View Full Version : Teaching your dog to target

JuneyTrixie
03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a pretty fun thing to do, especially with a timid dog.

http://dogcentral.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3500317&GT1=9170

Otto'sMom
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd like to teach mine to shop at Target:duh:

JuneyTrixie
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Very funny! :D

areese
03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Touching a target is a cool trick. Then, on evenings when you are bored you can sit on the couch with a clicker and randomly make your dog touch everything in the room! I started mine on plastic container lids and a dab of squeeze cheese. I love Laika running around putting her nose on things and looking at me with the whites of her eyes showing..."is this the right one, mommy????" I haven't done it much with Salsa...maybe I'll do that this week!

Tex
03-04-2007, 11:47 AM
That's what I thought too!!

Patt
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
It sounds like a fun thing to do. I really would like Trixie to ring a bell to go outside. So far I have failed. :( Thanks for posting that info.

Lisa
03-04-2007, 01:45 PM
We do "touch" here too. We started with a lid, but now just use our hand. Pixel is really good at it, and Pogo is good when treats are involved. :rolleyes:

lizzieb38
03-04-2007, 02:12 PM

Me too. Then they could buy mommy all the wonderful things she likes that Target has. After all mommy goes nuts at Target for them.:rotfl: No really is sounds neat and maybe I'll see if I can get the weens to do it. Thanks for the info.

areese
03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
We do "touch" here too. We started with a lid, but now just use our hand. Pixel is really good at it, and Pogo is good when treats are involved. :rolleyes:

I for some reason really like "touch" to my hand. I love seeing Laika fly across the room and leap up to touch my hand...but the best one is my friend's dog Teddy-he's an akita/pitbull cross probably and has a big old nose...and he does everything at full power so when he does "touch" into your palm it's this big hard wet SQUOOOSH! It makes me laugh every time...and he backs up then and looks for his treat with his big baby face and for some reason it really cracks me up.

jenfer
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
She learned to target at a plastic lid at agility class. At home, I like to have Gigi target my finger. She will be looking at me while I was at the computer or whatever and then I will hold my finger out and she would hesitately touch it with her nose. :) Then I place my finger at different level and such and she will come "crush" my finger at full force. lol. It's a fun game.