View Full Version : Hot Dog...literally

Otto'sMom
12-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I went to great lengths to make myself my favorite dish from Cafe Uno Pizzaria: Rattlesnake Pasta. It's pasta with an alfredo sauce and chicken with a bite (jalapenos) It was quite an effort, since I usually make stuff from a box. I had to go to the store and get several things I don't have (Itialian spice, minced garlic, white ground pepper, milk, half and half, and of course, jalapenos)
I managed to run 3 pots without burning anything (although my stoopid fire alarm disagreed and went off, driving dogs into a frenzy) and it turned out AWESOME~ was a little concerned about the salt, I'd added 1/2 teaspoon before I realized it was supposed to be a table spoon, so I just did 6, and spilled some too....seemed like a LOT of salt. But it was soooooo tasty and creamy and yummy. I'm not about to eat whole jalapenos, cause, HELLO! I'm from Iowa and didn't try anything spicy until 1996~ and only had about 3 left in my bowl.
Some of you may remember the rule about sharing around my house...once I'm down to the last bite, it's fair game. I didn't think it'd be a good idea for houndies to get a bite full of hot pepper so I scooped the 3 left in the bowl on my fork and let the hounds clean the bowl. All went well until Austin and Darwin discovered that there was something on my fork. I put the peppers in the bowl and held it above my head and off to the side attempting to keep it out of their reach.
Caught unawares, Austin made a bold move, standing on my forearm, lowering the bowl so both he and Darwin both got a pepper.
I'm mildly concerned about the effects of puppers eating jalapenos~ Will they fart fire and burn the house down cause the smoke detector pissed me off so badly that it is now sitting in a drawer in the sun dog pee room?

laura
12-30-2006, 07:53 PM
...yes

Otto'sMom
12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Crap.

oceangirls
12-30-2006, 09:13 PM
... yes - probably that too.

Anatresia
12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
That's my FAVORITE thing from there!! I love it!! Where did you get the recipe from??

The last time I tried to make that (using my own alfredo recipe and jalapenos) I got...um... very sick, very quickly. I hope your puppers don't have the same problem!!!:rotfl:

Tex
12-30-2006, 11:59 PM
OMdoG.....I'm tellin' ya'......you get me everytime!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I hope that there are no lingering ill effects for the "hot doggies".......although you might want to keep the fire extinguisher close just in case......

Otto'sMom
12-31-2006, 12:05 AM
PIZZERIA UNO'S RATTLESNAKE PASTA
Source: Magnolia Walker Company E-zine

CHICKEN:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
PASTA:
1 ib. penne pasta
SAUCE:
4 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground white pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz. shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
4 oz. jar jalapeno peppers (in juice), sliced

In a large skillet over medium heat combine chicken, 2 tablespoons butter, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, start making a roux:
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add garlic. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and half-and-half, continue to stir until smooth and creamy.

Stir in Parmesan and Colby-Monterey Jack cheeses; stir until cheese is melted.

Add jalapeno peppers and stir in chicken. Add alfredo mixture to cooked penne pasta and serve.

Red Haired Girl
12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Holy Crap! That sounds Delish! Going to try that out on DH this week. I do believe I'll let him think it is rattlesnake meat though. He always tells me when I'm thinking of trying something new " You'll like it, It tastes like Chicken". I now have a rule that I live by: I don't eat anything that 'Tastes like Chicken'!