PDA

View Full Version : Courtney, Calling Courtney!!!

Red Haired Girl
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I have a bag of natures variety medallions in the freezer. How many per meal, and can I give raw in the morning and kibble at night? I've had this bag for 2 weeks and don't know when or even how to start. I already give raw bones for chewing and give raw meats occassionally, so I'm not afraid of feeding it, I just don't want to starve the little darlings. We can't go totally raw - we only have the freezer above the fridge and we need to eat too.

Lisa
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
We only have one small freezer above our fridge too and we get 3 bags at a time + all of my ice cream (which is a LOT) crammed in there :)

Pogo gets 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner (18 lbs). Pixel gets 1 for breakfast and 2 for dinner (12 lbs). But mine get lots of treats (kibble)...so it would depend on what you're supplementing with.

And yes you can do 1/2 and 1/2 - I think Jen does Nature's variety in the morning and kibble in the evening.

Lucky little puppies - they will love it!

Red Haired Girl
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Can I give them frozen or do we need to set them in the fridge over night, or put a weeks worth in the fridge to thaw? Will it become a gross sloppy mess?

Lisa
01-04-2007, 10:30 PM
They stay together really well!! We keep ours in the fridge for a maximum of four days - I count them out and put them in tupperware. And yes you will need to take them out the night before.

JanUet
01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I give Casey and Sophie one each in morning with a tablespoon of NO FAT Cottage cheese and some veggies
I do the same at dinner time. They also get treats but not as much as before.

I usually put 12 in a container (enough for 3 days) and place them in the fridge to thaw out.
I take them out of the container when I want to use them.

So I use 4 a day.

I only have a small freezer above my fridge -- no ice cream in it tho :sosad:

Red Haired Girl
01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok. I'm goin' in!

I'm a stingy mom when it comes to food cause I know they chow at grandmas during the day. She says they only get one treat! Ha! That old lady is going to hell for lying :rotfl:

I have a 1/8th cup spoon in thier kibble can. I give them 1 level spoon of food at night. DH feeds them in the morning and I know he heaps that spoon as high as it will go. He is going to hell too.

I thought that if I bought the medallions and he gave them in the AM it would cut out some of the calories the little chubs are getting due to the medallions being pre-measured. I just don't want to over feed them. Mitch is 15 pounds and should be 11-12 and Low-la stays right at 20 - 21 pounds. This is what she has weighed since she came to live with us. She looks strong and sleek, not fat and rolly now, though :appl:

Michelle
01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I do kibble in the morning 1/4 cup and raw medallions for the evening meal.
Heidi and Princess both get 2 medallions at night, I think I have to start cutting back though cause Heidi looks like she is porking up a bit. Princess
is still her trim 10lb self, but Heidi is looking a bit portly lately, she is just a pig.

lotsadox
01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I feed the medallions and they're great for weight control since they're a measured portion. I"ve gotten Bogart, Cash and Miller all down from 16+ lbs to 11+ for Bogart and 14+ for Cash and Miller which are good weights. I feed a combination of medallions and kibble to Scooter with no problem. Some people believe that you shouldn't combine them because of some sort of digestive problem with it, but I've done it with several dogs with no problems. :dunno: My belief is that everything digest differently and in the wild dogs eat different foods together.

Jen
01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Tasha gets 1/4 cup Evo kibble in the am and raw medallions at night. We were using Stella and Chewey's 2 oz medallions, one per night, but just switched to Nature's Variety chicken and turkey. However the store I found them at only sells the 8 oz patties so I defrost 2, quarter them, put two quarters into tupperware, re-freeze and defrost 2 days worth at a time. The Nature's Variety looks nice and meaty!