PDA

View Full Version : Milo's Story

doxiechick
01-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Sorry, I put this at the end of my Ina's babies thread. I didn't know if anyone would see it.

Milo came from a back yard breeder. I met her at a dog show where she presented herself as a reputable breeder who had just found out she had cancer and needed to re-home some of her dogs. She had 6 dogs she wanted to give up.

I called her two days later and told her I had foster space for 2 dogs and I could come and get them a few days later. OMG.....She lived up in the hills of WV in a shack with about 50 dogs. There were about 30 of them in kennels out on a "back porch" and the rest of them were loose in the house. She had a litter of wires about 4 weeks old.

I took 3 dogs that day because I could not stand to leave them there. One was a beautiful chocolate/tan girl that was 3 that was blind as a bat (vet said it was congental cataracts, one was a liitle red girl tht she called "Wacky" because she would just sit in the back of her crate (not a kennel) and would go nuts if you tried to get her or pick her up and then poor Miss Pitty. She was only 7 months old and had demodectic mange so bad she had no hair and crusted all over with scabs and smelled to high heaven.

I went back about 2 months later and got 6 more dogs. One of those was Milo. He had not been socalized and had some very fearful behavior problems. He is somewhat better now but I have to leash him when people come into my home and let him settle down after about 10 minutes.Then, there can not be any fast movements or he will bite/nip your ankles. Ask Yolanda....he has nailed her once or twice. He is a work in progress. My hubby was not going to let me adopt him......3 dogs, 1 foster.....that's it.

Well, my 50th birthday was coming ad I decided what I wanted for my birthday. So Milo has been here since (3 years) He is dangerous because he is so darn cute!!!! Sorry to go on, but he is my baby.

BTW, all the other 8 dogs got great homes. Ms. Pitty's hair came back and she was a brindle. Yolanda took one to foster almost as bad as Pitty; she ended up as a LH brindle.

Otto'sMom
01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
:hearts:
I secretly hope that "reputable" breeder gets what those poor pups had. Thank goodness you ran into (and too bad you didn't run over) that woman. To make such a big difference in so many dogs lives:angel7:
:bighug:

Patt
01-05-2006, 03:10 AM
What a wonderful story, I love happy endings and this particular one is great. :hearts: :hearts: I'm glad you put in Adopt/Rescue so everyone can enjoy.

Yolanda
01-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Ina,

Thanks for Milo's story. She however left two minor details out.

One, I went along for the ride with her on the second trip and was appalled at the conditions the dogs lived in. We had to "play nice" to get the dogs and it was very hard. I brought back a tiny hairless LH girl that eventally turned out to be a beautiful brindle.

Two, later on the woman tried to "sue" us to get the dogs back because we missrepresented ourselves. Needless to say we called her bluff and all turned out Ok.

Today we have no clue on her where abouts etc. She lived in an area with no laws to prevent puupy mills and I think the local authorities turned there backs on what she did or did not do.

I do love Milo but .... you need to take care around him. All of the other puppers were vetted and when they wer all better placed in wonderful homes.

Nancy
01-05-2006, 08:16 AM
It's very annoying to hear that the local authorities turn their back on someone like that. The upside to the whole situation is that there are people like Ina and Yolanda and everyone else who does rescue. Thanks for watching over the little ones who can't fend for themselves. :appl:

JanUet
01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
:hearts: God Bless you Ina and Yolanda :hearts:

Without you Two :bigang: :bigang: where would these precious babies be?

Thank you so much for caring!:bighug: :kisses:

LUVMYGUNNER
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks for recueing those precious little guys.:appl:

lotsadox
01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Bless both of you for saving these little guys! You're truly rescue :angel7: s. Thanks for the great story.

Yolanda
01-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Ina did all of the hard work. I was just along for the ride.

MomToDolly&Madison
01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
that we have such caring people here. Thank you Ina and Yolanda!:appl: