PDA

View Full Version : Salsa did the teeter!!!!!

areese
02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
After weeks and weeks of practicing in the house on just the teeter board, Salsa did a real teeter (agility teeter-totter) last night! I've been really hesitant to try her on a "real" teeter as I know I need to teach her to run all the way to the end without stopping or else it won't tip down cuz she's so light. Plus it just seems scary to me to have such a teeny dog do the teeter...I thought about never doing it but then I can't have her in classes really....or ever seriously trial with her. Not that I GOTTA do that but she does love agility. And all the public pressure I get to run her :rotfl: Everyone wants to see her run :)
ANYWAY at home we do the board every day like 20 times with treats on the ends...it only tips a tiny bit and sometimes I put something under it so it tips more. So while Pat and I were practicing last night (we rent floor space at an agility place) we had her try the teeter. Not full height- it was at about 2.5-3 feet. She just ran right down to the end while Pat held it and lowered it slowly. Finally she let it fall on its own..it doesn't fall fast at all with that tiny dog on it but it did bounce a bit when it hit the floor. Salsa couldn't have cared less-she was only concerned cuz it made her treat fall out of her mouth. She's so brave. My only concern now is that she has to get away from it after she gets off so it doesn't hit her when it goes back up. I'm still gonna go real slow with it and it will be a while until we do a full-height teeter but it's going well :)

Tex
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah for the Salsalita!!!!!
Keep up the great work Amy!!!!!:appl: :appl: :appl:

Patt
02-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Salsa is one brave little girl. :cheer2: :cheer2: I hope all goes well for her in agilty.

catstamm
02-11-2007, 02:10 AM
C'mon mom don't you have a camera man yet??? WE want pics of the action!!!! GO SALSA:appl:

LexieLuvr
02-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Wow - what a huge accomplishment for such a little girl! GO, SALSA!!! WaaaaaaaaHoooooooooo!

areese
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
C'mon mom don't you have a camera man yet??? WE want pics of the action!!!! GO SALSA:appl:
Yeah...where is the parapazzi when you need them, anyway?????????

JanUet
02-11-2007, 09:44 AM
:woohoo: SALSA!!!

You GO Girl! Show em how it's done! :D

Rafi
02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
A BIG YAY!!! For Salsa and :hug99:

Alex's Mom
02-11-2007, 10:23 AM
You know, Amy, that little girl is just full of surpirses (mostly pleasant :rolleyes:) I'm dying to meet her in person (:scratch: now how can I get to Michigan..?)

areese
02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
You know, Amy, that little girl is just full of surpirses (mostly pleasant :rolleyes:) I'm dying to meet her in person (:scratch: now how can I get to Michigan..?)

She's a very cool little dog. I say come anytime. Plane, train, bus, car...hitchhiking....

lotsadox
02-11-2007, 11:30 AM
:congrats: That's a big step for a little dog! :woohoo: Go, Salsa! :boogie:

jenfer
02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
That's great!

I can see that it's a tricky situation for her. Would it be possible that it won't tip down at all??? Or have her just do jumper course? There are only tunnels and jumps.

I think dogs are great... doing all these crazy stuff in agility. Me, for one will not walk up that scary steep A-frame. And the dark and dirty tunnel??????? FORGET IT. :lol:

areese
02-11-2007, 12:58 PM
That's great!

I can see that it's a tricky situation for her. Would it be possible that it won't tip down at all??? Or have her just do jumper course? There are only tunnels and jumps.

I think dogs are great... doing all these crazy stuff in agility. Me, for one will not walk up that scary steep A-frame. And the dark and dirty tunnel??????? FORGET IT. :lol:

A regulation teeter is supposed to tip with 3 pounds on it...she's close to that so we should be ok. There are lots of CPE games she can do without the teeter....Fullhouse you make your own course and while you have ONE contact, it usually isn't the teeter. She loves the dogwalk and a-frame...no fear at all in this tiny girl. Level 1 in CPE has no teeters at all! So she could do all runs including Standard in level 1. And of course Jumpers. She has run two Jumpers runs already in trials but didnt' qualify cuz she decided some of the tunnels were too scary and she barked at the judge. I'm just gonna keep moving ahead slowly with teeter training and see how it goes. My other two dogs are not fond of it either. When they start trialing, they realize not all teeters are the same (some tip faster, slower, later, earlier) and it freaks them out. Laika always looks over the side and will not go fast at all. People say she is looking for trolls under the teeter....