View Full Version : Do not feed chicken or turkey legs?

alfina
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
So, I was going to treat my guys to a raw chicken thigh tonight. I get the pack opened just to discover that I grabbed boneless pack. Urghh, medallions for everyone.

Anyways, as I set to read for a few min, I found "Who moved my bone" by Theresa Mancuso. And in the section about raw, she says to feed wings, necks but not legs. And all the references Courtney posted in her sticky, recommend leg quarters and no necks or wings??

Lisa
01-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I think the wings and necks have lots of small bones and if they gulp them there is more risk of an injury. Also big bones give them more of a work out. You could have feed the boneless ones tonight if you wanted. The bones are important over long term for vitamin D and calcium, but one meal would have been okay.

Mama S.
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
My herd have been eating chicken legquarters for over a year with zero problems. My smaller guys get the leg, the bigger get the thighs. Never had a problem with them. I like them as they cannot just wolf them down but have to chew.
Court - where are you on this one??
Mama

Otto'sMom
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
My guys have been enjoying the legs too, with ZERO problems. The dachshunds can't just gulp the legs down (Pearl on the other hand, swallowed that thing like it was a pill or something, and even then there was no trouble, thank DOG)

catstamm
01-24-2007, 01:43 AM
It only take ONE time .....Not worth the risk to me :scratch: I would never feed my dogs anything raw that you can buy in the human market....not a popular opinion to some here but my opinion non the less...:rolleyes: