PDA

View Full Version : Goodnight Otis

Courtney
12-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I hope you understand why we sent you on your way today. Your body was broken and we couldn't fix it. I tried so hard and I feel like I fought so hard for you, but there wasn't anything that could have been done. It is even more painful because your spirit was never broken. You were the best dog - everyone loved you, and you loved everyone. You endured pain just to be near everyone when they came over. It hurt them to see you fall down because your hips were so weak just as much as it hurt me. But the important thing is that YOU are not hurting anymore. Thank you for going so peacefully. I had hoped you would just put your head on my lap and just go to sleep, and that is exactly what you did.

I can't imagine that you are "running and playing" at the Bridge now but I bet you'll be doing a lot of sunbathing and snacking. I hope they have lots of Easy Cheese for you. I will miss you, big boy, and all the little dogs will too. Someday we will see you again. Bindi will lick your face, Fred will snuggle with you in the sun, you can nudge me all you want, and you can still tell those annoying puppies to go away. Goodnight Otis.

Here are some very sweet pictures I took of my angel Otis this week.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/334395115_766fc5f90e.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/334394863_aa8e46fe69.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/335886289_93e86c9cfa.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/335889414_02f1f96d60.jpg

laura
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh Courtney! This was so hard to read and so hard to see these beautiful pictures! I have tears streaming down my face!

Tex
12-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I actually went back and searched......did I miss a thread about Otis being sick/hurt???

This is :sosad: to read, but I know that you made the best decision you could for Otis. He is now pain-free and happy watching you from the bridge. I will light a candle for Otis.:candle2: Big :hug99: to you Courtney!!!

LUVMYGUNNER
12-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Here is a candle:candle: for Otis.

HotDogMama
12-30-2006, 03:07 PM
:( I'm sorry Courtney :candle: for Otis.

oceangirls
12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
oh, what a gorgeous boy. That is the ultimate gift a foster mom could give. I'm so sorry, Courtney :sad2: I know that must have really hurt.

:candle: for Otis. I know Tristan will meet him at the Bridge, and they can lie in the sun together.

Lisa
12-30-2006, 03:12 PM
I am so sorry Courtney, my heart breaks for you. Godspeed sweet Otis.

:candle3: :candle2: :candle3:

Otto'sMom
12-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Poor old feller~ The saddest thing about Danes is that they just don't stay around as long as we'd like them to. With so much love to give, those big bodies just give and give till they're worn out. You are a good boy Otis, and you're going to get to run like the wind and the weens at the bridge:hearts:

catstamm
12-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Great tribute and wonderful picturs, Thank you Courtney....
RIP sweet big guy:hearts: :hearts:

jenfer
12-30-2006, 05:17 PM
RIP Otis. :candle:

Jen
12-30-2006, 05:58 PM
We'll all miss hearing about and seeing your gentle giant. But it is a comfort knowing he went so peacefully, and isn't in pain anymore. :candle:

quavec
12-30-2006, 06:04 PM
It took me until this very minute to be able to read this. My heart breaks for you Courtney. And for Otis too.

You're free now Otis! Be happy boy! :hug99:

Chris
12-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh my goodness - i had no idea. He just didn't let on from his smiling, happy pictures that he was in pain. Thank you for loving this guy and providing him a joyful home with the weenies kissing him and loving on him in his final days.. That's just like doggie heaven.

Alex's Mom
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Courtney, I'm in tears reading this. I didn't realize he was in such bad shape...you'd never know it from the pics of him and the weens. You loved him very much to give him such a gentle, peaceful release from pain, despite the pain it's causing you. :hug99::hug99: Run free and easy at the bridge, gentle boy. Alex and I are :candle2: for him tonight.

Mama S.
12-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I hate this section of the DLC. I avoid it like the plague as my heart breaks each and every time I come here and see another sweet soul gone. Courtney you are one of the dearest people. You give soo much of yourself to our sweets one large and small. Thank you for giving Otis such a wonderful place filled with love and for being able to release him from the pain. My heart aches for you but I know you did what was the best. Bless you.
Mama

alfina
12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I am so sorry Courtney. You did the right thing for Otis. I know it doesn't make it any easier. Big hug for you dear.

Frzframe
12-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm so sorry he was in such pain. I'm glad he found his way to you guy where he could find all the love and compassion he needed. :candle3:

Patt
12-31-2006, 02:55 AM
That is a loving tribute to your gentle giant Otis. He was SO lucky to have you in his life.
I will light a :candle3: in his memory. :pray:
Thanks for the sweet pics of him and his buddies.

Courtney
12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you guys for your kind words. I feel like it was the right time to let him go. He was just broken. He had really severe arthritis in his spine and elsewhere, and bad hip dysplasia. I tried all kinds of supplements and a couple painkillers but nothing helped enough - he was just too far along. Two of our vets, Dr. Benjamin and Dr. Wright, both thought he was in a lot of pain. We saw Dr. Wright on Wednesday and he watched him walk, looked at his x-rays, saw what we'd already done for him, and said that if it were his personal dog, he would let him go. Dr. Wright said if Otis was a person, he'd be in a wheelchair - that is how crippled he really was. He also saw that he had an enlarged heart, so we know he was an old dog near his time. It really helped me that he went so peacefully. He just put his head on me and closed his eyes and he was gone. I think he is glad to be out of pain now.

lotsadox
12-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm so sorry, Courtney. Run free, Otis. :angel: You did everything you could for him, Courtney. Including letting him go when it was time which is sometimes the hardest thing to do. Bless you. :angel7:

LexieLuvr
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh, Courtney, I am SO sorry! No matter how many times we do things like this, it NEVER gets easier! Please accept my deepest condolences.

catstamm
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Here is a favorite of mine.....

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can not be won.
You will be sad, I understand,
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me will stand the test.
We’ve had so many happy years-
What is to come can hold no fears.
You’d not want me to suffer so,
The time has come, so let me go.
Take me where my needs they’ll tend
And please stay with me til the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time that you will see,
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I’ve been saved.
Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who has this painful thing to do.
We’ve been so close, we two, these years-
Don’t let your heart hold back it’s tears.

Author Unknown :angel7:

Lee Anne
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Courtny, I'm so very very sorry that you had to make such a painful decision for your beautiful boy. It's never easy - even when it's the right thing to do. Thank you for such a beautiful tribute and pictures. He seemed like such a gentle soul. Sending my love...
Lee Anne

Michelle
01-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Courtney, I am so sorry about Otis, I did not know he was sick and I just saw this post!!, So so very very sorry!!, I'm bawling my eyes out now reading this and then seeing his pics...:sad1: :sad1: :candle2: :candle2:

mcvwdox
01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I can't even read your posting Courtney so I will just say I'm so sorry for you, Otis and your family right now.....

michelehbc
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey Courtney. I know that I have not known you that long, and I know that this happened a little while ago, but This is for you from me :bighug: