PDA

View Full Version : Containment

SaraInCT
01-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I was wondering if I could get an idea as to how many members crate/pen their dogs during the day and how many let the dogs have free range. I'm usually gone for an 8 hour shift Mon-Fri with a lunch break I take at home which means the guys are usually alone for about 4 hours at a time, contained in an x-pen. I'd love to transition them to free range but want to get some feed back from y'all. Thanks!

Linus
01-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, I used to gate Bailey in the kitchen, but he was super destructive in there. When I gave him free range of the apartment, nothing. The first few days there were a couple of accidents, but now, nothing. He is even happier with the free range thing if he is at my parent's with their doxie.

I think it largely depends on the ages of your boys, and how they double-team things. Two doxies can entertain eachother and stay out of trouble, or they can be twice as destructive! Maybe you could try just gating them in one room where they couldn't hurt much or get hurt and then let them gradually work up to the whole house.

jenfer
01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
When Gigi was younger she will be in her crate during the day for at least 8 hours. :( But once I trust her I start out by giving her part of my living room and now I give her the whole living room. (well, I live in an apt, so it's not that big. :) )

Fluffy
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I used to crate mine when I was at work. I always felt really guilty about that because I work long hours sometimes. Over Christmas this year when I had to work a lot of 12 hour shifts, i startd just leaving them roam free. They do very well. I've come to the conclusion that Buddy only eats what's nto tied down when I'm home. The rest of the time, he probably just sleeps or plays w/ Heidi or something. Maybe you could do a transition like keep them penned the first 4 hours and unpenned the second 4 hours. Slowly transition them into being able to roam free all the time. I just want to make sure you relize to expect accidents the first few times..Even if they are house trained, its a new experience for them, so they might not know what to do with themselves!! Good luck and keep us updated!

Lisa
01-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Mine are always in their crates when we are not home. Pogo likes to chew computer cables and Pixel likes to pee in an assortment of places....so in their houses they go and then I know they are safe all day. Pixel is in an open crate in the upstairs bathroom with a gate across the door and Pogo is in the downstairs bathroom in an open crate with the door shut (he really doesn't mind!). We orginally had Pixel's door closed but he didn't like it, so we opted for the gate and he has improved a lot.

Courtney
01-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Mine are always contained too. Depending on what sort of foster(s) I have and how potty trained they are I usually crate them when I go to work then come home at lunch and let them out, then they either go back in their crates or gated in the kitchen. It eases my mind that I know exactly where they are when I am not home. I think they would get nervous having the run of the house too.

Jen
01-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Tasha used to be gated in the living room while we were at work, but during thunderstorm season we had to give her free range as her safe place was unavailable to her when gated. Other than a bit of barking when we come home, and one chewing paper trash incident, she's been fine. But she only has access to the living room, kitchen, and shower 1/2 bathroom, about 250 sq feet. The bedroom door is kept closed while we're away as she's not allowed on the bed.

Good luck!!

Otto'sMom
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Otto and Grrrt stay in the Fortress of Gertitude, Austin stays in his kennel (if he isn't hiding from me) or in my bedroom with Buddy and Dolly. If I let Dolly downstairs, she "cleans" the litterboxes for me.:mad:

Patt
01-09-2006, 03:54 AM
I have never crated Trixie she is allowed everywhere but the cats room.

Nancy
01-09-2006, 08:56 AM
I keep Molly in her crate during the day. If she's pee'd and pooped in the a.m. and when i get home at lunch and she's pee'd during her walk, i let her roam free in the kitchen and livingroom only. i'm renting a room right now so when i move into my own home, i'll leave her out all day.

lotsadox
01-09-2006, 09:37 AM
I allow mine to be loose but confined to the bedroom, study, bath with a doggie door to the side yard. They have to be confined to these rooms because of the burglar alarm. Scooter however has to be crated. He's still young and while he's getting better, I still don't feel that I can trust him not to destroy things while I"m gone. He is sometimes in the crate for 6 hours or more. This is more confinement than I like, but sometimes necessary.

Yolanda
01-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I crate everyone.

With fosters coming and going and with my handicapped kids, it is just the best thing to do.

My kids are so well trained they go into the kennels even when I am home for naps with teh doors open.

HotDogMama
01-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Molly is crated, probaly will be until we get our own home. We let her have the bedroom a couple of times until she tried to dig her way out under the door by carpet!! :shocked: