PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any fresh fish that is good for dogs??

Jill
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Courtney, help a girl out.

Other then the sardines you get in a can. Can I get the whole sardines from the fish market and give it to them?

Courtney
03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes you can! Whole sardines would be great. I used to be able to find them frozen but for some reason, I can only find them at this one grocery store 40 minutes away. Be warned that your dogs may be PICKY about the fish - Napoleon is like BLECH, NO MOM, NOT EATING THAT!

As a general rule, you want oily, dark-fleshed fish. Check out Oceans Alive...

http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=bestandworst&link=hp

Under the "best" some good choices would be mackerel, sardines, and I guess you could try herring.....they can eat the tilapia and other stuff, it's just not rich in Omega 3s. Plus it is probably pretty $$!!

Note that wild Alaskan salmon is good - farmed or Atlantic salmon is NOT OK.

If you see any other type of fish on sale, look it up on Oceans Alive. Generally if it is safe for humans to eat once in a while, it is OK for your dogs to eat once in a while too. But I would avoid the stuff on the "worst" list.

lizzieb38
03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I was going to suggest salmon too. How is cod for them. Sometimes my Albertson's has salmon, and other fish portions on sale for $1.25 each. They are generally 4-6 oz servings. They are frozen, but might be okay if you thawed them for him. I dunno:scratch: couldn't hurt to try!!

Courtney
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Info on cod: http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=fishpage&group=Cod

Lisa
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Great link, thanks Courtney.

Patt
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the link, very informative.

Claudine
03-19-2007, 08:56 AM
I had a bad experience with fresh fish as dog food. I cooked some tilapia for my husband & gave some to Bob Barker & he had the runs for two days. I know the fish was nice & fresh so I don't give him fresh fish anymore. I think maybe he just can't digest it.

quavec
03-19-2007, 10:51 AM
thanks for the link Courtney:appl:

Jen
03-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Wonderful link Courtney! That reminds me, I've not given Tasha sardines in a month or so. I think its time again.