PDA

View Full Version : over 100 animals taken from a local home

mcvwdox
01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Check this link, a filthy house filled with animals, in the county my parents live in, was "investigated" yesterday. Over 100 animals (mostly dogs) were taken from the home.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=5891038&nav=menu158_2

As of tonight, calls have apparently been coming into the SPCAs who were taking in the dogs and some have already been adopted. Tonight on the news clearly showed a clip of them removing at least one dachshund from the home. Just my luck. :(

I haven't heard from any of my contacts in that area RE rescue needs, but I'll keep y'all posted.

How can people get away with this kind of stuff??? UGH

catstamm
01-05-2007, 07:43 PM
WTF.....people get away with it because most people in our society don't want to get involved in anything....and they ones that gets involved can rarely do much because AC and SPCA etc.....don't do anything....
It's a vicious cycle ....and so sad that animals have little to NO rights...
Please keep us posted....

Romandachs
01-07-2007, 03:58 AM
The people likely had a very bad mental condition where they were likely not responsible for their actions, or lack there of. Alzheimers, Dementia...etc. Sadly, they must not have had family, the neighbors reported problems but likely due to their previous "stance" in their community, those who could have done something to not only protect the humans in the home, but also the animals and they looked the other way. If anyone deserves charges brought against them, it is the people who knew the humans in the home were becomming incapable of properly caring for themselves or the animals. Trust me I know, my Grandmother got pre-senial dementia, it came on her at a fairly young age, she progressed and regressed severely. She lived alone with my Aunt living nearby. She had to be forced about once a week to take a shower down at my Aunt's house, my Aunt and Uncle took food to her weekly and a meal every night. What I found when I visited her once was dreadful. The house stunk to high heaven, there was feral cats and their kittens running everywhere, there was even a few (once sought out due to the smell of decompsing flesh) found wrapped in newspapers and up on the mantel or other odd places. There was cat feces everywhere, including on top of handmade dolls her sister had made in years past, on her bed and pillows. When I walked in the house with just shorts and socks/shoes on my lower body my white socks quickly turned black with fleas jumping on me, I was being eaten alive by fleas biting my legs. No wonder she had sores all over her and stunk all the time. Now my Aunt had promised her that she would never be put in a nursing home, however, this was before her mind was totally gone, before she ran off all the home healthcare workers who came to help her and before she no longer knew who any of her family was and trust me, I had to threaten my Aunt with calling the authorities or god forbid the authorities find her or a neighbor to stop by and find her in those conditions. Did she not think that her family is responsible for the conditions she was living in and the fact that she was allowing it?? I was LIVID over it and she hadn't been to the doctor for so long (she refused back when the pharmacists were required not to refill prescriptions that were more than 1 yr old without a new prescription from a doctor...this is WHY). She had to be admitted to the hospital for evaluation to make sure her family wasn't just trying to say she was demented and stick her in a nursing home, not to mention she had taken herself off of all of her heart meds, actually all meds and needed to have tests run on her to check her condition. Suprisingly, she was physically healthy. I had to stay with her at the Hospital to keep her from running off. To her, her grandchildren no longer existed in her mind, her children no longer existed in her mind, she had reverted back to her teenage years and wanted to find her parents because she needed to help take care of them, as she did when she was a teenager. This thought occupied every waking moment in her mind. She wanted her brothers and sisters and her parents. She only had one living sister which she would not have recognized as she would have expected to see a child. Oddly, me and my Aunt was always familiar to her. I think it was because we were always close to her. She ran off her son and his wife years earlier when they came for a visit. She had no idea who they was. Trust me on this. These people are the result of neglect from a community if they had no family and neglect from their family if they had it. It was SAD to put my Grandmother in a nursing home, and she deteriorated quickly thought it still took her years to die and she was in a vegitative infantile state when she finally passed away. She was not my grandmother and hadn't been my grandmother for years. I know what it is like to loose your mother. I lost mine when I was 19. My Aunt couldn't let her go. She had a code on her at the nursing home until I found out about it. I asked her if she had lost her mind. She was no longer the person she used to be and most certainly never wanted to live like this and WHY my Aunt would have a resussitation code on her was beyond me. I told her how sorry I was that her mother's life has come to this, but she was my grandmother too and I love her too, but I love her enough to let her go and she needed to love her enough to let her go too. Needless to say she made her a no code and DNR and the next time her heart failed, she was allowed to die. Sometimes people fight between what they once knew people to be and to do what is right for the people themselves due to health concerns regardless of how much it may hurt the people to be placed in a nursing home, it is the safest and most sanitary place for them to be. I don't blame this elderly couple or their neighbors who reported the problem. I blame family if there was any and the people who checked in on them and looked the other way. This couple obviously had no mind or body left to do what was right for themselves or the animals. JMO

