PDA

View Full Version : I Just Stopped In On A Whim

Otto'sMom
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
And ended up falling for a Dark little passenger. Meet Dexter, the newest member of the Anipal clan.
Now, I know what you're thinking. :wtf: Why isn't this a dachshund? I went looking for one, really I did. I just kinda followed a feeling and found myself at the Waveland Animal Shelter, which turned out to be so very sad. Puppies upon litters of puppies, but not a dachshund in sight. There was a mix that looked like a pit doxie mix, but he just didn't give me that vibe you get when you see the "one". I got to the end of the row, and there he was. A little black mop. I asked if I could see him and when he opened the door, he bolted for freedom. The then unnamed pupper let me pick him and I didn't fall in love with a face or a look, I fell in love with the trembling body in my arms and I knew I shouldn't have left the house without adult supervision. I had to wait all weekend and Monday and Tuesday before I could see him again, and just bolted from work to pick him up. He'd just gotten fixed today, but no shots yet, that's next week.
We stopped at Sonic for a Gotcha Day treat for all the dogs, and went back to my vet to make sure it was OK for me to bathe him, since all those pound germs couldn't be good for his stitches. Got the go ahead (I'd also called them before to make sure he'd get the extra pain meds and they could just charge it to me since they don't do that for the other dogs from the pound)
I got him home and let the other dogs sniff him in the kennel, and then took him into the tub for a good cleaning, being careful of his stitches. So dirty, and he had what looked like 2 bite marks on his head. I cleaned him up and he just leaned to me as I massaged him. Got him out and carried him outside and let the Herd meet him properly. He's got no tail and you can't see his eyes but his little stump of a rump was shaking so fast it reminded me of a blender!
He and Austin were having pissing contests....literal peeing contests for marking stuff outside, and Darwin is just FLIPPED OUT foaming at the mouth spazzed about this new dog. The crew is really being good about it so far and Dexter is just buzzing with amazement. I swear I can hear him going "This stuff is really ALL MINE? I get to stay here?:faint:" He go check something out and then come running back to me, stumprump going 90mph. I can just feel the gratitude.:hearts:
So, it's another Doxie by proxy. Dexter. Age and origin unknown (guessing 3 years old by the looks of his teeth. 22.2 lbs on the 22nd of Feb. Fur still wet from his first bath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi314.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi315.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi316.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi319.jpg

Mama S.
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
I knew allllllll day and had to be quiet! DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT WAS????? Oh I am soooo in love! He is such a doll! He lloks just like Pete! Off to dig up Pete pictures!!
Mama

michelehbc
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
OH MY! :banana:
What a handsome man! And so lucky to find such a wonderful forever home!

You have such a good :hearts:- and THAT is why you shouldn't be allowed at the shelter without adult supervision! :rotfl:
I don't think I could have said no to the little mophead myself!!!

Mama S.
02-22-2007, 08:57 PM
See - Pete offishimusly has a brudder!!! He is soooo thrilled~
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/48/128977783_e12be07f67.jpg

He has the same white spot on his foot and his chest!! THis was prior to hair cut!
Mama

Otto'sMom
02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Yep, he looks the same coming and going:rotfl:

quavec
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
He's a cutie under all that fur. I told you Waveland was awful. That's what prompted you to go isn't it? You heard it was horrible and you just had to get at least one out of there. :) Dexter is a great name for him.

Red Haired Girl
02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Awwww! He is adorable. Love the name. :hearts:

Frzframe
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
:awww: I love him!!!! I'm so glad my shelter isn't like that or I'd have 20 pups by now!!!

Rileybugg
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
:awww: :way2go: and congratulations to you and your newest addition. :bighug: for rescuing one from an awful fate. It sounds like he is happy already. (big sigh....)

Anatresia
02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
LOVE THE NAME!!!!! He looks dark and mysterious!

catstamm
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Excuse me, Andrea!!!!!!!
Didn't you read the post about me the girls and the pups movin in with you?????
NOW where will we fit????

JanUet
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
:wow: Andrea! :wow:

He IS a Handsome Dude! I am smiling from ear to ear! :D

I am totally in shock! Not that you left your home without Adult Supervision but
having so much :love5: in your :heart14: and home for another Anipal.
I am speechless ( I know, it doesn't happen often)

:welcome2: Dexter to the DLC family :hug99: :hearts:
:congrats: on a New Forever home and a New Mommy! :cheer2: :banana:

AnnMarieK
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Dexter doesn't know just how lucky he is yet... you are so awesome.:appl: :appl: :appl: He's a real cutie pie who I know will blossom in your home !!!!!!!!!

Otto'sMom
02-22-2007, 11:25 PM
As you can see, Dexter has made space for you by not taking up any seating at all:hearts:

I'll just sleep on the end table new Mommy, I don't take up no space:hearts:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi320.jpg

I'm learning through osmosis (and he was also laying on the Dexter books)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/Mississippi321.jpg

I combed his hair out a bit. He came and stood on my lap and gave me very tentative kisses, which was sweet beyond belief, but I didn't wash out his beard very well and *ugh* that was difficult. He then put his arms on my neck, and his head on my shoulder and sighed. He stayed that way for a few minutes and then went and sat on the table.

Frzframe
02-22-2007, 11:35 PM
:awww: Make me cry why don'tcha. I :hearts: him already and can't wait until he settles in and starts causing you trouble. :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Your offspring is the trouble maker (yep, YOU'RE Darwin's birthmother, I'm just the hapless adoptive mommy:rotfl: :rotfl: :angel7: ) I so wish you could've seen how freaked out Darwin was about this dog. I've never seen him foam at the mouth before, excessive drooling and then rubbing and rolling all along the base of the house outside my bedroom window. I know Darwin is the most confused about this new addition, but holy cow is it funny.
A guy approached us while we were walking yesterday, and Darwin was all big and bad barking, but the guy was just going to shake my hand, and when he did, Darwin recoiled in such horror that you would think that I beat him relentlessly every time I shook someone's hand. We need more socialization.

Frzframe
02-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Your offspring is the trouble maker (yep, YOU'RE Darwin's birthmother, I'm just the hapless adoptive mommy:rotfl: :rotfl: :angel7: ) I so wish you could've seen how freaked out Darwin was about this dog. I've never seen him foam at the mouth before, excessive drooling and then rubbing and rolling all along the base of the house outside my bedroom window. I know Darwin is the most confused about this new addition, but holy cow is it funny.
A guy approached us while we were walking yesterday, and Darwin was all big and bad barking, but the guy was just going to shake my hand, and when he did, Darwin recoiled in such horror that you would think that I beat him relentlessly every time I shook someone's hand. We need more socialization.

Oh but he's been with you MUCH longer then he was with me so he's all YOUR fault. :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
02-22-2007, 11:57 PM
:rotfl: I'll admit it, I wrecked a perfectly good puppy. I can't help it, he makes me giggle.

Frzframe
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Poor Darwin didn't stand a chance at your house did he??!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
02-23-2007, 12:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/th_WhyDarwinCantListen.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Anewborg/?action=view&current=WhyDarwinCantListen.flv)

Frzframe
02-23-2007, 12:49 AM
:rotfl: "but nooooooooooooo" :rotfl:

Kerie
02-23-2007, 02:17 AM
:welcome2: Dexter!!!!! A new Anipal. :hug99: :banana: :cheer2:

jenfer
02-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Congrats on your new family member.

Alex's Mom
02-23-2007, 08:13 AM
And this would be why I don't dare go into shelters :rolleyes: Congrats on your wonderful new anipal, Andrea!! He's such a cutie, and so loving...:hearts::hearts: and :hug99::hug99: (don't recoil in horror, please!) for your huge, wonderful heart!!!:angel7:

Michelle
02-23-2007, 09:58 AM
OMG!!!!!, What a darling he is!!, And I bet he is so so happy right now!!!!!
He probably cannot believe how lucky he is to have found you as a momma!!!
Great job Andrea!!!! I wish I could have as many as you do! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Tex
02-23-2007, 10:52 AM
What a cute duster...I mean Dexter! (He just reminds me of something you would use to dust the table...he is asleep on it right?) He's adorable!:hearts: I'm helping a friend pick out a dog tomorrow....we're going to the SPCA and several PetSmart/PetCo's that are having adoption days.....I will not come home with another dog (unless it's a dachshund of course!). I'm going to be in so much trouble tomorrow....wish I could take them all!!

catstamm
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
What's the latest head count???

Tex
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
What's the latest head count???
I think that would make it 9 :scratch: ? Had to catch up Mama huh?:rotfl:

Otto'sMom
02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Not 9:shocked: That's the kitty count.:duh:
This is the hound count:
Otto
Buddy
Dolly
Grrrrrrrt
Austin
Darwin
Pearl
Dexter

LexieLuvr
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww - that's only 8! Congrats on your new family member!!! :hearts: :hug99: :appl:

WeenieintheWindow.com
02-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Wow Andrea, you've got you're self a full house! Dexter is a cutie, I love mystery about him. It must be his fur.... :lmao: I probably wouldn't have been able to say no to that little mop either. :hearts: Congrats of the new addition, he's gonna LOVE it at your place! :banana:

lizzieb38
02-23-2007, 10:57 PM
He is just a cutiepatootie! Ya know, he looks alot like my momma's lil black schnauzers. :scratch: who knows??? You got yourself a good one no matter what he is.

Otto'sMom
02-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Gosh, you guys really know how to make a crazy dog lady feel a little less crazy.
Today, I walked him with the pack for the first time, on a short walk, and we had 3 inquiries in relation to my "dog walking business" and one father send his daughter running after me to ask "are they all yours?"
I wish you all could see him walking. He's got a little spring to his step, just like my Izzy Wartzburg had and the hair at the tip of his ears flips up eversoslightly and bobs when we walk. He's really good on our walk...Darwin and P'daisypearl still leave much to be desired.:rolleyes:
I've tried to trim his beard some, he's a walking wet mop when he drinks! I really need to get him groomed, but can't until he gets his shots. He's not taking crap from the little dogs, it's good for Austin to get put in his place after he got to bully Darwin so long. Dexter really just wants to get along and not have the other dogs be jerks to him. He's doing really well for only 2 days.:hearts: He's been gently mouthing my hands and he lets me manipulate him all over. I'm worried his manbag hurts so I don't try to get too silly with him.
He's done one really odd thing: I'm wearing a v-neck t-shirt. He loves to stick his nose right in my cleavage and breathe. I really don't know what to think of it and, as usual, laughed at him. He's done it twice and hasn't had the opportunity to do it again. Weird.:scratch:

Tanya
02-24-2007, 02:36 AM
:congrats: on adding Dexter to your pack!!!

michelehbc
02-24-2007, 03:06 AM
He's done one really odd thing: I'm wearing a v-neck t-shirt. He loves to stick his nose right in my cleavage and breathe. I really don't know what to think of it and, as usual, laughed at him. He's done it twice and hasn't had the opportunity to do it again. Weird.:scratch:

Uh-oh! Dexter is a perv! :shocked:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe you dropped a cheeto down your shirt and didn't realize it! :rotfl:

Otto'sMom
02-24-2007, 11:36 AM
No, no extra snacks kept in my cleavage, and I haven't had Cheetos (which I love) for ages (can't get past the orange fingers, so much effort to clean, even with dachshund help.)

I can't wait to get him properly cleaned up, he's such a handsome boy under all that old fur. He even started playing with Darwin and Austin last night. And even after only 2 days with me, he follows me around the house, and he's at work today with me, and he's all about being by me when off leash. I'm not brave enough to try it outside yet though. He's a good boy:hearts: I totally lucked out.

evie
02-24-2007, 03:29 PM
I think Dexter is the one who lucked out! Several years ago, I took a girl named Lucy away from a neglectful neighbor (after finding her stuck in their jacuzzi struggling to get out) and said I would turn them in if they didn't allow me to keep her. She looked just like Dexter and was the best non-Doxie dog I have ever had!!!!

Jill
02-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Congrats!

Teddysmom
02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
WOW!!! :congrats: on the newest anipal member! He really is a cutie; even with all that fur!

areese
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Congrats, Andrea!!!! He is adorable.
Here's the pics of my former very hairy black dog. She was about 25 pounds or so...sweetest dog ever. A cockerpoo mix supposedly..her hair was very very soft and wavy, not wiry or very curly at all. it would grow as long as you let it and was really pretty I think. Although when she got old I kept it short as grooming was hard on her.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/kerbycollage.jpg

Otto'sMom
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
:awww: So many cutie pie shaggy doggies:hearts: I can see the cocker spaniel in the eyes.
Dexter is still at the groomer's. Seems when she tried to blow dry his hair, he was not having that and kept trying to eat the blowdryer:rolleyes: (I'm so embarrassed, my doggie isn't being a good boy)