PDA

View Full Version : Thos of you who feed medallions

alfina
01-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I decided to give raw a try and got some medallions. The store is quite far but Sofie needs something different from the two chubs. She lost some weight recently and I am taking her for a thyroid check next week. Could be just coat loss as she looks smaller without all the furnishings.

Anyways, do you all feed a complete bag of medallions and then switch to another protein or do you alternate daily the proteins? I got her chicken and a bag of rabbit.

Lisa
01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I personally feed one entire bag and then switch with the next bag. I don't know if it really matters, but because the bag never seals the same as when purchased I like to use it up so it stays extra fresh.

p.s. let us know how it goes. I bet they all love it!

alfina
01-14-2007, 07:35 PM
I am not switching Sabrina to raw. I have to board her when I go out of town and they wouldn't be able to handle raw there.

So, Sebastian who needs to loose weight and Sofie who needs to gain a bit are loving it so far.

akiss
01-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I switch all of the time. But in case you did not know Natures Variety has feed dried raw so the kennel will take it.

Jill
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I switch all of the time.

Red Haired Girl
01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I went to the dog food store yesterday. I had a coupon for a free bag of medallions if I bought another bag, 2 for the price of one! They only had 1 bag of frozen turkey and chicken left so he gave me a bag of the freeze dried to try. I almost died - that stuff was over 25.00 a bag! I spent 12.50 for the frozen so I feel like I really got a good deal. He said he ordered the freeze dried in for a person and they never came back. I hope my guys don't like it too much, but it would be handy if you have to board them somewhere.

Akiss posted the link for the coupon last week if anyone wants one.
www.naturesvariety.com/tryit

K2
01-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I switch all the time, too. And that is a great coupon!!!

Jen
01-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Tasha eats the freeze dried on vacation but really prefers the regular raw. So far we've only fed chicken and she didn't like something in the beef Stella and Chewey's. But now that we're feeding Nature's Variety, we may try rabbit too. Not sure about the lamb.

Rafi
01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
We buy Natures Variety and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

The Initial idea of feeding raw was gross and the price a bit scary. Now a year later, I wish we had started this right from the start. With simply switching to Raw Medallions by Natures Variety we have seen great improvement in Pogo's health and weight issues are now under control.

Before feeding raw medallions it was not an un-usual event for Pogo to throw up at least once a week, we even tried high quality Kibbles called Wellness Simple Solutions, things improved marginally but it didn't stop the throwing up. Once we made the switch (now over a year) Pogo has only had a couple of throw ups and that was because he ate something he wasn't supposed to.

A bag lasts about a week and a bit and that feeds both Pogo and Pixel. The cheapest is Chicken $13.99 Canadian and Most Expensive is the Rabbit $17.99 works out $6.99 or $8.99 Respectively Per Dog for a week and a bit of feeding, not too bad for Premium Food.

What we do is keep the entire bag in the freezer and when its time, empty about 35% of the bag into a plastic Tupperware and store in upper portion of fridge. Initially I may microwave the Medallions for 25 seconds just to soften them up a bit. After a day or so in the fridge they should be soft enough so I just simply moosh and feed. Once the Tupperware is empty I refill from the freezer and repeat until the bag is done. We alternate between Chicken, Rabbit and Venison.

In travel situations we use the freeze dried stuff which you simply wet and feed or you can simply give like dried kibble.

Courtney
01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I may look into the medallions if I have my mom come stay with the dogs. But it really is so easy just to bag up the raw food into portions and label them with the dog's name and day. I did that for 7 dogs for a week - lots of food but it worked! Most boarding places also will accomodate special diets - I have used two with my dogs and they had no problems.

Rafi
01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I may look into the medallions if I have my mom come stay with the dogs. But it really is so easy just to bag up the raw food into portions and label them with the dog's name and day. I did that for 7 dogs for a week - lots of food but it worked! Most boarding places also will accomodate special diets - I have used two with my dogs and they had no problems.

That is an excellent system you have going there.

lotsadox
01-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Usually, I use a whole bag up and then switch but I don't think that it really matters. The kennel that I have used in the past will feed raw. In fact, I buy my NV medallions from them. I've also used the freeze dried and it is expensive, but goes a long way. :banana:

Jill
01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I have those sandwich size disposable glad tupperware things that I use. I portion them out so there is two days worth of food for both dogs. I think I have 5 of the tupperware things, so it's food for 10 days. As soon as I use the last portion that is in the fridge, I take one from the freezer and put it in the fridge. It has one day to thaw so it works out great. Right now, I am still feeding the boys the NV raw kibble for dinner. You can also get a coupon from NV for that, so I had decided to try it. They really like it, but I think I am going to go back to all medallions for a bit now. I just tried the kibble to try it. I am going to have to get some of the freeze dried medallions for our trip to Florida - since I am driving, I won't be able to keep them fresh. I hope they like them.

Rafi
01-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I am going to have to get some of the freeze dried medallions for our trip to Florida - since I am driving, I won't be able to keep them fresh. I hope they like them.

On our last Ohio and Chicago trip we took Freeze Dried Medallions with us and it worked great.

Almost Doxie
01-15-2007, 10:26 AM
The store where i can find the medallions only has the chix and turkey. i mix the raw instinct with the medallions for everybody. how important is the protein switching?