PDA

View Full Version : Training methods - what worked for you?

oceangirls
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I thought I would get some opinions on how everyone has trained their dogs!

Did you take them to a class? Petsmart? Private trainer? Group - large or small? One-on-one with a trainer or behaviorist?

Did you do it yourself? And if so, did you use a book or video for guidance? (If you did and it was helpful, please recommend it!)

Finally, we all know dachshunds are very smart, but sometime stubborn! Are there things we should know about training a dachshund vs. another breed of dog (duration of practice session, group size, amount of competition, correction methods, amount of treats :D ?) What worked best? Do you wish you had done something differently?

The girls have limited "home schooling" (sit, stay, back, down, stop eating that ___ :rolleyes: ) so I'd love to know what everyone's had good experience with, in addition to getting some info in our archives for future members who are new to all this!!

thanks everyone.:cheer2:

Jen
12-01-2005, 02:54 PM
A month after we adopted Tasha, we took her for 6 weeks of group lessons to learn sit, heel, stay, down, come, sit/down/stay. There were about 12 dogs initally, including two westies and a jack russell that barked the whole time. Tasha hated it. She was afraid of the other dogs and spent the 15 min play session at the beginning trying to hide behind us. DH and I would lean against the wall so she couldn't get behind us. During actual training she was a quick learner on some things, loved the treats, but spent much of her time trying to escape the training room and whining loudly.

She passed the class, though heel was marginal, she kept trying to run off when we got near the exit.

We've continued to train on tricks at home and she now does shake (left paw), paw (right paw), over, bang, and my favorite, find, where we hide a treat while she's in a different room and she has to locate it by smelling and looking.

She always knows what we want, but is only consistently obedient when there's food involved. Often on walks I'll make her sit at the corner while we wait for a light, she'll look at me, and slowly put her butt down. Or stare at me, and finally do the plunk down and look. Yep, training a doxie is not easy.

Lisa
12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
We did Petsmart training with Pogo and he did very well at it. Pogo will do anything for food - so as long as you have treats you have his undivided attention.

With Pixel we tried Petsmart - dropped out and got a refund (thanks to Tiggermiss!! - the refund, not the dropping out part). Then we tried Pixel in agility. Agility and Pixel are two words no one will be hearing together in the future. He was scared of all of the equipment but did quite well at the obedience part. Unfortunately, Rafi now has to travel for his job for the next 6 months and we had to drop out because I hate driving and it's a long distance.

lotsadox
12-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I took both Miller and Cash to basic obedience and CGC at a private training school. We did group lessons and I'm glad we did. I'm using some of the things I learned on Scooter. Being bigger he does some things that mine didn't do and I'm glad I have the experience of seeing them work with larger dogs. It's helped a lot. I still work with mine and keep up with their training.

I think that consistency and treats are the keys. Miller is not very food motivated for a dachshund and was harder to work with. He was also very frightened in class so I worked with him a lot at home. I did recalls to the point the he reacted automatically because I knew that in class he would get nervous and distracted. It worked. I even got him to trot to me on the recall at the CGC test. Cash was easy. He loved the classes and the attention he got and will do [B]anything[B] for treats!

Mikey
12-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Took both our puppies to a class. It worked on treats then scolding when they didn't do it right. Ie, give a treat when they would "wait" and after a couple weeks, work toward scoldign them if they didn't wait. With the odd treat afterward for random rewards so they don't untrain themselves. Works pretty good. Can't get them to lay down since we couldn't tell at the time if they were or not because of the hair.

Patt
12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I haven't done obedience training in many years. I do use some of the basic methods I learned in class. I'm into adopting senior's and most are trained, they usually need a little refresher course. For behavior problems I rely on The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan.

http://dogpsychologycenter.com/

K2
12-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Let's see...I got Pippit last July. In August we started basic obedience with 4 other dogs and their people. It was horrible!! Pippit spent the first 2 classes barking at the men. It was basically a waste of time and money!

We also went to a training center for a consult. $150 later~no help!

And then I met Susan~who is now Pippit's behaviorist/trainer. She is awesome and has taught me so much!! Without her, I honestly don't know where we would be. She comes to the house and works with you and your dog 1 on 1.

And then there is day care. Susan actually talked to owner into taking Pippit since he failed the consult. This has also made a big difference in his life~because he is learning that not all people are bad and that he can have fun without Mom being there all the time!

Jill
12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
We started Bailey out in a puppy class at petsmart about one month after we brought him home. We did sit, stay, sit/stay, down, down/stay, settle, wait, loose leash walking. There might have been something else. There was only one other puppy in the class. It was awesome.

Then we did a beginner/basics class at petsmart about one month after puppy ended. It was more or less the same commands but with more dogs and more distractions. Everyone was so impressed at how awesome Bailey did.

Then I did agility with Bailey at the place where they go to day care. He did awesome!! Of course he was the smallest, but he did the best out of everyone. The first time we all ran through the entire course, he got applaus! :appl:

Then DH took Reese to a beginner class at petsmart, and he does ok. DH didn't do as much homework with Reese, so he's not quite as quick as Bailey.

The petsmart classes have been great for us. it's very close to our home, and because they have weekend classes it makes it very easy for us. we have gone with the same trainer since the beginning and she's wonderful. I am planning on doing another agility class with Bailey and maybe even a beginner one with Reese.

I think the key is do your homework. You can't just do commands once a week. You need to practice in between and even after the class is done, reinforce it. :hula1:

jenfer
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
We had puppy class at PetsMart when Gi was 5 months old or so? It was horrible, she won't listen to me at all! So we "sort of passed"... We have to practice a lot at home. Then I found out about Clicker Training, so I looked up on the internet and found our current agility trainer and took that class. Gigi was the youngest and it was a bit better than she was in the puppy class and I learned that cheese is a good thing. Still she would not pay attention to me, but at least I knew a bit better how to get her to focus on me *briefly*. She passed the clicker class and we move on to agility. It was a long process, she was not focused and I had a tough time, but lots of hard work now it's much better. :) At least I can get her attention most of the time during class. She also took a few group class and a CGC class (which she failed). And now we just take agility, which she loves. :)

Helen
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I haven't done any formal training with Charlie (no classes, trainers, etc.), but not because I haven't wanted to. I just don't have the money. :(

So, we've worked on some stuff at home. He knows sit, lie down, shake, and leave it (unless it's something really good ;) ).

I didn't use any books, as the things we taught are pretty self-explanatory. Charlie's really food motivated, so he was easy to teach. We work on everything almost every day, particularly "leave it"!

This was a good thread idea. :)

Linus
12-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I just finished a class through a private trainer with Bailey. There were 6 other dogs in the class..all big dogs. We learned basic obedience, sit, stay, heel, that kind of thing. I loved it and Bailey's behavior really changed.

isobelsmom
12-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I train my own dogs and will go to other places (bark parks, dog food stores and such) to cement good behavior. I am a trainer and have held group classes (hard to find a place for me to hold them now), but now I specialize in private in-home under what Mr. Milan says. I was training that way before I heard of him and I love his methods....they work. I have used them lots as now I specialize more and more on serious aggression (human, animal, territory, etc.) and serious behavioral probelms; anything to help keep the dog in the home or make him/her adoptable. I get called in when all else fails. Not sure how this happened....:scratch: But, it's what I do.

I was a trainer at PetSmart for several years and went out on my own ages ago. I am in a certification associate degree program now to eventually get my master trainer cert.

I will tell you the biggest secrets in dog training: Consistent action/non-action on the hooman part, be adaptable to differing situations, and have the entire household doing the same thing with the dog(s) every time...oh, and you have to learn their language as they are learning ours....only fair.

Some great books are "A Dog's Mind" by Bruce Folgle, anything by Dr. Nicolas Dodman from Tufts in MA, and Cesar Milan and his theories. You can use any training book, but it will never fit every dog or persoanlity. Some require more food lures, while others love praise. You just have to feel out the dog and watch him/her carefully to see what does and doesn't work.

Hope this helps...sorry it's so long. I could go on for days talking training. :sosad:

oceangirls
12-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I will tell you the biggest secrets in dog training: Consistent action/non-action on the hooman part, be adaptable to differing situations, and have the entire household doing the same thing with the dog(s) every time...oh, and you have to learn their language as they are learning ours....only fair.

the "entire household" thing is my big problem, as I can't get husband very motivated to cooperate with training methods beyond the very basic ones. :(

isobelsmom
12-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Explain to your Dh that I will personally come for a visit to thump him! Just kidding...tho I may come for a visit!!! :hula1: :hula1:

Seriously...ask him this: Do you like the girls as they are? Do any of their behaviors bother you? If he says no to the first and yes to the second...then explain it like this....

"DH....In order to get these girls to be productive and full members of our home, they must be treated the same by everyone...including those who visit. If not, then they are losing confidence in themselves and they are not getting their total needs met on a daily basis. If we do things the same, they will no longer be confused as to who to listen to, they will listen to us both."

THEN, if he doesn't do it....he has to pay for my round-trip ticket to a butt whuppin'! :mad2: :bleep:

Otto'sMom
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Buddy and Otto required no training. They are both very well behaved, even in public.
Dolly went to "Bone Up" Academy in an attempt to control her barking/screaming. She's very vocal, and when the instructor tried his methods on her, all we did was make her bark louder (which I found to be very funny) It was clicker training, and I'd say it helped with everything else but the barking.
Grrrt isn't exactly "all there" in the head. She gets carried everywhere and is a pretty good girl considering...
Austin hasn't been to training yet. With my stupid ship's schedule, I just can't take him. When I move, we'll get some training done.
I've also used pet communicators, and found them to be quite helpful.

I have to say, people are amazed when they see me with all 5 dogs in tow. I walk Austin and Otto on a doubler, and Dolly and Buddy on a doubler and carry Grrrrt under my arm. Except for the barking, they really behave. I think my body language tells tham what I expect. We walk confidently, expecting no trouble.

goldbergdsp
12-12-2005, 11:56 AM
My fiance & I take Remy to Doggieritaville at the Weymouth Dog Shop, where is gets 1 on 1 training. In the first lessons he learned the heel command, we then practiced at for a few weeks. The next lessons he learned to automaticaly sit when we stopped walking in the heel command (He is very stubborn about sitting automaticaly) we practiced that at home for a few weeks, then the next lessons he learned to hold his sit for a short period of time eventually working up to long periods of times even if we leave the room. He has a release command and when he hears it he knows he can get out of the sit position. All this training was done with what some people would call a "choke" collar and a leather leash, no treats are ever involved because we didnt want him to think he only had to listen to us when we had food in our hand. By training this way he also learned that "no" has a real meaning because he would get a tug on the leash. Now when we say "no" without the leash he knows he isnt supposed to do what he is doing (although he will still try test us to see how serious we are about it) I actually think that this whole process has made him a smarter dog, not only by listening to our commands, but he also now knows if he is going to test us he has to come up with a clever way of getting to something he wants but knows he isnt supposed to have. After Christmas he will start the 2nd phase of his training which will include, the "come" command, "lay" command, & he will eventually have a special spot in the house where if we tell him to go there, he will go to that spot & lay down. All this will eventually lead to off leash training. It takes a lot of work to train them, but it is very rewarding to see it work. Remy knows that when we are holding the leather leash it is time to listen. when we have the regular retractable leash he knows he has a little more freedom. All things considered it has definitely been worth it.

isobelsmom
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Rob, This is similar to what the "Dog Whisperer" teaches in regards to treats. BUT, sometimes, when teaching a new command or trick, one may consider using a treat lure...especially with dachsies...as those noses have millions of snackie receptors. And there is the Gentle Leader head halter for training also, instead of the "choke or slip" collar.

I am in no way telling you that your method is incorrect...just to keep an open mind about other methods as you may want to call on them in the future if you hit a rough patch.

Please, feel free to tell more tricks of the trade to us, as we can all use exposure to another method or two, or three....

Big hugs to a very smart and good Remy!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

goldbergdsp
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh I am definitely open to new ways to train, when I first got Remy the first thing I taught him was to sit (using treats) & he would do it all the time for me, now with our training is is very stubborn when it comes to sitting, I am thinking it has to do with always giving him a treat when we first taught him to sit. I am not opposed to giving him a treat when he learns something new, but I want him to realize that he also has to sit when he is told (so that is tha stage we are at right now) It actually makes me laugh when we are practicing because I will stop walking in the heel command & he knows he is supposed to sit, but he will look up at me & try to look at my hand to see if there is a treat for him. (no treat, no sit is the way he looks at it)

Puppen
12-12-2005, 02:38 PM
All on my own, we live in the boonies...no pet smart nearest is 85 miles. no real training schools, even kmart, wal mart, home depot (Karen) :rotfl: are 40 miles away. I guess I learn as they learn. Puppen admittedly will be a challenge since she can't really hear commands, but she is following examples from the Ladies Brigade quite well. :) And by using Hand singnals she is picking up on a lot of basics. I'll let you know when she has mastered any other than Potty time. :) She has that down! I keep large bowls of fresh water in the kitchen and a small one in the bathroom. If any are empty..Puppen "Brings" it to me.:hearts:

isobelsmom
12-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Rob...With my dachsies...I'm LUCKY to get the L@@K!!! My Isobel has perfected the "fake" sit to an art. That little red sable hiney is just the mearest degree from the floor, so if you look at her, you would swear she was sitting. A big Nope! :scratch: Little snot!

I can picture Remy giving you the doggie equivolant of a flip off!

And Puppen...she doesn't NEED trainin'. She's doin' just fine....bringin' da water bowl....Good Puppen!

Goob
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
All on my own, we live in the boonies...no pet smart nearest is 85 miles. no real training schools, even kmart, wal mart, home depot (Karen) :rotfl: are 40 miles away.

I keep large bowls of fresh water in the kitchen and a small one in the bathroom. If any are empty..Puppen "Brings" it to me.:hearts:

LUCKY!!! Our Home Deeeps is only five minutes away.

How sweet that Puppen keeps the water bowls filled for her big sisters. I know dogs can learn hand signals, and Puppen is a very smart little girl indeed!

As for my two - no formal training, but they do the basics. Specially when Mom uses her "not messing around - do it now" voice!

Courtney
12-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Mary - I want to be a dog trainer/behaviorist! how do I get started???