PDA

View Full Version : If you lose your temper, what does your dog do?

Kerie
01-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Last summer I got into a heated argument with a friend, over the phone. At the time, Oscar had been barking and nudging me whenever I was on the phone (even during regular conversations). This particular conversation became loud because I was upset. Oscar started to bark at me and when I continued with my raised voice, he jumped up against the back of my legs and he either bit me or scratched me really bad. I had puncture wounds and some small bruises. Since then, he once snapped at a child who had shown her fear of him. He caught her pants but not her skin. He's improved with kids but we are so cautious. We have also taught him that he cannot bark and growl just because we are on the phone.

So, there were no events in which I lost my cool since the summer but today something happened again. I've been working on a case at work and the opposing attorney has been really trying to screw me and my client and the situation is wearing on me because the case has dragged on for 3 years and we keep having to go back to court. I admit, I am livid about what is happening in this case. I walked in the door after work tonight and barely greeted my DH before I went into a tirade about the case. During the tirade Oscar jumped up against the back of my legs again and I can't tell whether he nipped me or clawed me. DH thinks it was a bite, and I think so, too because Oscar's claws are not sharp at all right now. I have an ugly bruise and a very small bit of broken skin. Is this fear biting?

So, maybe Oscar and I both need therapy!! Though I've made amends with my friend from the summer.

I go to court on that case tomorrow. I wish I had the energy to tell you more about it. I should not even be nervous because it is so obvious that the other side on this case is wrong, wrong, wrong and the judge should see that. But we have waited a long time for this court date and it better go well!

Lisa
01-04-2006, 06:46 AM
:crossfin: :crossfin: That you kick butt in your case today!

As far as Pogo goes, he is very similar to Oscar as far as reacting to my yelling (except if it is directed at him, in which case he goes very low and raises his front paw). He will jump up and claw (I think shred might be a better word as he moves his two paws very fast) at my leg and he starts to cry. But he has never shown any aggression to a child. Plus he does the leg shredding thing when he just wants to be picked up and I am ignoring him...so I am not really sure what the behavior means.

K2
01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
If I yell, or even just get upset: Pippit goes and hides under a chair. When I'm calmed down he will come out and see if I'm okay.

quavec
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Good Luck on your case! As for what Cricket does during arguments etc. Well, once I was in a tear to get the kids gathered and ready to go ...somewhere? And Cricket stayed in his house almost the entire day. Like he was either scared of me or just wanted to make sure he wasn't in the line of fire. I have a pretty quick temper and often rant away to DH about anything that sets me off. I am also a neat freak and will go on 'rampages' to clean the house. He heads to whatever room the kids are in and watches TV with them until Mom feels the house is sufficiently clean. That makes me sound like some sort of monster, but it's more or less a joke in our house....I guess we might be a bit disfunctional in that. Anyway, if the kids start to argue or fight, THAT is when Cricket begins to bark. He will stand a couple of feet away and bark until either DH or I intervene. He doesn't like running the house neither. He is my hall monitor.

isobelsmom
01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Not a one of mine do this. I have a slow temper (unless it involves dogs of some sort...and not even my own, or politics/religion) and my herd just kinda settle in and watch the show.

Kerie...First, I hope you whomped butt in court; and second, sorry to say, but clock him verbally or in some other way correct him for this behavior. It is unacceptable!

This sounds like acting out a fear response (puppies will crawl or claw the mutter if she is upset) and that response may lie dormant until something sets it off. When Oscar does this, DO NOT coddle him or tell him it's ok. That's praise to dogs. Clock him verbally, with a squirt gun or canned air and then ignore him by turning to the side. I say this because 1: you can watch for him, and 2: it's a calming thing.

If your voice is higher when you get angry, he may be reacting to that.... high voices gets dogs VERY excitable.

Hope some of this helps those of you with cranky, clawing dachsies....but biting kids is NOT an acceptable outlet. I think it's the high voice in both instances. Let me know what you think and definately, let all of us know how your case turned out. Just watch and become aware if your voice gets higher.

lotsadox
01-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Mine usually go and hide or go outside if I get angry! (I do tend to get rather "vocal" when I'm angry and also slam doors which could have something to do with it :sorry:) I've never had one jump on me or bite/scratch me though.

If I'm just upset and not really being vocal, they will come and want me to pet/reassure them. Miller will sit up and Cash will come and put his feet up on me and look really sweet wanting me to pick him up. I think that's a reassurance thing too.

Jen
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Tasha is such a shy and scared dog that she'll hide, or start sniffing her butt (fear response linked to her past abuse I think), if I get angry.

Kerie, hope you kicked some *** in court today!!

Otto'sMom
01-04-2006, 02:23 PM
*Kick hinder in court today!

I don't think my dogs have ever seen me lose my temper. I live alone so there's no one to yell at, and I really don't yell anything other than "SHUT UP DOLLY, THERE'S NO REASON TO BE BARKING SO :curse: MUCH" which has no effect on her storytelling of the days events.
I save my temper tantrums for work, and cuss out stupid Sailors, which I enjoy, so I'm a pretty happy camper. My rage is pretty superficial, and there's nothing at home to tick me off other than myself.

Kerie
01-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I just got back from court and the first thing I did was to check in here! I'm still an emotional mess over this case. My client was a real nice elderly man who got hurt on the job, filed for Worker's Comp only looking to be paid for some lost time from work, got laid off from the job shortly after filing the case (raising my eyebrows), was given a major run around from the insurance company on every issue, waited forever and DIED waiting for his settlement. Now I represent his wife, who is in her mid 70s, has heart problems and waits tables to make ends meet. Neither spouse had ever made a claim or filed a lawsuit before. We were finally awarded what we are entitled to today and I pray that there is no more stalling and my client gets paid. The settlement money should have come 3 years ago, when he was alive to see it. I didn't raise too much of a stink today because it was moving along the way I wanted it to. But that does not change the fact that this will happen to other people. Working class people are screwed all the time and, at least in NY, the Workers Comp system needs a major overhaul. I'm still considering writing letters to elected officials because of how this case went!

So, poor Oscar was a victim of my soapbox ranting and raving, and now, all of you were, too!!

The thing about biting that child is difficult. I want to teach him, but don't want to risk anyone getting hurt. That poor little girl is even afraid of a dachshund statue that I have in my den! If the kid seems relaxed, Oscar is fine, but not all kids are relaxed around dogs!

Thanks so much for listening. I really needed to talk about today's case (which I am allowed to do as long as I don't identify my client, in case you were wondering). You know how some people are just such nice, genuine people? That's how this client was!! They are not all like that, though!!!

Frzframe
01-04-2006, 05:07 PM
As for my two one Dudley runs and hides behind the tv in the bedroom or beside the toliet if he's downstairs. Mitzi watches me close then will come give me sweet kisses if I sit down.

Kerie
01-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Now I just want to go home from work and be with my Oscar.

My DH scolded him for what he did last night, then he went right to his spot in the kitchen and just stared at us if we walked into the room!

He's really a nice boy, just needs some more work!!

blueyezz74
01-04-2006, 05:35 PM
If I raise my voice, Harley runs and hides upstairs or anywhere away from me. If I'm upset, he gets into my lap and gives me doggy kisses.

Jacqueline
01-05-2006, 02:34 AM
A couple of "Marts" are notorious for screwing people on their workman's comp claims, and "W"on will fire you if they have to settle. I secretly gave a lot of advice to people working for them on how to actually get their medical care taken care of by going to the local people in charge of seeing that the companies didn't get away with this. Glad you finally got this settled.

I can't really say what Taffy would do if I lose my temper. I seldom totally blow up, but when I do, the entire block evacuates :rotfl: :rotfl: . The last time this happened, my dh decided to buy a car after I told him I didn't like it, didn't want it, please look at something else, and actually drove off without him...and he went ahead and did it anyway. He wasn't the only one that suffered, either. The dealer paid, dearly.

Sounds like your pupper is trying to stop you from losing it, but you do have to stop that behavior. Good luck, and congrats on your win today.

Kerie
01-05-2006, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=

Sounds like your pupper is trying to stop you from losing it, but you do have to stop that behavior. Good luck, and congrats on your win today.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think he is trying to parent me when he does this!!!!

I'm reading the Dog Listener and starting some of the techniques.