PDA

View Full Version : Otto to the Vet/Pokey Parallel

Otto'sMom
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
This is so weird. I just read Pokey's story and it's just about identical to Otto's:shocked:

Otto had a bad bout of the runs on Monday. Thought it might just be from me coming home 30 minutes later than normal. Cleaned up the Fortress of Gertitiude, bathed Otto and Grrrt and went on with our normal routine. He's acting normal the whole time, except for being clearly upset over the mess he's made.

Tuesday, Otto has a repeat of Monday.....:scratch: maybe it's something he ate, so no special treats for Otto.

Tuesday night, Otto had a audible rumbly tummy and woke me up 2 times to take him out to poop. Lots of straining and little squirtage action. 3rd time in the AM, he left presents on the rug.

So, I consult my handy vet's reference guide-I would've consulted you all here, but knew what the answer would be: TAKE HIM TO THE VET. The book said if he was shaking and in pain, to take him. He showed no signs of that. But since he had the runs for more than 24 hours, I erred on the side of overworried mom, and took him in when I went to get Austin from the groomer.
His anal glands were full, and he's got TONS of bacteria in his poop. Colitis is the diagnosis and we've got the yuckky pills and immodium AD (1/4 tab when he has the runs). I can't think for the life of me what he could've gotten into that none of the other dogs did. We do everything together.

It's just so twilight zone that a dog in California that posts on this board (Pokey) and Otto all the way on the East Coast got the same thing.

lotsadox
01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Totally weird! :duh: It does sound like some kind of bug though. They can get one dog and not bother another. Just like flu and colds with us! :dunno:

Jen
01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Glad you have meds! Hope Otto is 100% better soon! :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Patt
01-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Otto, poor little guy. Sending lots of healing :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: his way. I hope he gets better soon. :pray:

Pokeys Mom
01-04-2006, 10:22 PM
:bighug: Oh, I know what you are going through! Poor Otto. (Pokey puked up the Immodium, so it was rush to the vet time then.) It's scary how bad they can get so quickly. Did your vet prescribe Flagyl? It works miracles.

Major healing :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for Pokey's tummy twin!

Otto'sMom
01-05-2006, 12:05 AM
We've got metronidazole. Thankfully, Otto wasn't barfing and took his mint flavored immodium in peanut butter. :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: to his tummy twin!

K2
01-05-2006, 09:06 AM
:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for Otto. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Patt
01-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Sending more :rayz: :rayz: for Otto. Hurry and get well!:hearts: