went in the large dog area. They had a great time! :banana: Although most of the time Scooter looked like he was trying out for a part in the old movie "Dazed and Confused"! :conf1: He was sort of happy and sort of scared. Then this huge dog named "Richard" came and kept trying to hump him with scared the :sheep1: out of him! Richard was not very well behaved and I thought his owner was never going to get him off Scooter and on a leash. He definitely didn't belong off leash at a dog park. But after that he did some running and even tried to chase a ball he saw. I guess next time I need to take a ball for him! The one thing that surprised me was that he wouldn't get in the water. They have 2 nice ponds and the weather was really warm (mid 70s), but I couldn't get him interested. At home I had to dump his pool because I couldn't keep him out of it and he was coming in the house soaking wet and I was constantly mopping floors! At the dog park I couldn't get him in the pond. :dunno:

All in all it was a good afternoon, even though I forgot the camera. (sorry) Of course, Miller and Cash got lots of attention which just goes to show that even in the big dog part of the park "Dachsie's Rule" :lama:

Courtney
01-01-2006, 07:48 PM
That sounds fun! Maybe Scooter just needs a few visits to be comfortable at the dog park. Go again and take pics this time! ;)

K2
01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a fun time!! I bet Scooter just needs a few "practice runs" and he'll be fine after going a few times. How big were the other dogs? That can be kind of intimidating. At least Richard found him attractive :rotfl:

Goob
01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
At least Richard found him attractive :rotfl:

Yeah Scooter, it's a compliment!!!! :banana:

Otto'sMom
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
The first trip to the dogpark is usually a little rough on the pups. My crew has been going for years now, and Otto is self appointed King of all he sees there. He is one of those that you'd consider "not well behaved" and he is always humping my big dog Buddy, who then goes on to hump the other dogs that rival his size. I do stop them, but sometimes they just have to figure out who's the boss before they can have fun.

lotsadox
01-01-2006, 11:55 PM
It wasn't the humping that I considered "not well behaved" it was the fact that he was huge and out of control. His back was about 2 1/2 feet high and his owner couldn't do a thing with him. In the process of trying to get him off Scooter he dragged her all over and I ended up soaked from the knees down because he was wet. He was not only humping all the dogs, he had one down and had his foot on it and it couldn't get up and the owner couldn't get him off. He made my dogs look really well behaved. I was a little afraid that he was going to hurt one of the smaller dogs just because he was so big and kept jumping on other dogs.

Linus
01-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Did you go to the Millie Bush park? I have always wanted to take Bailey there someday...maybe on my next visit home!

lotsadox
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Did you go to the Millie Bush park? I have always wanted to take Bailey there someday...maybe on my next visit home!

Yes, we went to Millie Bush Park. You really need to go, it's a great dog park. They have a big dog area with 2 ponds and a small dog area with 1 pond. They've even added covered areas with benches for the hooparents! Doggie showers and everything! :boogie: :boogie:

Otto'sMom
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
It wasn't the humping that I considered "not well behaved" it was the fact that he was huge and out of control. He was so big and kept jumping on other dogs.

Oh, I see. I get so embarassed when my dogs get going to town on another dog that I can see why you'd consider it bad behavior. That out of control nonsence needs to be fixed! I can preach firsthand what one wrong step can do to a doxie's back :(
We have a couple of parks we could go to in town, but we stick with what we know. I took them to the PETA dog park, which is very nice, but my dogs looked like country bumpkins, with Otto humping Buddy, who then goes on to hump any other dog near his size, usually on the head.

Lisa
01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Awww, so happy Scooter went to the park (and the others too!) - I am sure a few more trips would be great for him. Even though he is more than 20 lbs...ours usually don't care as long as they don't go after the smaller dogs.

Your park sounds gorgeous, I have to find one around here that is that nice. The last dog park we went to was a really small area for the small dogs, but it was good with benches and stuff, but nothing like you described with ponds.

Jen
01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a wonderful dog park! We don't have anywhere they can be off lead legally with a pond. And Central Park doesn't even have an off lead area! :(

I agree, maybe with more visits, Scooter will become more comfortable!

Mama S.
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
arrgg _ I wanna dog park:mad: Nothing even remotely close to here. THey adored being off leash in Atlanta at Howl O Weenie but 100 miles is a bit much to run around for! DLC has a new theme sone - a humpin we will go a humpin we will go hi ho a meri oh.....:rotfl: :rotfl:
Sandi

Nancy
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Sounds like the dogs had a great time, despite all the "humping" !:rotfl:

Wish the Boston area had a dog park, Molly would love to run around!