PDA

View Full Version : How did you pick a name for your dachsie?

Goob
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
I was just courious how the everybody picked the name for their dachsie! :hearts:

When we went to name Bella, it was between Bella and Clancie - but DH said everybody would think she's a boy if we went with Clancie. So we named her Bella, but then we just started calling her "Snooter" all the time because she's nosey, bossy, busy, and always "snooting around" (up in everyone's business!). :hearts:

Professor Brown was named when we went to pick him up from the breeder one week after we got Snooter. This guy had promised me that he would hold on to Snoot's brother (Buster) on Friday night until Saturday so I could come and get him. Well we got there and he told me that somebody was already going to the bank to get cash for him. So I threw my credit card at him, grabbed Buster Brown and we took off! He was MY dog! Anyways, we were driving away from the breeders place and Buster kept poking his head thru the top of the pet carrier, so I said, "sit back down there Buster Brown" - and DH looked at me and we just knew that was his name! :banana:

Jen
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
A great story Karen. Tasha's name came with her when we got her from rescue. We'd been planning to rename her, but one look and we knew she'd been through enough stress in the past few weeks, she should at least be able to keep her name!

Jill
11-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I thought Bailey was appropriate because of his coloring and then Reese, who was Bruiser, became Reese because I thought he looked like a peanut butter cup. :heartbt:

lotsadox
11-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Amanda I named and have no idea where it came from. I just looked at that little puppy and said "She's Amanda" :conf3: Bogart I named (obviously) after Humphrey Bogart, my all time favorite actor :heartbt:. Miller, Cash and Sweetums all came from rescue with their names and I saw no reason to change them. Scooter was named by the people that had him for a few weeks before we took him and fits him really well.

Lisa
11-30-2005, 05:13 PM
We had names for our dogs BEFORE we had them. I had always wanted a "wiener dog" and Rafi and I were at the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) and we were talking about adding a puppy to our family while we were eating Pogo dogs and he said, I guess we know what his name will be....and it was!

Then with Pixel he was orginally named Granite, and it totally doesn't suit his personality (he is anything but hard or cold). But when we saw his picture, we said, "he's so tiny, he like a pixel"....and we had his name - a week later we had him too!

HotDogMama
11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
When we got her home, we didn't have a clue what to name her..... my husband looked on the internet for the top 10 dog names I think and he named them and when we got to Molly (she doesn't have a middle name either which most people think is weird) we both knew it was perfect!!! Now I can't see her with any other name....... the rest is history!! :banana:

LUVMYGUNNER
11-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Hubby picked Gunners name and i picked Petunia's name. I saw a doxie in one of the rescues by the name of Petunia and I thought it was so cute and I told hubby if we get a little rescue then we will name her that.

JanUet
11-30-2005, 07:20 PM
When we got Casey I wanted to name him Monty. Doug and I talked about it and wanted to give him a name that was Special to us.

When we were dating we always frequented this one Restaurant by the name of Casey's. We loved that place. We even took Casey there for lunch (he was in his carrier) We told the Manager that we named him after the Restaurant. Sly me, thinking we would get a wee discount on our order. We didn't :(. We haven't been back since! :rofl:

Sophie came with her name thru Rescue. We wanted to name her Stacie (Rhymes with Casey) We would call out her name before we got her. STACIE! STACIE! and Casey would come running. We didnt' want to confuse him, So we kept her name.

Their middle names come from the in-laws. Doug and I do not have children together. Doug's parents joked with us saying that they will never have Grandchildren with their names. So, that is how Mr. Casey Walter Smith and Ms. Sophie Carol Ann Smith was born.

