PDA

View Full Version : They killed 7 dogs, just to be sure (Pet Food Contamination)

Jen
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
From the NY Times (emphasis mine):

Of the 10 cats and dogs whose deaths have been linked to pet food that was recalled over the weekend, seven died in a test that the manufacturer began administering last month, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday.

The company, Menu Foods of Streetsville, Ontario, started testing its product on 40 to 50 animals on Feb. 27, one week after it began hearing from owners who said the food had made their pets ill, said Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the agency’s Center for Veterinary Medicine.

The company alerted the F.D.A. to its findings last week, and the agency has since opened a full investigation, Dr. Sundlof said. All the animals that ultimately died had begun showing signs of kidney failure, the agency said.

In addition to those seven tested animals, at least three pets have died after eating contaminated food, Dr. Sundlof said, and the number is expected to rise as officials work to confirm the precise number.

So just to be sure, these a$$holes fed it to 40-50 more animals to see how many would die??? :mad4: :mad4: :doh: I say we boycott ALL of the foods they produce!

Linus
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
OMG!!! Vet reports and testing the actual food itself (as in NOT on animals) wasn't enough!!! Grrrr.....

Otto'sMom
03-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I can and WILL not support that kind of practice. No more Nutro for my pals...now what the heck should I be feeding them:scratch: The little dogs loved the little bites stuff, and the big dogs love the stuff for their joints.

JanUet
03-20-2007, 11:32 AM
:scratch: Why can't they test the food on "other" subjects???

Why bother testing it again and again? :duh: :duh: What sense does THAT make? :duh:

Fluffy
03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
That makes me just plain sick!! I will totally boycott any/all of those products!! God speed little guys :sosad: :candle2:

quavec
03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, all the more reason for me to stick to Dick Van Patton's NB (until I learn otherwise) or even Paul Newman's line of dog food - I've bought his biscuits. These two seem to be totally against animal 'experimentation' and seem to do the whole 'human grade' thing.

Of course, this also makes me rethink the whole RAW food diet too.

Disgusting is what it is :mad:

LexieLuvr
03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm glad I'm with NB - my kids like it a lot, and it keeps them healthy and their weight good (I feed the Reduced Calorie). That's so typical of a large company - just to make sure, kill a few more animals! They're just animals.:sosad:

dachiehome
03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
we switched to solid gold and will not go back to natural choice ever after reading this. i have fed natural choice for over 10 years. cathy

Jen
03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
now what the heck should I be feeding them:scratch: The little dogs loved the little bites stuff

Evo (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D'1246'%5D) (by Innova) is a VERY small bite size. Tasha loves it. And Nature's Variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1321&-session=naturesvariety:415858A207d071FD36Pwn1AFC56 E) also makes a kibble.

Anatresia
03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
The Nutro Lamb and Rice is the only food that hasn't made Butters break out in hives... I've experimented with so many holisitic, allergy-friendly foods and that's the only one he likes to eat and doesn't make him break out.

Scary and :sosad:. I'm not sure what to do now.

Otto'sMom
03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Evo (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D'1246'%5D) (by Innova) is a VERY small bite size. Tasha loves it. And Nature's Variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1321&-session=naturesvariety:415858A207d071FD36Pwn1AFC56 E) also makes a kibble.

Neither exist in this redneck part of the woods.

catstamm
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
The Nutro Lamb and Rice is the only food that hasn't made Butters break out in hives... I've experimented with so many holisitic, allergy-friendly foods and that's the only one he likes to eat and doesn't make him break out.

Scary and :sosad:. I'm not sure what to do now.

Tracy NB duck and potatoe should be fine and much better food for handsome Mr Butters :)

catstamm
03-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Neither exist in this redneck part of the woods.

Do you have Canidae, Wellness or Solid Gold in your neck of the woods...they are all good

quavec
03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Do you have Canidae, Wellness or Solid Gold in your neck of the woods...they are all good

YES - Andrea, I think Petsmart carries Innova? I thought it did anyway. Way in the back part of the store? Anyway, it does carry the above mentioned ones. This is very scary and although the media is blasting the story left and right, I doubt the company will get much more than a fine, if that :sosad:

Anatresia
03-20-2007, 05:15 PM
I'll try the NB duck and potato. Thanks!

oceangirls
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
if you haven't looked already, try www.dogaware.com - they have a nice list of both dry and canned foods that have human-grade ingredients.

lizzieb38
03-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I saw it this morning and couldn't believe it either. What a sad thing.:candle3: :candle2: :candle: :tissue: for all those poor lil creatures!

dachiehome
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
i have a sanctuary dog who has severe food alergies, he eats medical hypo, it can only be bought at vet clinic. it has saved his life. cathy:cheer2: