PDA

View Full Version : Scary moment here

alfina
01-27-2007, 09:10 PM
So, I got home after work tonight and got wein's dinner ready. I cut up some chicken breast and some organs. Of course, they all rushed to inhale it. Well, one of the pieces must have gotten stuck or something because Sofie just froze and stood there with her mouth opening and closing.

Thank doG I was right there. I tried to see in her mouth but couldn't see anything. And even if I did, raw is so slippery, you'd never be able to pull it out. I did the maneuver that they teach for humans a couple of times and she started breathing again and screaming at the same time. She was so freaked out and so was I. While trying to dislodge the piece I honestly thought that I was going to watch her die right in front of me.

And what was Seb doing while I was trying to save his pal? Rushing over to grab her dinner. :sosad:

I think I am done with raw. I am going to finish off the medallions I have and I am going back to kibble. At least with kibble they take a few min to eat it instead of trying to inhale their raw in sec.

Otto'sMom
01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
First off, YIKES for the big time scare. Nothing worse than a freaked out doxie, good job on staying calm and taking control.

Second....:rotfl: at Seb stealing her food as she gasped for life. Typical doxie!

Patt
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Oh boy that was a scary moment. I'm glad you were able to get her breathing again.
Raw is not for everyone and I'm a big fan of kibble!! :)

oceangirls
01-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Good save, Mom :) :hug99:

K2
01-27-2007, 10:05 PM
:wow: That must have been scary!! Good job at keeping calm and saving the day! :appl:

Pippit got something stuck when I first switched him too. That's why I fed him medallians for a while after that. :) You do what's best for your babies~and you.

Frzframe
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow glad you were on hand and kept a cool head.

I thought I was going to have to do the same thing you did with Lily this morning but she was only eating dry food. She was finally able to work it out herself thank goodness.

Lisa
01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
I had something similar with Pixel, that's why I use the medallions as well, I have never had an issue with them. You have to do what works for you.

Courtney
01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
I agree with everyone who says you have to do what works for you BUT this is why it is advocated to feed LARGE hunks of meaty bones so that this exact thing does not happen. Dogs don't chew, they inhale and this stuff can get stuck as you see. Best not to cut stuff up for them. And yes as Shonda posted, it can happen with regular dog food too. I think you need to do some more research on raw but I think it is worth it to stick with it.