PDA

View Full Version : Agility Weekend with The Weens and Salsa (Pics Added!!!)

areese
03-25-2007, 09:50 AM
It was an interesting weekend!!! I wsan't sure I could run at 8 days post-surgery but I COULD!!!! :banana:
The first couple runs, though, I must have been thinking too much about my knee and not running freely cuz Owen was slow and just not running in his wonderful tail-wagging Owen way. Couldn't do the gamble in Jackpot (where the dog has to work away from the handler) and was over-time in another run (and Owen NEVER is over time...) SO I worked hard at getting him all happy and having fun but then he jumped off the teeter. Both my dogs are confused by the teeter there-it tips way later than normal (dog has to be way toward the end if they are small) and that makes them think it isn't really a teeter... Laika jumped off exactly like Owen. Many many dogs did...or flew off while it was coming down. That's really scary and dangerous...I'm gonna email the owners and see if they will check it out some. THEN Owen got weird abut the A-frame and if he doesn't approach it with confidence and a fast running start, it's a very difficult obstacle for a dachshund. And he struggles over it, which then makes him be afraid the next time so he doesn't approach it fast and so on and so on. So the final run, I paused with him (we had enough room :)) and got him revved up and he bounded up it with enthusiasm so when he was done, I sacrificed the run and just ran out of the ring with him without finishing the course, cheering and praising him so he could have his treat for that right away. I don't think Owen has EVER had a weekend before where he hasn't qualified at all. O well.
Laika ran pretty nicely for me...I don't enter her in much. She got two "Q's" and two second placements which is good cuz although she jumps 4 inches, she is judged against all the 8 inch dogs (she is classified as an "early veteran" due to her breed and can jump 4" below it if I so choose. and I do :)) Our friend Becky ran her once and she ran SO fast but then decided to come see if I was watching her...then went back and finished really fast but there's not enough time for her to be visiting!! I love watching her run though...it's so darn cute.
AND lil Salsalita!!!!! She qualifed in both her runs (Jumpers and Fullhouse) and that gives her another title!!! She was fast and o so cute. I"ll take a picture of her with her ribbons today :)

Alex's Mom
03-25-2007, 09:56 AM
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: for everyone!!! Maybe Owie was feeding off your split concentration? He's SUCH a mama's boy :rotfl: And geez!!! Little S. is going to show up her bigger siblings at this rate!!! Love that miss Diva needed to know her mom was watching! :rolleyes: But what I :hearts: best of all, Amy, is how wonderful you are...sacrificing the run to keep Owen's confidence up...not all competitors are like that in my experience! You go girl!!! :hug99::hug99::hug99: And a couple of knee-healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: just in case you have a bit of an aftereffect...)

areese
03-25-2007, 10:05 AM
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: for everyone!!! Maybe Owie was feeding off your split concentration? He's SUCH a mama's boy :rotfl: And geez!!! Little S. is going to show up her bigger siblings at this rate!!! Love that miss Diva needed to know her mom was watching! :rolleyes: But what I :hearts: best of all, Amy, is how wonderful you are...sacrificing the run to keep Owen's confidence up...not all competitors are like that in my experience! You go girl!!! :hug99::hug99::hug99: And a couple of knee-healing :bigrayz::bigrayz::bigrayz: just in case you have a bit of an aftereffect...)

I am REALLY sure Owen was "off" cuz I was. Like you said, he's such a mama's boy and very sensitive. And hasn't been doing agility all that long really so his confidence is not really great....and you know, he's just that kinda dog. SO sweet, but not the bravest boy in the world. I do feel happy that I rewarded Owen's A-frame like that. My friends said he looked SO excited when I stopped and praised him and ran out with him. So I'm hoping it made him feel good. He did run so nicely that run...he just DIVES into the tunnels and jumps so high and it's so cute.
I have such wonderful dog...:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

oceangirls
03-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I think you guys are a perfect example of what a successful dog-human relationship should be. They obviously love working for/with you, and the way you treat them is just going to reinforce their love and respect. Doesn't surprise me that they are champions!!

:cheer2: to all of you :)

Patt
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Agility sounds like so much fun. :banana:
:cheer2: Laika, :cheer2: Owen, & :cheer2: Salsa.

jenfer
03-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Congrats for you. That makes me want to enter another trial. We have only been to one and it was great. We went as a class (trainer and all the student... a total of 5) and we cheered for each other. It was fond memory. haha. And Gigi jumped 4 inches and was judged as 8 inches as well.

lizzieb38
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana: :banana: :banana: :appl: :appl: Oh Amy, they just keep making their Auntie Lizzie proud too. Can't wait to see pics of my "wee lil niece" and her ribbons. But ARE you crazy?? can't believe you went out on your knee already. But way to go all of you!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: all around to the Reese's!!

Tex
03-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a very full weekend! You take it easy on that knee now! Congrats all around for eveybody's accomplishments (even if they didn't come with a "Q" or a ribbon!):cheer2:

lotsadox
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
It sounds like you had a great weekend even though poor Owey was off his game. :( I do think that he was off because you were. Some of them are so attuned to us that they feel what we feel. Miller is that way and I have to make any extra effort when I take him somewhere to stay calm so he will.

Mama S.
03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
We live to see another trial - but now we know that your knee is ok so the best is yet to come!! I'm just thrilled that you got great relief for that knee and didn't reinjure it!! Kiss the babies - they knew Mom was off and were more worried about her than ribbons!!
Mama

areese
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Salsa and her ribbons
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0333.jpg

Laika and hers (she did NOT want this picture taken for some reason. As is made evident by the look on her face)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0340.jpg

And a bonus Owey pic (he wanted his picture taken really badly)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/scoutyreese/PICT0342.jpg

LexieLuvr
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I think you guys are a perfect example of what a successful dog-human relationship should be. They obviously love working for/with you, and the way you treat them is just going to reinforce their love and respect. Doesn't surprise me that they are champions!!

:cheer2: to all of you :)
Amen to that! I've watched agility matches, and you can just TELL the successes by the body language. Makes me grin all over, and applaud like crazy!!

Alex's Mom
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Great pics...I still can't get over how tiny Salsalita is!!! And the expressions on Miss Diva and Owie's faces are priceless!!!!!!! :hug99::hug99:

Da Brat
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
That has to be one of the few pictures where my bug-eyed midget isn't giving us the diva stink eye!! :rotfl:

Love the pics and no Ms. Laika doesn't look pleased one bit!!

areese
03-27-2007, 01:40 AM
That has to be one of the few pictures where my bug-eyed midget isn't giving us the diva stink eye!! :rotfl:

Love the pics and no Ms. Laika doesn't look pleased one bit!!

Cuz I didn't have to use the flash!!! It was so nice and sunny...
Man...Laika sure did have some sorta bug up her butt yesterday when picture taking. The ribbons were flapping in the wind...perhaps that was the problem but she would NOT sit down and would NOT look at me (except to give me the stink eye of course)

michelehbc
03-27-2007, 02:25 AM
OOOHHHH! :hearts: Owey's "aw shucks" looks always get me! :hearts:

Tex
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Great pics Amy! If Salsa keeps winning and those ribbons ever get any bigger, she might not be bigger than they are! Laika does not look pleased, but hey, every girl is entitled to an off day. Love me some Owey!! Julie sends her love!:hearts:

Rileybugg
03-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Oh they are all so very cute! Owen is such a handsome fellow. I would love to fix him up with my little Bella!!! :rotfl:

Jen
03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Wow, Salsa is amazing--she has caught on so fast and must be fearless to do A frame at her size. I don't blame Owen for being nervous around it. And they're all so cute, even miss stinkeye.

Chris
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I also sent the pictures to Tom (my husband) also so he could see.

I am glad you posted the pictures, otherwise you were going to be in major trouble!!!!

Alex gives that exact same look that Laika does!

BTW, we have lots of extra room if Laika ever feels she wants a "change in residence" LOL

areese
03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I also sent the pictures to Tom (my husband) also so he could see.

I am glad you posted the pictures, otherwise you were going to be in major trouble!!!!

Alex gives that exact same look that Laika does!

BTW, we have lots of extra room if Laika ever feels she wants a "change in residence" LOL

I was thinking Laika looked a bit like Alex in that picture!!

samandissy
03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
First, I am so happy that your knee is doing great and that you were able to do this. You must be in great shape to heal so fast. Your three pups are just gorgeous and talented and happy to love you. Okay, maybe not at every picture taking session, but I know they do. I think Agility is so interesting. Wish I could participate. Sam would do great and never get tired, Issy, well, Issy, would look at the course and give me the "I don't think so, Mama" look. Great job, Amy.:appl: :appl:

areese
03-28-2007, 11:49 AM
First, I am so happy that your knee is doing great and that you were able to do this. You must be in great shape to heal so fast. Your three pups are just gorgeous and talented and happy to love you. Okay, maybe not at every picture taken session, but I know they do. I think Agility is so interesting. Wish I could participate. Sam would do great and never get tired, Issy, well, Issy, would look at the course and give me the "I don't think so, Mama" look. Great job, Amy.:appl: :appl:

Agility IS so much fun I think. Totally addicting, cuz I see people start all the time and they get crazy for it quite quickly!! And CPE is so cool..there are people and dogs with all sorts of abilities...there's one woman who runs the courses with an amigo cart! ALL breeds of dogs, all ages of people and dogs, and just some of the nicest people ever.
The PT people did say I am progressing really fast because I am in such good shape. It's kinda a dichotomy though..cuz they say don't do anything that hurts...and the only reason I am in good shape is I continued to work out despite all the pain pre-surgery. But now I'm not supposed to continue if anything hurts which is a little frustrating cuz the exercises are easy...I just have this recurring sharp pain in the front of my knee and then they say ok we won't do that yet. So I'm always tempted to say no it doesn't hurt but I did that a bit yesterday with this machine they have and it did hurt pretty bad all night last night.