PDA

View Full Version : Aversion to rain or snow?

Mikey
12-01-2005, 12:13 PM
If it's raining out, the dogs will run out...stop...turn around and try to run back inside. Then sometimes if I let this occur they'll run downstairs and pee/poo downstairs. Does anyone else have this problem? I've tried to just close the door, but Max will climb up on the door jam and pin himself against the door until it's opened. If they HAVE to pee when I open the door they will hesitate, then go out and pee. If it's not pressing, then they wait and go downstairs. Max will even pee/poo on the porch if it's snow covered. I don't want to scold him as a) it's not constant and b) I don't want him to mistake and think he shouldn't be going outside.

Fluffy
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Miss Priss Heidi HATES any kind of poison drop outside. She will run out and do her duty as fast as possible to get back inside. Buddy doesn't care too much for the rain. If he goes out naked, he'll just stand there looking miserable, but if he has his raincoat on he'll take his time and get his buisness done. As far as snow, half the time I have to pick Buddy up and carry him back in when its time to come inside. I think that little boy would stay outside all day if I'd let him!! As far as the snow, you could try shoveling a spot for them in the grass. We used to have to do that with Ben because he would just stand there and look at you with this "You expect me to do what where? Yeah right buddy" look on his face. Everyone but one couple in my houe has a dog so there are several shoveld spots in the back yard. The little girl upstairs gets annoyed b/c she still likes to go out and play in the snow so we try to do it off to the side. Do your babies have coats? That might also help with the snow and even the rain to make them stay out long enough to do their jobs.

Mikey
12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
We've got coats on order. I should have got a rain coat, but I couldn't resist the NS tartan pattern on one and the cute look of the other for Mini. I'll give the coats a try when they get here through mailorder.

Lisa
12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Rain = poison falling from the sky. Both mine hate rain (but do okay in the snow). They have rain coats that I found at a "Buck or Two". They still just stick their noses outside and give at me with the "do I HAVE to" look - but they do eventually go outside. And when they do, it's like they have discovered a cure for the common cold with the treats and praise they get.

lotsadox
12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I've never had a dachshund that didn't hate the poison drops. Ours potty in the garage a lot when it rains, but if they're shut in the bedroom/study/bath where they stay during the day they will usually just use the bathroom rugs for pee pads :mad: or sometimes they use the posts on the bed. :mad1:

Jen
12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Tasha also loathes the rain. We have to carry her 3 blocks to her favorite potty spot as she refuses to walk if its raining. But the little stinker is happy to walk home again once she's done. She's unidirectional in the rain--only goes home.

We have a two raincoats but it makes no difference to her--just makes her easier for us to try off when we get her home.

Snow she doesn't mind as much but she doesn't like the cold.

Jacqueline
12-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Taffy had to go out in the rain for the first time apparently....heaven only knows where she was going before now. She stopped on the porch and gave me that "uh....I don't do wet" look. I asked did she want me to get an umbrella?

However, being the super smart pup she is, she figured out that if she slipped under the railing, she could stay under the hurricane awning and never have to get wet. Luckily for her, the real blowing downpour hadn't started yet.

I wonder how she plans to make it thru the summer when it rains a part of every day:shocked:

LUVMYGUNNER
12-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Gunner doesn't like to go out in the rain but Petunia will.

Chrystyna
12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Piper is AWFUL if it's cold outside. God help me get her out there if it's raining!!! She'll hit the dog door and turn around faster then I can blink. She's such a big baby. As soon as winter starts I have to keep her dressed at all times because she just shivers non stop even in the house.

Our only hope of gettting her to go to the bathroom if it's raining is standing out there in the rain with her and not letting her in until she does her business.

mayhew
12-07-2005, 08:06 PM
no problem to pee in the rain but a quick poop if any is out of the question :rofl:

Patt
12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
We don't have snow and Trixie is not really crazy about rain but will tolerate it. :)

Anatresia
12-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Exactly what mine do. Well, one of mine. Miss Rigby is so pretty, but no so smart, so all I have to do is say, "Are there squirrels outside?" and she will take off, despite the rain.

But Mr. B, oh no, there's no tricking him. He will hold it all day and then finally go into the basement and poop on the floor. If the basement door is shut, he will go on the floor we're we are not- if we're upstairs, he'll use the first floor and vice versa. Very, very annoying. Or he'll go in front of the side door, not the door he potties out of, mind you, but the door I have to leave from. I think he thinks because we only go down there to leave, we might not see it for a while! :rofl: He is a brat.

I offer puppy pads when it's really bad out, because it saves the carpet! :)

Jacqueline
12-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Years ago, I remember a friend of mine had an older dog who would sometimes need out at night. He trained himself to use the shower stall.

If it weren't for the way their backs are made, and the firm belief that she would fall in :rofl: ....I would train Taffy to use "the facilities" like the cats do....use the potty and flush the evidence. But who needs a wet, or worse, puppy? :shocked: