PDA

View Full Version : Slaving over a hot oven

Jacqueline
03-17-2007, 03:04 AM
My dh had a hard time talking the girls into their crates tonight....in fact, it took him three tries to get them in, because they were VERY INTERESTED in what mommy was mixing in her nice big bowl. They could smell what was on the menu. I made a big batch of their cookies tonight for them.

We just bought a new refrigarator. Ours was setting a bad example for the girls by peeing on the floor. Hey, if we don't let them, we couldn't let it keep doing it. The condenser or something must have gone on permanent defrost. This one has a nice big round door container just perfect for their cookie jar on the door....no more having it get shoved to the back of the shelf. Soon they will figure out how to open the door and get their own.

Cookies.....:hearts: :hearts: . I will bake for them when I won't for myself, lol.

Jill
03-17-2007, 07:17 AM
what kind of cookies? lucky girls!

Jacqueline
03-19-2007, 03:18 AM
This is the recipe I use for the girls' cookies, and every dog I have gifted with them just adores them. My grandcat, Copper, loved them, too. Sadly, we just lost him recently. He is now at the bridge with another great cat, Rugrat.

I use butter instead of margarine in this recipe, and throw the bouillon into the water while it boils....save a step and makes sure it mixes well. These should be kept in the fridge, since they are made with egg and butter, but NO PRESERVATIVES. I always make a double batch and freeze them in mason jars, or if I have them, plastic jars that I can ship. They will keep nicely. I have never had any spoil, because I only keep a couple weeks supply in the fridge at a time (it only takes a little while for the frozen ones to thaw...so I take another jar out when I am getting low). My girls will drag me to the fridge to suggest they need a COOKIE.

These are so good, that if it wasn't such a pain to get a licence, I would sell them. I did pass the recipe on to someone who has a shop and is selling them.

Cheesy Dog Biscuit Treats
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 cup rolled oats (such as Quaker)
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup Boiling water
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons chicken or beef flavored instant bouillon
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour.

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
Grease cookie sheets.

In large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine and boiling water; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, cheese and egg; mix well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition to form a stiff dough.

On floured surface, knead in remaining flour until dough is smooth and no longer sticky, 3 to 4 minutes. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with bone shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.(I just lay them right next to each other with no problems) Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes on until golden brown. Cool completely. Store loosely covered. Makes 3 1/2 dozen large dog biscuits or 8 dozen small dog biscuits.

** I use a small teddy bear shaped cutter and a small bone shaped cutter for my cookies. If the girls were bigger, like GS, I would make bigger ones. I would love to get a mini bone size, like a half inch long one, for little treat sizes. I also roll mine just a tad thinner than half inch. I find that 35 min is plenty long.

Lisa
03-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Homemade cookies! Lucky girls.

YUM.