PDA

View Full Version : So mad I could spit nails

Fluffy
11-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Ok...There I was, minding my own buisness watching Lost when all of a sudden I heard a strange noise like some little puppy was up to no good. There he was, in the hallway EATING MY BOOT. MY GOOD LEATHER BOOT I might add. The little booger he is got into the bathroom, dragged it out and sat there and proceeded to chew the leather off the heel. There is NO way to fix it and I am so steaming mad right now its not even funny. What can I do to make him stop this? He eats every shoe he can get ahold of. I do my best at keeping him away from them, put them in high places or into the closet he cant' get into. I didn't realize he can break into the bathroom, or I certainly wouldn't have left them in there. I took the shoe from him and said a very stern "No." He just sat there looking at me licking his lips. What else should i be doing to make him realize this is not ok???

oceangirls
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
is stop hiding them; bring them into the room he is in, put them on the floor, and actively train him to leave them alone using the same method you would if he tried to chew your couch, table, or books you keep in that room all the time (such as saying "No" firmly and substituting a toy or chew that belongs to him). I can't guarantee he would generalize this to all shoes, though.

Bitter Apple might help if that's worked for you before... although I don't know if it would harm leather or not.

We do the same thing you've done - no shoes on the floor. I think a nice mouth-sized chunk of expensive leather is VERY tempting to a dog!!

So sorry about your shoe - may it rest in peace. :rolleyes:

lotsadox
12-01-2005, 12:30 AM
That might work, Kim. I never thought of that. I might try that with Scooter since I"m getting really tired of having to put my shoes up on top of the counter in the kitchen or the top of the dresser so that Scooter Monster can't get them. So far the only casualty has been one of my favorite thongs (the kind you wear on your feet. Come to think of it there were two casualties of the "other" type of thong. LOL)

oceangirls
12-01-2005, 12:43 AM
So far the only casualty has been one of my favorite thongs (the kind you wear on your feet. Come to think of it there were two casualties of the "other" type of thong. LOL)
:rofl:

I think probably with really expensive shoes, purses, ummm - lingerie, etc... I would still be scared to tempt fate - even if the anti-shoe training seemed to work.:evilgrin: Cassie knows she is not supposed to take things off the coffee table, but she takes my credit card if I forget and leave it there - WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? :faint:

Courtney
12-01-2005, 12:53 AM
We have a church pew in our house and I have been putting my shoes up on it because Dax is a shoe eater! Louis chewed through the strap of my favorite flip flops. They are ratty and old...but I put a safety pin on them to fix them and I still wear them! They are the BEST!!

lotsadox
12-01-2005, 12:53 AM
:rofl:

Cassie knows she is not supposed to take things off the coffee table, but she takes my credit card if I forget and leave it there - WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? :faint:

Obviously, Cassie wants to go shopping! :rofl: :rofl: You go, girl! To the Mall! :rofl:

Goob
12-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Obviously, Cassie wants to go shopping! :rofl: :rofl: You go, girl! To the Mall! :rofl:

Snooter was on-line the other day with my master card... just after she chewed my fav... brown boot.. and they're so in this year!!! :confused:

Tanya
12-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Peaches has chewed up many shoes. We have to set all of our shoes out of reach. She got a hold of two pairs of black leather boots, one pair of Born shoes, and two pairs of heels! She has gotten a hold of every pair of John's shoes, but he doesn't seem to learn to pick them up. :shocked:

When people come to visit, I tell them "Do not leave your stuff on the floor and always keep the guest room door shut." That way when something does happen, it's their fault and not Peaches! :angel7:

Patt
12-01-2005, 03:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your boots. I've lost many things to chewing I finally learned to put everything up high.

Jen
12-01-2005, 10:43 AM
How frustrating! Tasha is not a chewer, we even have leather pillows on the couch. I consider myself very fortunate. :)

JuneyTrixie
12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Target or Kmart or Walmart all sell these special plastic or cloth shoe racks that you hang on the door or inside the hanger of the closet. It is usually long enough to reach the floor, but you can cut that part off. This shoe rack keeps your shoes up high. I used to hang it on the third bedroom door so that my shoe chewers wouldn't get them.

Remember that if the shoes are made of leather, then it is a former cow or other animal, and so it is natural for your pup to chew it, thinking that they are killing it, so don't get mad at them. Like I always tell my son, you have to puppy proof the house, otherwise, if you leave something down, then it is your fault if they chew it. :)

Fluffy
12-02-2005, 12:04 PM
I have been trying a new approach to the shoe thing. Though it might be a little unorthadox, I am not really sure what else to do at this point, and it does seem to be helping Buddy understand that shoes are not his toys!! Since he has already destroyed the boot, I have not put it away or taken it from him. Instead, when he gets the "chewies" I walk in, hold the boot, say no shoe in a very stern, low voice and replace it with the bobo. I set the shoe back down in front of him instead of taking it so he sees. The next time he goes towards the shoe, all I have to do is say "no shoe" and he leaves it. This morning, I caught him chewing on it and did what I've stated above, but left the shoe sitting on the chair beside him, gave him the bobo and walked out of the room. About five minutes later, I went back in and he was sleeping with bobo between his paws. In the past, when I walked back in he would have resumed chewing on the shoe or object of his desire...he would look up at me, flatten his ears (cuz he knows he was wrong) and sheepishly get up and go find a bone or toy to play with. It might take some time and patience, but I think he is starting to get the point. :banana: