PDA

View Full Version : Dallas council approves doggie dining

Courtney
01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Dallas council approves doggie dining

01:23 PM CST on Wednesday, January 24, 2007

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Go dine out with Sparky and celebrate: Dallas will soon allow dogs to join their owners on restaurants’ outdoor patios.

Following an 8-5 vote Wednesday afternoon by the Dallas City Council, city food establishments may now apply for a local variance to current state laws that prohibit animals on restaurant premises.

“This is a terrific way to improve the quality of life and respond to greater density in our city,” said council member Angela Hunt, who proposed the ordinance change last year in response to constituents' requests.

“Animals are their children. I can’t blame anyone” for wanting to dine with their pets, Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Elba Garcia said. “You have a choice. You don’t have to be there. The standards are clear in this ordinance. More than anything, it’s an option for our businesses here.”

But the council didn’t arrive at its decision without debate.

“I love dogs. I don’t know if they belong in restaurants,” council member Mitchell Rasansky said. “We don’t have the staff to check this. We don’t know if the restaurants are going to clean up every 30 minutes. I don’t want to go to a restaurant and see a dog going to the bathroom there.”

Council member Bill Blaydes, noting that he owns a large dog, wondered aloud, “I can’t wait to see how this works.”

The council, he said, is “effectively creating dog parks all over Dallas. We’re going to have problems with what we are doing. Animals are animals. Something happens that bothers them, they’re going to react.”

The council’s decision does not apply to cats or other house pets, said Karen Rayzer, director of Dallas’ Environmental and Health Services Department. Meanwhile, the city doesn’t yet have an estimate of how many restaurants will apply for dogs-on-patio permits, which the Environmental and Health Services Department will grant.

If dogs on patios begin causing problems, city staff will bring the issues to a council committee for review, Ms. Rayzer said.

According to Dallas' ordinance, restaurants allowed to welcome dogs onto their patios must:

· Provide a separate entrance for outdoor patio

· Post signs that they are a “dog-friendly” restaurant

· Install curtains separating inside of a restaurant from its patio

· Prohibit dogs from going inside the restaurant and from sitting or standing on outdoor tables or chairs

· Prevent dogs from touching restaurant serving staff

That final item may prove problematic, Mayor Laura Miller said, since it’ll be difficult to prevent dogs from jumping on waiters or waitresses.

“If you read these things literally, they are not enforceable. It’s unworkable and silly,” Ms. Miller said. “There are 50,000 things that will go wrong.”

Said Ms. Hunt: “It’s funny that we’re overexaggerating … this is going to be a terrific change. This isn’t France. We’re just creating an exception.”

Dr. Garcia, Ms. Hunt and council members Gary Griffith, Pauline Medrano, Linda Koop, Steve Salazar, Ron Natinsky and Ed Oakley voted to approve the ordinance.

Ms. Miller, Mr. Rasansky, Mr. Blaydes and council members Leo Chaney and Maxine Thornton-Reese voted against it.

Mayor Pro Tem Don Hill and council member James Fantroy were absent when the vote was taken.

E-mail dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

Otto'sMom
01-24-2007, 03:46 PM
GREEN with envy. I can't get the hillbillies in this stinking place to even consider a dog park, let alone letting the anipals join me for a meal at a restaurant. I think I'd take grrrrrrrt out to eat. She's the quietest one when it comes to me eating.
(and it sounds like ol' Ms. Miller, Mr. Rasansky, Mr. Blaydes and Leo Chaney Maxine Thornton-Reese have big ol' bugs up their butts. I'd like to egg their houses, just on principle)

lotsadox
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
It's a start. I don't know how they're going to do with the 'not touching the wait staff' thing. I do think it's a step in the right direction. As far as the "this isn't France", I wish to doG we were (at least in the way they let animals go in restaurants and stores). And I love the "I don't know if they belong in restaurants". There are a lot of kids and adults that don't belong in restaurants, the way they act. I understand the pottying on the floor, but they're going to be on a patio OUTSIDE. The restaurant is going to be posted as DOG FRIENDLY. If anyone is worried about seeing a dog poop while they're eating dinner, they can eat somewhere else. JMHO.

Jen
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
NYC restaurants mostly allow dogs at outdoor tables (there are some exceptions but I'm not sure the official rule).

So Courtney, gonna show up with ALL of the doxies? They didn't set a # of dogs limit after all.....

Lisa
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
It was awesome when Tasha got to join Rafi, Jen and myself when we went to dinner in NYC. Also Tanya & her hubby John brought Rafi, me, Pixel, Piper & Peaches to an entire mall that allows dogs!

People were loving on all the weens. It was so much fun.

In downtown Toronto no one seems to care if there is a dog or not. Even our coffee shops (Second Cup) have dog water bowls outside - of course not in the winter!

quavec
01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I'd love for Courtney to bring the weens AND the Danes! what a sight THAT would be :D

Courtney
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I used to take my Dane fosters to bars all the time. It was a total hoot. They are much better-behaved in public than the wieners. :D

Jacqueline
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I used to take my Dane fosters to bars all the time. It was a total hoot. They are much better-behaved in public than the wieners. :D

Probably much better behaved than many children......I have never had a dog on sneaker skates get on my last nerve in the grocery store.

Patt
02-03-2007, 03:40 AM
I completely missed this one. Super idea I hope it passes and you can dine with your puppers.

Tex
02-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Very cool!! They recently passed a similar law in Austin. It is now up to the restaurant if they want to allow dogs on their patios. The only big rule that stuck in my head, is the dogs have to stay at ground level. The only time we've tried this, is at an indoor/outdoor restaurant/bar that has live music on the weekends. We took our pups and another couple we know with 2 doxies took theirs. It was a blast!!! (Julie kept trying to drink my margarita though....:duh: )