PDA

View Full Version : Is Innova too rich for your puppers???

Michelle
01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
OK, I need some advice here, I think that the Innova puppy kibble I have been mixing with the Solid Gold and Nutro is too rich for Heidi and Princess.

I have been trying to wean them off the Nutro and have them on a complete diet of Solid Gold Hunchen Flocken and Innova, but when I mix the food 75% Solid Gold and Hunchen Flocken and 25% Nutro their stools get really really loose and mushy almost like Diahrrea, but when I go back to my mixture
of 50% Nutro and 50% Solid Gold and Innova they seem to be fine.

I think it is the Innova that is too rich for their tummies and causing the poopy problems, cause one day I mixed too much Innova, more than usual into the mix and that is when the loose stools started, but when I took the mixture back to 50% Nutro and 25% Solid Gold and 25% Innova they do just great on it, very firm and solid stools and very small ones.

I still want to go with a half raw diet and decided that I am just going to have to go with the frozen Nature's variety patties.. I give Courtney and the others a huge hand:appl: :appl: for being able to do raw from scratch, I just cannot afford the time for that, it is just way too time consuming for me and the tiny bit of time I have available.

I am holding off on doing the half raw patties until I can figure out a good mixture for the dry kibble.

I was really bummed out when I tried to go with mostly Solid Gold and Innova and very little Nutro and their stools got so loose..

Starting tonight I am going to just sprinkle in some of the Innova kibble and feed mostly Solid Gold and Nutro and see what happens with that I guess, and then maybe start to go with 75% Solid Gold and 25% Nutro,,

I would hate to just leave out the Innova because I really like the ingredients in it, but maybe I just might have to use that once in a while as a small snack, a few tidbits here and there....

How many of your puppers cannot handle the rich protein in the Innova regular or the Innova Evo?????

Thanks for any and all suggestions,,

I am also giving them the Solid Gold Seameal too..

LUVMYGUNNER
01-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I switched Gunner over to Evo/Natural Balance about a year ago and didn't have that problem but I know a few people have had that happen.

oceangirls
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Angel, who is kind of picky, really likes Evo, but the stools got kind of loose and did not smell good when I had transitioned to mostly Evo. I now feed a combination of Evo, Natural Balance Light, Wellness canned, and a little Wellness kibble for Cassie (who likes it). They do very well on this regimen - healthy coats and weights are good.

The Innova products are pretty rich, but I like the quality and minimal ingredients/additives.

Lisa
01-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Evo was too rich for my guys, mushy poop, but on the RAW Nature's Variety Medallions, with a little pumpkin really has made a world of difference.

Now I give one medallion each in the morning and two for dinner - so easy! I used to give two for breakfast and two for dinner, but they were getting a little chubby so once I cut out the one medallion (and the oodles of treats!), they dropped the weight really quickly.

Jen
01-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Tasha has been eating Evo for about a year and we rarely have problems with mushy stools. However, she gets 1 t. yogurt with breakfast and supper, and a spoonful of pumpkin with supper. Don't know if that's what makes a difference. Do you feed Heidi and Princess any yogurt or pumpkin??

blueyezz74
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Harley was on Evo for about a year until I just recently switched to a diet dog food. His poop was solid but boy did it stink! :eek:

lotsadox
01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I have Scooter on Evo and haven't had any problems. My vet did mention that it was very rich and to feed less of it than I did of the previous kibble. As far as feeding raw, I use the Nature's Variety patties for Miller and Sweetums and the medallions for Cash and Bogart (I use the medallions to help with weight loss. It's an easy portion control). I also :appl: :appl: Courtney and others who feed raw and do everything from scratch. It's the best way. I just don't have the time.

Courtney
01-05-2006, 06:49 PM
You guys! I don't want to hijack this thread but feeding raw is easy and NOT time consuming! I spend about 2 hours on it every month or every 6 weeks.

Auggie's Mom
01-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Interesting question. Auggie's poop was fine when I was feeding him Innova Evo, but he did gain four pounds. I always thought I was giving him too many treats while we were doing obedience training, but now I'm thinking it could be the Innova. :confused:

Now he's on special IVD food because he has a skin allergy and we're thinking somthing in his food may be the culprit.

Michelle
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Do you feed Heidi and Princess any yogurt or pumpkin??

No, I have not tried that yet, I don't know where to get the fresh pumpkin from other than buying a whole one, are there cans of fresh pumpkin out there that are not the kind for the pies???

I know Courtney you keep saying it is so easy and not time consuming but it just seems like it is, I can't help get over that idea when I hear about the
shopping that you do and all the chopping up and bagging and freezing..

But doesn't a raw diet all that soft fresh food give them softer stools?? Cause I know when I feed the canned food their stools always get softer after
eating the canned food. What are there stools like on a raw diet...

I really think it is the Innova and I should cut back on it, and feed more of the Solid Gold.

oceangirls
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
No, I have not tried that yet, I don't know where to get the fresh pumpkin from other than buying a whole one, are there cans of fresh pumpkin out there that are not the kind for the pies???

100% pure canned pumpkin is usually very easy to find (not pie filling). My stores usually keep it in the section with canned fruits. Scoop it out of the can and put it in Tupperware and it is good in the refrig for a week. :) My girls like it.

Courtney
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Since dogs who eat raw utilize most of what they eat, the poop is very very small and firm. It is odorless too! It is the BEST!!

Michelle
01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
100% pure canned pumpkin is usually very easy to find (not pie filling). My stores usually keep it in the section with canned fruits. Scoop it out of the can and put it in Tupperware and it is good in the refrig for a week. :) My girls like it.

Thanks, I'll have to look for it,,

Michelle
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Since dogs who eat raw utilize most of what they eat, the poop is very very small and firm. It is odorless too! It is the BEST!!

OK, I like to hear this, this way when they are doing zoomies in the backyard
I don't have to worry about them stepping in mushy poop..

I will first start out trying the frozen patties and I will slowly try and work my way up to doing from scratch, I will have to see how it goes with the patties. God, I just feel like I am so lazy, but maybe if I have an energetic weekend it might end up being easy and fun, I can't say until I actually try it, so I will have to try it..