PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the gobbling?

Almost Doxie
01-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Millie eats her food so fast that she sometimes chokes a little on it. Other than hand feeding her each piece of kibble (which we are doing now), does anyone know of a way to slow her down. I tried putting golf balls in her bowl but she just pushes them out and then gobbles.

Yolanda
01-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Rocks - clean rocks.

Almost Doxie
01-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Ah, that should do the trick. thank you.

Patt
01-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Great suggestion. Something else you might consider is the Brake Bowl.

http://www.brake-fast.net/

akiss
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
There are also food puzzles or treat toys

http://www.dogtoys.com/bustercubes.html

Dobby has the ball.... and the cool thing is there is a maxze inside so food does not always come out he has to play with it.

Hope this helps!!!

AgileOllie
01-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Something I was told about once was actually freezing the kibble. Put it in the freezer an hour or so before feeding time. I've never used it before, but heard that it works. If you decide to try it, let me know how it works.

Almost Doxie
01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Freezing the kibble...interesting. we can try that tonight. Thank you for all the good suggestions. The brake-fast bowl looks very interesting too.

Almost Doxie
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Freezing her food did nothing to slow the little gobble monkey down. I ordered the brake-fast bowl this morning. hopefully that will work.

Courtney
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I heard that you can feed them on a cookie sheet - so their food is scattered. Or put their food inside a water bottle or milk jug so they have to work to get it out - same concept as the buster cube, really.

Tex
01-31-2007, 01:34 PM
The brake-fast bowl does look interesting. I would like to see more about how it works (I watched the video, but I need more details). Julie gobbles her food. We've not really had any ill effects, but if I could slow her down, it would be good for her I'm sure. I would be afraid that little doxie noses could get around the things inside that bowl. I will be interested to hear how it works out!

Lee Anne
01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
My vet told me about the clean rocks too! Good ideas! I really like that bowl Patt mentioned! That's cool and you don't have to worry about keeping clean rocks around.