Pokeys Mom
11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
(...) Tasha's name came with her when we got her from rescue. We'd been planning to rename her, but one look and we knew she'd been through enough stress in the past few weeks, she should at least be able to keep her name! Same for Pokey. Being a rescue at nine years of age is stressful enough without a name change! At first the name sounded odd for him (to us), but we soon realized it was perfect. He's such a honey. (most of the time :rofl: )

Fluffy
11-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Heidi came with her name when I adopted her. I somehow morphed it into Heidi Sue...just came out one day and it stuck. Buddy was nameless for a few days. I got him on Valentine's day and was trying to come up with a cool name for him that had to do with the special day...however naming a boy dog after a girl's holiday wasn't easy. His original name was Wally but Andrew said his mom used to call his dad that when she was mad at him, so it had to go. Andrew came to me one night before bed and said "you better pick a name for him soon because he's getting used to me calling him Little Buddy." As soon as the words were out of his mouth we just looked at eachother and said "BUDDY" at the same time. It stuck and suits him PERFECTLY!! His middle name is Matthew...he had grabbed the end of the toilet paper and when I shrieked at him (laughing of course) it just kind of came out "BUDDY MATTHEW!" Andrew hated that so it stuck LOL (guess that should have been a sign we were doomed).

oceangirls
12-01-2005, 01:28 AM
which has only ever been used to name dogs, not human babies!!

After we met the girls, we went through the book until we found names we both liked. They fit perfectly, too. Angel is - well, pretty much an :angel7: . And Cassandra means "unheeded prophetess" (she foretold the fall of Troy and no one listened to her) - Cassie is always making noise which we mostly ignore. She is the Dachshund Who Cried Wolf.

My mother-in-law thought we would have given them opposite names - "I thought you would name the little one Angel because she is so tiny." HAHAHAHAHA, I somehow knew THAT wouldn't have been right. Tiny things are not always angelic and innocent!!!:evilgrin: (I am just kidding - I adore my small spotted dog.)

I wanted the girls to have beach-related names (we had moved to FL one year before), so they are registered as Hall's Ocean Angelina and Hall's Sandcastle Cassandra :D

Tristan was named from the opera Tristan and Isolde (we were both musicians in college when we met).

Tanya
12-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Well, as you all know, I must have P names. I went through every name site on the Internet trying to find a name for Peaches. When I came across the name Peaches, I thought it was so adorable! I was really hoping when we met her that the name would suit her, and it did! :cheer:

Everyone helped me come up with name suggestions for Piper. His name was Jimmy. I picked 5 I liked and John got to choose the final name. He went with Piper because that is a type of plane and he is learning to fly. I didn't even know it was a plane when I gave him that choice! If I did, I would have known that would have been the chosen one! :boogie:

Prickles was the only P name I could come up with that was just perfect for a hedgehog! :heartbt:

Patt
12-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Dodger was named by someone at the shelter and he looked like a Dodger. Gretel was originally named Fern and Trixie was already named and it fit her. I can think of a lot of names for dogs but then one arrives I can't think of one.

lotsadox
12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
I can think of a lot of names for dogs but then one arrives I can't think of one.

I know what you mean, Patt. When we got Pebbles we called her "Puppy" for a few weeks until I finally said "We've got to name her or she's going to grow up being Puppy". My husband wanted to name her Pebbles. When we got Bogart I suggested we name him Bam-Bam and the DH refused. He said he wasn't going to be out calling "Bam-Bam, Bam-Bam, come here!" I guess it would have offended his masculinity! :rofl:

JuneyTrixie
12-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Juney has her name because my middle name is June. Trixie has her name because when I held her shortly after she was born, she just looked like a Trixie. :)

Mikey
12-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Max was my first dogs name. I named him after the robot Maximilian from the movie "The black hole". Since then, it's been recycled twice. Mini was originally suppose to be "wiggles" cuz her little bum wiggles when she wags her tail. However Tina's sisters dog recently was put down and apparently it's nick name was wiggles (although I never heard reference to it in 6 years). So Tina suggested Minnie cuz she's so small (the dog, not my wife) and I shortened it to Mini.

