PDA

View Full Version : Raw feeders

LUVMYGUNNER
01-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Petunia and Gunner got a raw marrow bone yesterday morning and boy did they both get sick --throwing up all night, hubby doesn't want to give them bones anymore. I want to start getting the medallions would they get just as sick on them?
Advice appreciated pro's and cons also.

Jill
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I am pretty sure that with the marrow bones, you should scrape most of the marrow out of the bone when you are first giving it. I think. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere. I know it's pretty high in fat/calories, so I am not sure if that's the reason or because it's so rich, which is probably why they got sick. Courtney would obviously know better then me.

I switched right over to the medallions and had no problems. Every dog is different though, some have much more sensitive stomach's then others.

lotsadox
01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I give the marrow bones with no problems, but my dogs have cast iron stomaches and eat anything (and everything if I don't watch out). I get them from my vet so I don't know if they're something special for dogs or not. :scratch:

I think you can usually just switch them over, but like Jill said it would depend on the dogs. I've switched several fosters with no problems. I do think that the marrow bones are really rich and that was probably why Petunia and Gunner got sick. You might need to work up to those. Sending tummy :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of them.

Michele
01-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Was that their first time with raw food?

Maybe you could try starting out with a raw chicken drummette instead...Pepper LOVES those...and that was her first raw food, and she had no sickness with it.

Just a thought.

akiss
01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
I was lucky that both of my boys took to raw right away. For the medalions you can go to
www.naturesvariety.com/tryit

they have a buy one get one free.... put a little wet food with the meat and see if the dogs will eat it. THen just put less and less canned food.

You know about the 10-15 min rule the where if your dog does not eat his food you take it away... with the raw they eat it in 5 seconds!!!

Lisa
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I think you can switch, like stated, the marrow is rich especially for a first time.

Michelle
01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
The marrow is very rich and Princess now gets sick like that so I have decided not to give them anymore, or if I do, I will end up scraping the marrow out. Heidi does fine with them, but Princess has seemed to develop an intolerance to raw beef now, and she pukes it, now she also pukes from the raw marrow bones.

they do fine with the medallions, I just have to make sure Princess does not get any beef ones,

LUVMYGUNNER
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone. I will try to remember this about the marrow.