PDA

View Full Version : As pets live longer, doggie dementia on the rise

JuneyTrixie
02-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Senility trend in people also occurring in animals, veterinarians report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16893480?GT1=9033

Alex's Mom
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
That's an interesting article...I wonder how they got Alex's portrait to use as their graphic :rotfl: The worst thing to deal with is the disorientation, but they didn't touch on the fact that often that can be at least partly caused by hearing and sight loss (which is what I think it is in her case :sosad:).

Lisa
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
That's a really good article. :thankyou: Faye.

AgileOllie
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Both Ryan and Sara exhibit signs of dementia. Ryan is OLD, but Sara's is due to her head trauma/brain damage. Both girls get extra loving so they know every minute that they are loved.
Sebastian also had dementia at the very end. It's very sad, but unfortunately, a fact of life.

Thanks for the article!

Almost Doxie
02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
That is a very interesting article.

samandissy
02-21-2007, 05:45 PM
My sweet little Annie :angel7: had the onset of dementia and we tried a pill and it seemed to help her. That was 10 years ago, so I'm sure there are more choices out there...

Otto'sMom
02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I'd like to think that my doggie dementia means that I've forgotten if I've left Austin out in the dark when it's Potty O'Clock. (Major guilt trip there when I do a head count and not all weens are accounted for, often to find missing pup snuggled in blankets or under the bed.)

Patt
02-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Very informative article, thanks for sharing.

quavec
02-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Good info.

My neighbor's dog is pretty much deaf and she will come to the fence and bark and bark at me while I try to hush her and then I realize, :duh: she can't hear me. she must sense that I'm there. Anyway, he tells me that she gets disoriented around the house sometimes :sosad: He, KiKi and Hannibal (rescued cat) were living in a FEMA trailer (5th wheel size) and that's when he started noticing she wasn't hearing so well anymore and pretty much getting senile. :(