Jacqueline
12-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Taffy came with her name when I picked her up at animal control. She was an owner surrender, and I was very lucky to get her. I know I wouldn't want someone to change my name, so I didn't change hers. Actually, for some reason, people seem to feel free to change my name to Jackie, which I HATE WITH A PASSION!!!!!!! Only those I love very dearly and would not have the heart to disown can get away with it, but they do get heart-rending sighs of dispair to remind them.

Since we live in Florida, I do think of Saltwater Taffy occassionally. My hubby calls her Little Bit, and she doesn't seem to mind that. Of course, any name accompanied by loving and belly rubs....well....:cheer: :cheer:

Mikey
12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Max and Mini will respond to "puppy heads" when I need them both to come. I'll say "Ok puppy heads, time to go out" and they'll run up stairs.

natfro
12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Once upon a time I thought I'd never have kids (human kids). But back in my fanciful days I knew I wanted 3 daughters and I would name them Alyssa Leigh, Cayla Lynn, and Tabytha Marie.

As the years went by I had no children and with hopes fading I got a cocker spaniel/beagle cross pup I named her Alyssa Leigh. 6 months later I answered an ad for another speagle and I named her Cayla Lynn. About a year later my Dachshund came into my world and so I used the last name of my three Tabytha Marie.

Now since there is a human baby on the way, we had to pick a new name. :) But that's okay.

What makes me chuckle is that "Tabytha" means GAZELLE. *snork*

Jen
12-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Tasha is starting to respond to Brat.....

Can you tell we have issues with walkies in the cold weather? ;)

Anatresia
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Pop culture, of course.

Mr. Butters came from "Butters" on South Park, because he was so timid and meek when we first got him. He is still a pushover with Rigby, but very stubborn with us now, so we added the "Mr." as in, "Excuse me, MR. Butters, would you PLEASE go potty outside?" :) I wanted "Napoleon" for him, not the movie, but the little short emporer, because it suits a dachshund so well.

Rigby comes from Eleanor Rigby, the Beatles song about the lonely people. Not that it fits her- she's anything but lonely. Paul wanted to use a name from a song, so we went through all the songs we knew with female names and Rigby seemed to suit her- she loved it right away. (I actually wanted Peanut for her, but it didn't happen. I wanted "Peanut" and "Butters".) We call her "Eleanor RIGBY!" when she is bad or bratty.

Von Wienerhausen was something Paul just started calling Butters because it "sounded german". :)

My choices were always voted down- that's why I got to name Lawrence Fishburne and Lance Bass (our deceased and current fish.)

K2
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Penny was named Miss Penny Lane when we got her. As for Pippit, his first name was Rudy and when he arrived at his foster mom's house she already had a Rudy so named him Rusty. I decided that I needed a "P" to go with Penny and when I picked him up I had a list of names. The first thing he did in the car was pop up and look out the window. I said, "You're quite the pip, aren't you?" And he looked at me and cocked his head like he knew what I meant. So, Pippit Jay What Did You Say(because of his ear) was his name!

squirrel818
12-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Weenie's name came from the oswald the octopus cartoon. Oswalds best friend is a dachshund named weenie. I used to call my sister that all the time so when I got a dachshund thats what i names him. (btw the cartoon is adorable and weenie is such a good dachshund!) Cricket came with her name when we rescued her. I knew we were getting another dachshund and her name was going to be noodle but I just liked Crickets name alot so we kept it. It's perfect for her to because she is alsways hopping around!

jenfer
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
I have the name "Gigi" before I even decided to have a dog. I know it's going to be a girl and she will be small. And I think this name fits her very well. :D

Linus
12-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, Bailey came to me on a spur of the moment decision, so I didn't have time to think about names. I had a friend watch him for an hour or so while I went to Wal-Mart for a crate, food, bowls...everything puppy and looked at names there...nothing. When I got home we spent another hour or so thinking about names and eventually she said, "Well, lets do one name for every letter of the alphabet; Alex, Bailey, Caesar..." She never even made it to D! :party1: