PDA

View Full Version : My DH gave cooked pork rib bones to the girls....

Michelle
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
:omg: :faint: I did not see him do this, but I was watching him eat last night and he was finishing up his dinner, and I went upstairs to take a shower and came back down about 10 minutes later to see the girls finishing up pork rib bones that my DH gave them and they had already eaten 3/4 of the bones,,

I told him I give them the bones raw not cooked and he said ,, Oh, well,
I just figured if I can eat them cooked then the dogs can too,, He does eat the bones by they way,, well he chews them up and then spits the gross pile of stuff on the plate..

The girls seemed just fine, and I am still a bit worried, but how bad are cooked pork rib bones,,

I know that cooked chicken bones are bad for them,, but the pork rib bones seemed very soft, I poked around and looked at one that my husband still had on his plate and he had it pretty chewed up and the bone seemed very soft..

I am still kinda freaked out by this,,,,

Patt
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Cooked rib bones can splinter and puncture the intestines or the esophagus. Since it's been a few hours the girls are probably going to be fine, more than likely the ribs will pass with no problems. I would check their stools to see if there is any blood in them, if so get them to the vet ASAP. To give you peace of mind, call your vet and ask him. JMHO

LexieLuvr
01-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Ugh - not a good thing. DH needs some edumacation, i tink! Good suggestion offered - keep a wary eye, call vet JIC.

alfina
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I remember when Seb went to his obedience class, there was a ve student with his dog in class. He said to never give pork rib bones to dogs. He saw cases when perforation happened after eating them. So, watch them.

Michelle
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
So far the girls are just fine, DH is home still recouping from surgery and he said they are just fine, running around playing and he said he could not go out and check their poop because it is freezing cold, snowing and he is still on crutches..

It is dark by the time I get home at 5pm, but I assume that if the girls are
running around and acting normally at 12pm noon today that all is OK with them.

He said they are both acting their silly crazy self, playing with each other etc..

So, I hope all will be OK, and maybe I should go out in the yard with a flashlight when I get home..

I told him not to give them any cooked bones ever, he said sorry, but Princess and Heidi had been giving him those sad puppy eyes the whole time he was eating and he really did not think about what he was doing..

quavec
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
A long time ago, I was under the misconception that COOKED bones were okay, raw ones were not. Since getting to know many of the RAW feeders here, I've since learned that it's the opposite. Cooking them causes them to soften and with the gulping action of most dogs when they get 'table food', the splinters can create a nightmare in their intestines. I'm sure your DH is of the same mind - just didn't know better.

Best to just stick to kibble unless you know what you're doing with bones, imo.

So glad your crew is fine! I'm sure they enjoyed their treat from daddy :D

Courtney
02-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Cooking them causes them to soften and with the gulping action of most dogs when they get 'table food', the splinters can create a nightmare in their intestines. :D

It is actually the opposite - raw bones are soft and digestible. Cooking causes them to harden and splinter!! The gulping isn't going to be an issue here. Gulping only causes an issue if the dog starts to choke while gulping. Unlike us, dogs don't need to chew their food. They do all their digestion in their stomach. They only chew stuff to get it small enough to get down into the stomach. But if a cooked bone is down there and it's hard and splinters, it can puncture thier insides and it can be hard to digest, so yes, problems are likely!

lizzieb38
02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Having worked for a vet, I don't suggest giving dogs ANY kind of bones-cooked or uncooked, and no matter what critter it came from. I've seen way too many horrid surgeries because the owners gave the dogs bones!!!!!

Tex
02-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Sending lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Heidi and Princess! Hopefully everything will pass with no ill side effects!:pray:

quavec
02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
It is actually the opposite - raw bones are soft and digestible. Cooking causes them to harden and splinter!! The gulping isn't going to be an issue here. Gulping only causes an issue if the dog starts to choke while gulping. Unlike us, dogs don't need to chew their food. They do all their digestion in their stomach. They only chew stuff to get it small enough to get down into the stomach. But if a cooked bone is down there and it's hard and splinters, it can puncture thier insides and it can be hard to digest, so yes, problems are likely!

This goes to show why I don't feed bones at all :D

Michelle
02-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Their doing just fine now, there were no problems, and my DH knows now to let the bone feeding to me. Heidi and Princess get raw bones from me, and he just assumed that he could give them the cooked ones, until I explained everything to him..

So, all is well thankfully they never got sick...