Melanie
01-07-2007, 04:17 AM
die. Sometimes people fight between what they once knew people to be and to do what is right for the people themselves due to health concerns regardless of how much it may hurt the people to be placed in a nursing home, it is the safest and most sanitary place for them to be. I don't blame this elderly couple or their neighbors who reported the problem. I blame family if there was any and the people who checked in on them and looked the other way. This couple obviously had no mind or body left to do what was right for themselves or the animals. JMO

AMEN:angel7: :pray: :angel7:

Patt
01-07-2007, 05:02 AM
:sosad: unfortunately there are many out there like it. :(

lotsadox
01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
What Beckie says is true, however, because of the laws in our society protecting people from being confined against their will as years ago they could be (i.e., a husband could have his wife confined in a mental institution practically on his say-so) it is very hard to do anything about someone that you aren't related to. There is also the risk if you do do anything that the relatives will end up suing you, sometimes just to get some money. I've seen this happen. This is a horrible situation, but I don't blame those around them for not doing anything. They may have had limited channels to use and depending on the rest of the family, they may have been leary of taking the risk of a lawsuit. Remember, in this country ANYONE can sue ANYONE for ANYTHING as long as they get a lawyer who'll represent them. If you're sued you have to pay a lawyer to defend you EVEN IF YOU'RE INNOCENT. Your only recourse is to counter sue which will cost you more money and you may not be able to collect even if you win.

As far as the family goes, we don't know the circumstances. There are times when family members are too overwhelmed with their own circumstances/problems to be able to deal with others problems. As the articles stated they had already run off some of the family and we don't know what happened. It may have been so traumatic for them that they just couldn't deal any more. If you have ever been in the position of trying to have someone taken out of their home against their will, you will know that in a lot of states it is practically impossible to do. Even though they should be in a safer environment, it may not have been possible to move them there.

I don't have an answer here, but I'm not going to point fingers at people. Sometimes bad things just happen and it's unfortunate, but really no one's fault.

lizzieb38
01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
OMG!! Those poor animals. I have a feeling that they will find that the old guy has something wrong with him. Is amazing that people would let that go on for so long.:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for those poor lil animals.

Otto'sMom
01-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Beckie, your story is a familiar and sad one. I've always wished to be able to go into these hoarders homes and just clean them up while they're being held somewhere..would they notice? In Norfolk VA, two women had to have just 12 cats removed from their home because they just didn't know how to take care of them. I'm sitting here with 16 critters in my house, and just can't grasp the concept of not cleaning up after them. (as I throw the kitchen rug in the wash for the umpteenth time this week because someone peed on it. They MOVED the piddle pad to pee on the rug!)
Dementia is a horrible thing, and I wish people's families were as responsible as you were with your grandma.
My family swears that I'll be that "XXX cats and dogs removed from home" story.

Michelle
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I feel bad for these people that hoard, I know that many of them have mental problems. I also read someplace that people that have been sexually
abused in the past also have a strong tendency to become animal hoarders. I can't remember where I read it, but it was pretty interesting stuff.

Bella's Mom
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
:sosad: I hope all the animals have found homes. :please: