View Full Version : The Dachshund Decline?

catstamm
03-24-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9110808

lotsadox
03-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Maybe they're declining in Germany but if rescues are any indication, they're certainly not declining in Texas. Our rescue has been full with 10+ dogs in kennel for over a year now. At one point we had over 50 dogs awaiting adoption! :shocked:

Tex
03-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Well that just goes to show that Germany must have poor taste in dogs!:sosad:

I love my wieners and can't ever imagine having another breed!:hearts:
(No offense intended to those doxies by proxie here on the DLC!!!:hug99: Just a personal opinion :))

oceangirls
03-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Pet owners are choosing more fashionable dogs like Jack Russell and Highland terriers???

Huh??? :conf4:

I have nothing against either of those dog breeds, but could someone please explain to me (1) why exactly they are more fashionable, and (2) what in doG's name fashion has to do with selecting a breed of dog??? (other than buying them Coach collars. Jill :lol: )

:wtf:

seems like a good example of a journalist with nothing much to talk about who decided to stir some ---- up :rolleyes:

lotsadox
03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I have nothing against either of those dog breeds, but could someone please explain to me (1) why exactly they are more fashionable, and (2) what in doG's name fashion has to do with selecting a breed of dog??? (other than buying them Coach collars. Jill :lol: )

Unfortunately, fashion has a lot to do with the type and whether or not a lot of people get a dog. For example, right now 'pocket pups' the tiny little breeds are hot because pop icons like Paris Hilton (gag, gag) carry them around in public. All the little groupies think that their cool and want one too. I've also notice that a lot of yuppie types have to have certain breeds of dogs because that's what their friends have. :rolleyes:

catstamm
03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey Guys this is in reference to Germany....Where the Dachshund was practically the countries symbol, per say, for years....
In the US it is the 6th most population breed as far as the AKC is concerned.
On the other hand it is one of the top ten breeds to go into rescue... ;)
Like you Patrice we get 3 emails about relinquishing a dachshund to every inquiry about wanting to adopt..... I think the amount of them is rescue is not an indication of how populatr they are...if that were the case...they wouldn't be in rescue :scratch:
Europe takes their breeding serious, for the most part, unlike the US....
The amount of dachshunds in rescue indicates, the ridiculous amount of Irrsponsible breeders,BYB's, puppy mills and idiots that choose a breed without educating themselves on the type of dog they are getting...
Of course for us doxies lovers there is NO other breed :hearts:
And saidly enough too many people choose a specific beed for fashion....that's why mini's and tea cups are so popular....and don't forget Paris Hilton and the countless morons like her.

Alex's Mom
03-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Well said Cat!!! (As usual :)) There are much stricter rules re: breeding etc. in Europe than in North america, and sadly we sure see the results!!! However, anyone who can't handle a dachsie and chooses a JRT instead is in for some serious eye-opening experiences! :rotfl:

Kerie
03-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I will always have my dog breed preferences and I don't think that a trend could change my preference in a dog. But it is true that many people like to have a popular dog.

I believe that the whole "teacup thing" has caused many dachsies to be bred smaller. I just do not see so many true standards anymore, and I have a special liking for them.

I recently saw a ranking of popular dog breeds here in the US. Dachshunds were holding their own on that list. :cheer2:

lotsadox
03-26-2007, 08:30 AM
..... I think the amount of them is rescue is not an indication of how populatr they are...if that were the case...they wouldn't be in rescue :scratch: .

I have to differ with you here, Cat. I don't think dachshunds end up in rescue because they aren't popular. Popularity has nothing to do with ending up in rescue. Irresponsible owners and breeders are why then end up in rescue. Goldens are VERY popular here and there are tons of them in rescue. I believe that the more popular a dog is the more likely there are to be a ton in rescue. When a dog becomes "popular" lots of people decide that they HAVE to have one whether or not the dog suits their personality and lifestyle. I think that they more popular a dog is the more likely it is to be in rescue.

Otto'sMom
03-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Buddy, Pearl, Dexter, Darwin and I would beg to differ:rolleyes:

catstamm
03-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Europe takes their breeding serious, for the most part, unlike the US....
The amount of dachshunds in rescue indicates, the ridiculous amount of Irrsponsible breeders,BYB's, puppy mills and idiots that choose a breed without educating themselves on the type of dog they are getting...

I said that too silly.....I'm sure we are on the same page.....:hug99:

lotsadox
03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
:rotfl: Okay, I sorta wondered. . . . :scratch:

catstamm
03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
:rotfl: Okay, I sorta wondered. . . . :scratch:
How dare you wonder :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rae
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Long live Irminsul! (Katja's mom's kennel)

Jen
03-27-2007, 11:28 AM
A decline is ok as long as the active breeders are excellent ones like Kat's mother!