PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on the Cost of Proper Dog Ownership

Alex's Mom
02-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Thought this was an interesting (and fairly accurate) look at how muchit costs to be a responsible dog (and cat) owner. (It's in Cdn$, but you can get the gist of it...!)

http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca/How+much+do+dogs+and+cats+really+cost/Home/ContentPosting_CL.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=237001&feedname=TRANS-CANADIAN-LIVING&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

lotsadox
02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I didn't read the article in detail, but that's probably a fair estimate. I think mine runs a little higher because of feeding raw and my vet is expensive, but very good. The DH once said "I don't suppose I want to know how much we spend on the dogs every year". I just looked at him and said "No." :rotfl: :rotfl: I don't know. I"ve never added it up. It would probably scare me if I did find out. :scared1:

Red Haired Girl
02-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Sometimes I think I spend that much a month!
It is pretty close; though it is x 2 around here. Think of Mama and Yolanda :faint:

Lisa
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
That is a great article Paula. I would say pretty accurate too. I just came back from the pet store $90 lighter! :shocked:

Of course they will be eating goat, duck, quail, turkey, venison and rabbit this month! Rafi and I will be eating Kraft dinner :lol: And they are worth every last penny!!:hearts:

catstamm
02-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Great article....I'm not really sure I want to calculate ALL the expenses together but I estimate the girls to be $2,000. per year...Oh ya they eat too, oh and toys, and ..I don't want to know :rotfl:
Oh and lets not forget all the vet bills on the rescues come out of my and lee annes pocket. The disadvantage of not being a large or nationwide non-profit organization :(

Otto'sMom
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not reading it at all....I just dropped over $100 at Petsmart on just Rawhides cat litter and 2 of those awesome little doxie placemats that I'd gotten for Karen earlier this year.
Do they even take into account the dollahs we drop on stuff that just reminds us of our puppers?

Neshane
02-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't think they considered all the toys,collars & clothes I buy for my dog. She has a better wardrobe than I do!! Not to mention the best dog food money can buy too.
At least I don't have to pay for grooming. Man, for a bath, nails, brushing cause up to $25.00 and that's for a smooth coated dog.

Otto'sMom
02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Speaking of food: I bought all sorts of healthy tuna for P'daisy, you would've thought I was the health nut, but 75% of my groceries were for dogs.

Alex's Mom
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, the depressing thing is that Alex costs me approximately that every month. and is worth every single penny. And more. Much more. :hearts::hearts: Some things you just can't put a price tag on!

Patt
02-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Interesting article, looks like the right figures. Thanks for posting.

Jacqueline
02-12-2007, 02:12 AM
I'm not going to read it, because it's better that I don't know, lol. My dh said one reason I couldn't get another girl is because they cost too much (we were in the vet's office at the time). I told him sure we could, we just had to make sure all her shots were due in Sept.

I managed to raise two boys, and feed them and all their friend with big appetites during their growing years, and I never figured out how much that cost me, either.

Can't put a price on puppy love.

Tex
02-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Good article. I wish people would read something like this before running out on the "Hey, I want a puppy!" whim........

Jacqueline
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Good article. I wish people would read something like this before running out on the "Hey, I want a puppy!" whim........

I still haven't read the article, and I will say upfront that I think a lot of people are just too stupid to live. I'll bet Andrea would agree with that. Now having said that......

When people get pets today, it's from petstores (bad, bad, bad) shelters or rescues. The best is shelters and rescues, because they actually make you get them spayed or neutered, in most cases, and the ones around here start you off with all the shots.....and they check you out.

I got Taffy from animal control, and Daisy from the Humane society. Both were owner surrenders. Taffy was 11 months, Daisy was 7 months. Both were spayed, Taffy by the shelter, Daisy by her owners. Both had shots, and both places had me fill out long questionaires about previous pets, pets currently in the home, work, where they would stay when I was gone, how long they would stay alone, where they would sleep, my vet, etc. Also, other people in the home, children, who would visit. Lots of stuff. They ran a background on my driver's licence for a record. The HS called me for three months, checking up on Daisy, asking if she was okay, did we still want her.

Pet stores don't do that, and hopefully, most people are learning not to buy from them....but they are so expensive that it does cut down on impulse buying. In FLorida, you have to have health certificates to sell a cat or dog, so that helps, too.

I don't think that most people think pet care is cheap.....and I really believe most people know that dachshunds can be very expensive, and require more care because of their backs.

I also think that there is a lot more public education out there on pet ownership, and that public outrage at animal cruelty has made a difference, too. Now, if we could just shut down all the puppy mills.

