PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer says pet food isn't contaminated

Courtney
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032207dnnatpetfoodrecall.270936b.html

Manufacturer says pet food isn't contaminated

Company has no explanation for animal deaths

06:09 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Associated Press

WASHINGTON – The pet food linked to the deaths of 16 animals has shown no signs of contamination, the manufacturer says, and the company cannot explain why the cats and dog developed acute kidney failure and died.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Paul Henderson, the chief executive and president of Menu Foods, said Wednesday the company was looking at a single ingredient. He wouldn't identify it, but the Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation was focusing on wheat gluten.

"Our hypothesis is that it is that ingredient that in fact represents the highest probability as to the cause," Henderson said. "But we have been unable to prove that through scientific information."

The animal deaths have led to the recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food sold throughout North America under 95 brand names.

"This is a puzzling and troubling experience for everybody within this organization," Henderson said in an interview from company headquarters in Streetsville, Ontario. "It is extremely disheartening that we haven't been able to find the causative agent."

There have been tests on 10 cats that died, performed by an outside company for Menu Foods. The results show only that the cats died of acute kidney failure.

There have been widespread reports of kidney failure, some fatal, in pets that have eaten the recalled brands. The company has confirmed the overall deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall has sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels like Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. Call centers hired by the company received 47,000 calls over the weekend, Henderson said.

"Our hearts go out to all of the pet owners across Canada, the United States and Mexico for any losses they experience and certainly for the worry this incident may be causing," Henderson said.

The FDA has sent investigators to New Jersey and Kansas plants operated by Menu Foods.

Wheat gluten is a source of protein and was used to thicken the gravy in the pet food, sold in both cans and pouches, according to the FDA.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was available from the Menu Foods Web site.

The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information – 866-463-6738 and 866-895-2708.

Menu Foods is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

Henderson said the company delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated by heavy metals or mold toxins, the FDA said.

quavec
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Already they are backpedeling and trying to deflect the blame. :mad:

You know, wheat gluten in humans can be toxic in itself. Look at those people who end up with siliac disease (sp?). If you googled 'gluten allergies', you'll find a whole bunch of hits and links to show that wheat gluten is harmful for some. So, who's to say that this couldn't be some form of this allergy? In combination with mold or other toxins an undiagnosed allergic reaction can balloon into kidney failure. I know this sounds very 'conspiracy theoristic', but it just makes me mad as he11 to see the corp try to shrug their shoulders and say "it wasn't me" :mad:

doxiemommy3
03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
hmmmmm interesting....I don't care I just know I am not very happy at all about this whole thing...I will not be buying their food ever again I do not care if they say "it was not them".

I resently had a problem with Gerber baby food and they were quick to respond and did not act like they were not the problem (even though the problem did not end up being them only shipping issues or stroing issues before coming to my home) still they were very very very good about and did not pass balme on to other and were more than happy to fix the problem even sending a person to my house to pick the baby food up and getting it to the lab ASAP to see what was wrong...I think the pet food company needs to be like that really I do...I know I love my animals just as much as I do my real kids and I prefer not to take any chances with either one.

Patt
03-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Yeah, right. I returned Sophistacat to Petsmart today. The manager said the cans were not on the list, but I insisted they take them back anyway! I'm not taking any chances.

LUVMYGUNNER
03-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Supposedly Vit K also causes renal failure and those brands probably have it.

dachiehome
03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
this link was sent to me yesterday. surley PETA could not be involved. this was out long before this scandel http://www.peta.org/feat/iams/menu-mfg.html

Tex
03-22-2007, 09:45 AM
This whole mess is making very glad that I shell out the extra cash for our food...I feed Innova small bites, just FYI. I hope that whatever is causing all of this is found and found soon so that no more pets suffer!!!!:sosad:

LexieLuvr
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
This whole mess is making very glad that I shell out the extra cash for our food...I feed Innova small bites, just FYI. I hope that whatever is causing all of this is found and found soon so that no more pets suffer!!!!:sosad:
Yeah - they've killed enough already!!!:sosad:

Jen
03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, I'm glad Tasha's on Innova Evo and Nature's Variety raw.

How dare they claim its not their fault. There's definitely correlation if not causality. Just cause they can't isolate the cause doesn't mean its not there!

Linus
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
People suck.

I just sent an e-mail to my mom who feeds Scout the Nutro weight control formula, told her it was time to treat him to something new in the bowl. Hopefully now he'll get Natural Balance, which is better anyway!