PDA

View Full Version : AKC survey allowing mixed breeds to participate in preformance sports

AgileOllie
02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Please cross-post

I know that not everyone here is involved in performance sports with their dogs, but this piece of legislation is very important for those of us who have mixed breed dogs that can/should be allowed to participate in them. Please take a few minutes to read this and fill out the survey.

AKC is asking us to fill out this survey to see if mixed breed dogs should be allowed to compete in companion events. This includes agility, obedience, rally, etc. This does not in any way pretain to 'puggles and poos' becoming AKC recognized breeds. This is simply asking if the general dog public would be in favor of allowing them to compete (it specifically talks about ALTERED mixed breeds)
There are those of us who do have non-ILP'able or mixed breed dogs who are wonderful performance dogs, but don't get the opportunity to showcase our abilities due to the lowley status of "mixed breed." I should add that while there are venues such as USDAA, NADAC, etc, who allow mixed breeds to participate in agility, these venues are not accessible to everyone in every part of the country. Down here, traveling to 2-3 different states to go to one agility show is not uncommon. If I totally relied on USDAA events, I might be able to compete 2-3 times per year, whereas AKC events can be found each weekend within driving distance. Also, there are NO venues for mixed breed dogs when it comes to obedience, rally, flyball, etc.

Obvious benefits of allowing ALTERED mixed breeds to compete are-
1- Increase in revenue for clubs that allow mixed breeds to compete- higher entries
2- Bridgeing a gap between all dog owners, regardless of breed status
3- More shelter/rescue dogs getting a chance for greatness when given the opportunity to compete in preformance sports
4- More people getting involved in the sports that we all love- thus guarenteeing the future of our sports.
5- More competition = more fun!

This has been a long time coming, and I hope you'll take this survey, and recommend that ALTERED mixed breeds be allowed to show in these companion events alongside their purebred counterparts.

Thanks!

Tonya

AKC is asking for input:
http://www.akc. org/mixedbreed_ survey/

There are around 27 questions - it took less than 5 minutes and you do not have to provide contact info.

Jen
03-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Finally!! I do think all dogs should be allowed to compete!

areese
03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
That link didn't work for me. I definitely want to fill it out..I've heard rumors and stuff about this possibly happening for a few months now...it would be a good thing. Although I can do AKC agility with my dogs I won't cuz all my friends can't.
The "other" big breed registration, UKC, does allow mixed breeds into performance events and AKC would be smart to do so.

lotsadox
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
The link didn't work for me either. :scratch: