PDA

View Full Version : Update on Molly

HotDogMama
01-07-2006, 07:19 AM
The vet visit yesterday didn't go very well. It is not healing at all when he took the bandage off the stitches looked really loose. (?) he re-wrapped it and gave some more antibiotics and said to come back Monday. I really am confused if he is doing the right thing, I keep thinking I should go and get a 2nd opinion if I get there Monday and it looks the same I'm afraid he will want to do it all over again! Some more :rayz: would be appreciated...... also, this bandage job is not as good as the 1st one, it has already come off twice, and she keeps chewing on it. Any suggestions? :please:

alfina
01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
If she keeps chewng on it, then you perhaps need to get one of those satellite dishes collar. Chewng will prevent healing.

HotDogMama
01-07-2006, 07:43 AM
I have one from when she had got spayed and hernia surgery, we put it on yesterday but she can still get to it.

Jen
01-07-2006, 08:59 AM
You'll need a longer E-collar then. The first one I had for Tasha to keep her from licking a sore on her butt--well, it was too short and she could lick her hiney while wearing it. So we had the Vet custom make one which works fine!

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Molly!!

K2
01-07-2006, 09:52 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Molly. Sounds like a bigger e collar is in order. Does your vet have the different sizes?

JanUet
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Here is my suggeastion.

Get a sock (small enough for her foot) yoU might have to buy some baby socks. Mix some Alum and water together and spread some on the sock. Put the sock on her. She will lick it a few times and then stop.

Dogs hate the taste of Alum! We have used it here for Casey to stop eating the bottom stair and a small wooden bench I have in my hallway.

It's like kryptoenite (sp? the stuff that rendered Superman Powerless) but for dogs!:rotfl:
Not the same effect but you get the idea!

I would take her to another Vet to get a second opinion!

Lisa
01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh no! Lots of rayz for Molly :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: If you are unhappy with the job, there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. Just make sure you tell the new vet everything about the event, how it was treated and the medication she is on. Plus you do want a vet to rewrap the foot properly and have a bigger e-collar on her. And maybe show him how to wrap it yourself, so you don't restrict blood flow, but that it is snug enough.

Keep us posted! Feel better soon Molly :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

HotDogMama
01-07-2006, 12:01 PM
:thanx: everybody and thanks Janet for the Alum and sock suggestion... I totally forgot about that one! I will wait til our appointment Monday to decide about another vet, if he says he wants to do it over I will have to take her somewhere else. My sister that was over last night when it came off re-wrapped it for me she is a nurse so it should hold til Monday hopefully as long as there are no more visitors....:crossfin: I tried the collar again this morning and she just flopped down and pouted and didn't bother it at all. I bought mine at PetSmart I didn't even ask the vet. As much as this whole ordeal has cost I would hate to think what he would charge for that! I'm sorry if I'm :curse: ing you all to death, I'm just so frustrated at everything right now!!!! :pout:

lotsadox
01-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm so sorry Molly is having a hard time (and you too). Good advice has already been given Sending rayz. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Yolanda
01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Dear Jen

First off you are not a bother and we here appreciate your posts and want to keep up with Molly's progress. Here are mores:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

After Monday if you are unhappy then yest get a second opinion.

Wounds on the feet are one of the hardest to keep bandaged and to heal. They are the furthest away for blood circulation for one thing. Hang in there it will get better.

oceangirls
01-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I agree with the suggestions given! It sounds like it's in an awkward area for healing :( You are not bothering us at all. If you had not updated, we would be asking you for updates!!

more rayz :rayz::rayz::rayz:!!!!

jenfer
01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Sending Molly (and you) lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Patt
01-07-2006, 07:59 PM
So is the collar on or off? It's important to keep it on no matter how much she pouts, if needed get another longer from Petsmart or Petco. I would wait until Monday and when you return to the vets if he wants to do it over it would be at his expense not yours. My vet guarantees her work if sutures slip out or whatever she will re-suture at her expense and that does not happen often. Remember each pet is different. You may get a second opinion but it will cost you to do so.
Sending many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a speedy recovery.

HotDogMama
01-08-2006, 07:00 AM
The collar is on, its been on since yesterday, what I meant when I said she pouts when its on doesn't mean I was going to take it off, but when she's pouting she just flops down and doesn't bother it until I turn my back. I never said I would take it off, he never told me to put it on in the first place, I did that on my own. He doesn't tell me much of anything. Sorry if this is rude I'm just stressed out over this. :conf3:

alfina
01-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I would find another vet Jennifer. I had been with the same vet for 9 years before we moved and she would always explain things and talk about what they could do if something didn't work out, etc. And also don't be afraid to ask questions yourself. You are paying good money for their services and time, so speak up and let them know.

Linus
01-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Poor things!! Here are lots and lots of healing :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both of you!

Fluffy
01-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm just stressed out over this. :conf3:

Ok I have some strict instructions for you:
1. Take a step back from the situation for just a minute
2. Take a DEEP breath!!!
3. Try not to worry so much....

I know its hard, and you want your baby to be healthy and back to herself. Anytime one of mine gets hurt or is sick, I try to remember one thing. You have to stay calm, over-worrying doesn't do anyone any good...just makes you more sick than anything! You have been given some great advice! I agree with what everyone's already said...If you are still uncertain after the visit tomorrow, get a second opinion. I surely won't hurt anything. I went to the same vet for years, and when Heidi got super sick, nothing they told me made any sense. I went for a second opinion and found out that she had been mis-diagnosed and had been getting meds for something she didn't have. Its always better to be safe than sorry so if you feel that uneasy, by all means, get that second opinion!! Know that we are all here for you, anytime!! Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both you and Molly! Let us know how the vet visit goes tomorrow!!

Gay Larsen
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi: I'm a REAL believer in 2nd opinions. Due to our trek back & forth across U.S. in Nov. wherein we picked up 5 Spec. Needs or Hard-2-Place dachsies, we ended up w/several very contagious issues to deal with due to stopping @ every rest stop between here & FL & back again. IF we had not decided to get a 2nd opinion, I would STILL be cleaning up diarrhea & making myself & the dogs miserable. Within a 30 day period of time, we spent $2,000.00 BUT we ended up with a clear & correct diagnosis in the end. It's scary when your vet, whom you totally trust to do the "right thing" kinds throw a "guess" out there & you're running around treating for the wrong thing. Been there, done that! It was very discouraging, time consuming & hard on the dogs. GAY

Patt
01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
He doesn't tell me much of anything. Sorry if this is rude I'm just stressed out over this. :conf3: I am truly :sorry: if I offened you I certainly did not mean to do that. You have every right to be stressed out and every right for him to explain what is happening. It's a losing battle if you don't have communication with your vet. Do you have another one in mind? I would see what this vet has to say tomorrow if it is not to your satisfaction have him give you a copy of ALL the records and take Molly to another vet. If the sutures are really loose, he probably will have to re-do some or all but it should be at his expense. JMHO

HotDogMama
01-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Things went a lot better today, stitches are gone (they were never really there to begin with) and we got a bigger collar. Wound is still open but looks healthy, so he said to keep it covered, and keep giving antibiotics and come back Wednesday. Will let you know more then. Any tips on how to sleep with a collar the size of a satellite dish? Guess she'll just have to get used to it. Thanks again! :heartsign

JanUet
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Any tips on how to sleep with a collar the size of a satellite dish?

No suggestions....But If you position her just right you may get really good TV reception! :rotfl:

I'm glad to hear that Molly is doing so much better :hearts:
Please keep us posted! Sending Molly more :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Patt
01-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Agree, it's probably difficult for Molly to adjust to the collar at first but she will get use to it and will get back to doing things normally. I'm happy to hear the wound is okay and sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a speedy healing.

Nancy
01-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear Molly is doing better! Hope you were able to sleep last night!

Lot's of healing :bigrayz: 's!

Rae
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
my goodness... pupper trauma all over the dlc. Glad things are getting better. I remember when Duchie was sick after her stroke- it just consumes you revery moment if awake you are chekcing on them and if asleep you are waking up to check on them.

You are a good hoomomma- hope she continues to improve and gets back to 100% soon !!:bigrayz:

mydachsies
01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
:cheer2: :boogie: Alright Molly! Hope everthing heals fine and fast!