I did meet a woman coming out of the library the other day, who was talking to her kids about getting them a dog. We spoke for a while, and she will be getting one either from one of the three shelters, or from a rescue. Score one more for the good guys :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tex
02-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Reguardless of where the pet comes from (petstore, breeder, rescue, shelter...), pets require a certain amount of money to maintain in a happy healthy lifestyle. There are always additional expenses on top of food and regular shots. Dentals, back issues (for doxies), many other breeds are pre-disposed to certain problems and I'm sure there are a ton of people who don't research a breed before they get a dog. I think that there are still a lot of people who get a pet (dog/cat/or otherwise), who do not look at it as a committment for the lifetime of that pet!
That is the mentality that needs changing with people!

catstamm
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Reguardless of where the pet comes from (petstore, breeder, rescue, shelter...), pets require a certain amount of money to maintain in a happy healthy lifestyle. There are always additional expenses on top of food and regular shots. Dentals, back issues (for doxies), many other breeds are pre-disposed to certain problems and I'm sure there are a ton of people who don't research a breed before they get a dog. I think that there are still a lot of people who get a pet (dog/cat/or otherwise), who do not look at it as a committment for the lifetime of that pet!
That is the mentality that needs changing with people!

I totally agree Georgann...
I'm going to have to disagree with a couple of statments you made Jacqueline...
"I don't think that most people think pet care is cheap.....and I really believe most people know that dachshunds can be very expensive, and require more care because of their backs.

I also think that there is a lot more public education out there on pet ownership, and that public outrage at animal cruelty has made a difference, too. "
In a perfect world this would be true ...unfortunately not everyone sees it the way you, I, and others on this board do.
Although everyone has the education at their finger tips by the use of internet...most DON"T choose to use it.
And it is also evident many pet owners don't think pet ownership is expensive, by the thousands of dogs that go to shelters and rescues because people don't want to pay for their dogs medical needs!!!!
RARELY do we get and application that estimates a dogs needs for 1 year to equal $1,000.00....most put $100. to $250.00 for the annual cost of a pet????

John Q. Public still needs a lot of work to reach the standards that we have for pet care....
So people like us still need to share as often as possible....like you did at the library :)

lotsadox
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
ITA with Cat. Very few people that adopt from DROH know when they put in an app the realistic cost of pet ownership. Pets are often "impulse purchases" unfortunately. :sosad:

Jen
08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I thought this article was worth a bump up. Especially given the expenses our members with multiples (Andrea) and older dogs (Patrice) have been dealing with recently. I have started a savings account for Tasha's medical care in her golden years. Kind of like saving for college.....

Compared to my estimated costs back when I filled out the adoption form for Tasha. Not even close to what I really spend. :rolleyes:

lotsadox
08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
You're a smart woman, Jen. I keep one credit card that I never use. If I have an emergency and I've got a lot on my other cards, I use it for the dogs. When Pebbles developed problems and we were at the e-vet and regular vet constantly and had NO money, I didn't have to worry about it. I just whipped out the emergency card and figured I'd pay it off as I could. It also has a low interest and low minimum payments. Always a plus :wink:

Jacqueline
08-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Yep, no doubt about it, our pets can be expensive. But.....Daisy was sitting here telling me she thought that the upkeep of people's habit's were just as expensive. For instance, smoker's - at the average cost of 3.50 a pack, any one who smokes a pack a day spends $1277.50 a year, and many brands are higher. That doesn't include the cost of cleaning everything of second-hand smoke. An average 6-pack of beer is about $5.66 - one a week is $295.

She claims puppers are well worth the little we pay for them, and the annual upkeep, and far better for our health.

I work with the public, and none I have met going thru my line would ever put down that they thought the upkeep on any dog would be $100 to $250 a year. They know that food alone is more than that.

And Cat, I think you underestimate the intelligence of the rest of the world as far as the ability to use and understand the internet. There are an AMAZING NUMBER of intelligent people out there. Just on this board alone........

Jen
08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh yeah, worth every penny. I'd rather spend money on meds and treats for Tasha than on stuff for me. And I know many of you feel the same!

Jill
08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I've said it before, I refuse to really add up the money I spend on B&R. They are totally spoiled and they know it. From their chiropractor visits and doggy daycare to the holistic and all natural food I buy for them. Every penney is worth it.

Speaking of, B&R just got their 'back to school" pictures taken. I should have them in a few weeks. *cries*

Jacqueline
08-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I've said it before, I refuse to really add up the money I spend on B&R. They are totally spoiled and they know it. From their chiropractor visits and doggy daycare to the holistic and all natural food I buy for them. Every penney is worth it.

Speaking of, B&R just got their 'back to school" pictures taken. I should have them in a few weeks. *cries*

I am only adding it up if Uncle Sam gives the a SS number and lets me claim them as dependents on my tax return. I can't walk out of any of the three major pet stores with any money left in my wallet, lol. But nooooo, they aren't spoiled :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: