PDA

View Full Version : What else slims down doxies?

Tex
03-28-2007, 09:08 AM
My mom's doxie Kacie is getting to be a little "over-loved". My mom tried mixing in greenbeans (I told her how well it worked for Julie), but Kacie refused to eat them. She actually picked them out of the bowl. Is there something else that mom could use that would help fill Kacie's tummy, but not add calories or fat? I already have mom cutting back on the treats :).

Rae
03-28-2007, 09:11 AM
carrots?? Duchie likes the toothpick kind...
they are kind of sweet.

areese
03-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Laika picks them out too but I noticed recently when I put some in by accident that she ate them. So I've been putting some in and now she eats them (Owen and Salsa love them..in fact lil bugdog Salsa likes them better than dog food) Maybe if Kacie gets used to them she will eat them...also if your mom would feed her less, her hunger would push her to eat them... I'm just thinking she's not going to be wanting to eat ANY veggies if she's like Laika (she's a meat/cheese sorta dog, but those aren't low cal),
I'd cut back her food and add the beans for a few days and see if she eats them. HOw much is she feeding her? Mine get 1/4 cup of food twice a day...the beans are just to make it seem like more.

Frzframe
03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
How about mixing in 5 healthy, hyper terrier puppies?? Let me tell you my crew are getting a work out by playing with those pups. :)

How about trying some low fat yogurt? Plain of course. Mine love it. Or how about heating the green beans up a tad to make them more tasty for her.

Patt
03-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Cut down on the amount of food and up the exercise.
Carrots cooked "al dente" are good, but remember not too many b/c of sugar content.

Jen
03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I alternate green beans with broccoli for Tasha. And she also loves pumpkin. But cutting the kibble is key. And lots more exercise if possible.

Its funny, Tasha has stopped doing zoomies in the park--we think its cause instead of a once or twice a week treat, she's in a park twice a day and just doesn't have that extra energy. This week she's been getting a 30 min walk in the am and a 60 min walk once we're home from work. Plus another 15 before bed. Of course, Kacie may have to slowly work up to long walks if she's not been getting enough regular exercise.

LexieLuvr
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I've heard that broccoli isn't the best idea - gassy. I do give cauliflower quite often however - even if it's pricey, because that's a good filler and my two love it. Some eat squash, sweet potato, (my two love lettuce!) - just experiment with some veggies and see what they'll eat. And there's always good old pumpkin, of course.

Jen
03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I've heard that broccoli isn't the best idea - gassy.

I guess beans might be too. :D But honestly, she doesn't seem any more gassy on broccoli night. She likes cauliflower too. But I know each dog is different on what they (and the humans they're snuggling up with) can tolerate!

lotsadox
03-28-2007, 12:25 PM
If she's not eating the green beans and picking them out, my gut feeling is that she's getting too much to eat. I'd cut back on the kibble and get her moving!

Puppies do work, Shonda. Miller has no weight problem since the energetic Scooter came to live with us! :banana: :hearts: :banana:

jenfer
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
If your mom replaced part of the kibbles with greenbean, she will eventually have to eat it, right? Otherwise she would go hungry. What works for Miss Gigi is I just stop giving her treats. Or you can take out the treats from her daily kibbles.

LexieLuvr
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
If your mom replaced part of the kibbles with greenbean, she will eventually have to eat it, right? Otherwise she would go hungry. What works for Miss Gigi is I just stop giving her treats. Or you can take out the treats from her daily kibbles.
True - they will NOT starve themselves, unless they are ill - then they just don't want to eat because they feel ill and know eating won't make them better.

catstamm
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
If she's not eating the green beans and picking them out, my gut feeling is that she's getting too much to eat. I'd cut back on the kibble and get her moving!

Puppies do work, Shonda. Miller has no weight problem since the energetic Scooter came to live with us! :banana: :hearts: :banana:

Patrice you took the words right outta my mouth...hungry dogs eat ANYTHING.....
If a dog is overweight it doesn't need any treats....my girls rarely get treats.
Tell your mom the story about Mitzi and her being "over-loved" killed her!!!

Tex
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Patrice you took the words right outta my mouth...hungry dogs eat ANYTHING.....
If a dog is overweight it doesn't need any treats....my girls rarely get treats.
Tell your mom the story about Mitzi and her being "over-loved" killed her!!!
Mitzi's story is what got her motivated!:banana: That, and I told her Zandra would kill me if she brought Kacie to Buda and she was "plump". I told mom the same thing about cutting the kibble and that eventually she will eat the beans. Mom seems to think that Kacie has a little trouble eating them due to her teeth (her jaw was broken and healed off-set......she eats kibble ok though :scratch: , but does better with the small kind). I was just wondering if there was something else to try that might be easier for Kacie to eat. Thanks for the tips!

I'm also doing my best to enforce the "more excersise".....mom is 69 and working full time as a teacher. I need to get dad to take Kacie and Ginger for a longer walk since he can go during the day on his scooter!

Jen
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Having your dad take them along as he has a scooter sounds perfect!

How about putting the green beans in a blender to make a soft mush?

LexieLuvr
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Jen had a good idea - although if she can eat kibble, she surely should be able to smoosh green beans - but I know some who blend them, too. I repeat: If a dog isn't ill, and gets hungry enough, it will eat what it's given and will not starve to death!

Claudine
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I had two out of three doxies that needed to lose weight & my daughter (who works with dogs at an obedience school) told me to do the following & it's really working! They are noticeably slimmer after only 1 month!: Grind the green beans & carrots coarsely in a blender & then I add quite a bit of it to Wellness canned dog food. They are getting high-quality food & you are adding healthy bulk to it, so they feel fuller without getting too many calories. Maybe your pupper will eat the veggies if they're ground up & mixed with the food, like that. Good luck! Also, you have to practice "tough love" and 100% cut out ALL human food and the only snacks allowed are an occasional raw carrot.:angel7: :angel7:

LexieLuvr
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Rena blends her green beans for her crew, too! Says it's closer to the form they'd get it in the wild and the nutrients are absorbed better.

Tex
04-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Update: Mom had bought "regular" green beans.....I told her to try the "french cut" ones (that's what I feed my 2), and Kacie loves them!!! She is doing very well with her weight loss (she didn't need to lose much, but if you don't catch it early.....). Thanks for all the tips ya'll!!! I hadn't thought about blending the vegi's! My next goal is to change mom's idea of treats from something bought at the pet store to something like carrots!

LexieLuvr
04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
She likes "French cut" better? Hmmmm - very interesting. Mine like them either way. Hooray for finding something that worked!! :appl: :appl: The 'net has a lot of recipes of healthy dog cookies/snacks, too, if you want to go that way. Easy on the carrots - they have sugar. Cauliflower is good (albeit expensive!).

Chris
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Hmm..I was thinking - could we have a doxie weightloss challenge like the one that is done for people - I trimmed Alex down now he is up again! Grrrr

Sophie and Lili's Mom
04-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I a pretty sure Kacie likes canned pumpkin too....