PDA

View Full Version : Now RECALLING DRY food!!!!!

catstamm
03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I was on the news here this morning that Menu Foods is now recalling their DRY food also!!!!

Patt
03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't received a notice on that yet, I'll let you know if I do.

phoria2
03-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Here's what I found on Yahoo referring to dry food contaminiation.....Menu foods website has not expanded the recall..........

"The recall involved nearly 100 brands of "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food made by Menu Foods. The recall covered products carrying names of major brand-name and private-label products sold throughout North America.

The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said. There is no risk to human food, he told reporters.

Menu Foods used wheat gluten, a source of vegetable protein, to thicken the gravy of its pet foods, FDA officials have said.

Menu Foods spokesman Sam Bornstein did not know whether company testing had found melamine in its products. The company planned a press conference later Friday."

areese
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
What I heard is that an as yet un-named dog food manufacturer of dry foods also imports the wheat gluten. It was found to be contaminated with melanine which is used to manufacture some plastics but they don't know how that would poison the animals....
So it's not confirmed yet as far as I can find out and it may not be menu food but other manufacterers and it may or may not have been used in pet food.

Da Brat
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
What I heard is that an as yet un-named dog food manufacturer of dry foods also imports the wheat gluten. It was found to be contaminated with melanine which is used to manufacture some plastics but they don't know how that would poison the animals....
So it's not confirmed yet as far as I can find out and it may not be menu food but other manufacterers and it may or may not have been used in pet food.

Well can they be any more vague?!!? Good grief?!

Patt
03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
From today's news. http://www.msnbc.msn.com:80/id/17862261/from/ET/

areese
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
From today's news. http://www.msnbc.msn.com:80/id/17862261/from/ET/

I think that's a seperate issue....
I'll keep my eyes open for updates on the vague information about melanine.

jenfer
03-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Not again! If anyone see anything on the news please post. I want to know.

Linus
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh good gracious! Raw is starting to sound better and better to me. Even if it is disgusting.

lotsadox
03-30-2007, 01:08 PM

They don't know how that would poison animals???? :wtf: They're dying of kidney failure. The kidney filter all of the unusable substances out of the body. Melamine would be an unusable substance. Did they ever think that maybe the poor animals kidneys weren't able to process the substance and shut down? There's a reason that people and animals don't eat plastics. We can't digest and process them!!! Geesh. Who are these "experts"?

Linus
03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Geesh. Who are these "experts"?

Guys that get paid to look like they know what they are doing, but really didn't pass high school biology. That's my guess anyway.

Patt
03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
http://www.wyff4.com:80/news/11454230/detail.html?treets=gs&tml=gs_natlbreak&ts=T&tmi=gs_natlbreak_1_09260203302007

Courtney
03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Oh good gracious! Raw is starting to sound better and better to me. Even if it is disgusting.

I know what you're saying, but pet food ALWAYS grossed me out way more than raw food ever did. There was just something about it, even the dry stuff, that was just really, really gross to me!!! And yes, the raw meat was a little weird and nasty at first, but I quickly got used to it. Now I would not have it any other way, especially after all this! After all, if it is safe enough for human consumption......can't be worse than dog food!!!!

Linus
03-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Courtney, maybe after I have some practice with your guys this summer I'll get more used to the idea. For one dog that doesn't eat that much anyway, it can't be that difficult.

samandissy
03-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I saw a small portion of the FDA News Conference this morning and most of what is posted already was discussed. PETA is the group calling for dry food to be recalled, not the FDA. While they are trying to clear things up, it is just getting cloudier, to me anyway. Keep our animals safe should be the main goal here.

lotsadox
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
PETA has a way of making things worse while they're trying to make them better. :duh:

areese
03-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I saw a small portion of the FDA News Conference this morning and most of what is posted already was discussed. PETA is the group calling for dry food to be recalled, not the FDA. While they are trying to clear things up, it is just getting cloudier, to me anyway. Keep our animals safe should be the main goal here.

For sure...Peta gets their name in the news, Menu foods continues to be concerned with covering their corp. butts, the news puts anything on that will get people freaked out and watching the news, and the important part; our pets safety, is not the main thing anymore.
I thought Peta's stance was that animals are better off dead than being pets...am I wrong??? So why do they even care?

Patt
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM
So why do they even care?

It's the bad publicity they give these companies to get them to change. The compaines usually come around with pressure.
I know not many people are pleased but you do what you have to do to keep them on the hot seat. JMO

Patt
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
A new release from AVMA

http://www.avma.org/press/releases/070330_petfoodrecall.asp

dachiehome
03-30-2007, 05:03 PM
it is beginning to sound like they are grinding up garbage, bags and all to feed to our dogs. nutro natural choice was a good food now i am afraid to feed it to any dog. we are paying good money to kill our dogs.

Da Brat
03-30-2007, 05:13 PM
My concern is that I have cats, they don't make a "medallion" for cats. And there is no way I am going to give my cats raw chicken to drag all over the house! So what food do I use as a "back up"?! Nutro is adamant that they produce all of their own dry kibble and that it's unaffected by this. They just out source the making of their "wet" foods.
UUUGH.. This sucks. I have no idea what to do. :sosad:

areese
03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
My concern is that I have cats, they don't make a "medallion" for cats. And there is no way I am going to give my cats raw chicken to drag all over the house! So what food do I use as a "back up"?! Nutro is adamant that they produce all of their own dry kibble and that it's unaffected by this. They just out source the making of their "wet" foods.

There are some sites that tell you how to make your own cat food. It does seem to be mainly raw feeders but some say you can also cook the meat. It seems to also require a lot of grinding and quite bit of time...
http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking

I'm toying with the idea myself for the dogs... Gosh if there was ever a time to start an in-home business of making dog food it is now...

Courtney
03-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Your cats can eat the same frozen commercial raw stuff - including the medallions. Meat is meat. Whether or not they WILL eat it is the question. Cats are picky, and you cannot "starve" them into eating like you can a dog or they will get sick. Which is why our cats eat cat food still. $50 a bag cat food, but still. I curse them. I hate them. They stink and are messy and useless. Oh wait, we're talking about pet food. :evilgrin:

plus there always have been, and always will be, way better foods out there than Nutro. I don't mean to offend anyone, but only the Ultra is really a decent food.

Courtney
03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Gosh if there was ever a time to start an in-home business of making dog food it is now...

I know, totally....the problem is, how do you make raw feeding (this may not be what you are thinking, but it is what I am thinking) totally easy? It will always require a little work - storage, freezing, defrosting. This is why pet food is the norm, because it is so easy. I don't find raw feeding difficult at all, but I am willing to do it for my pets.

People have asked me, oh you make your own pet food? Well, no. So you buy it then? Yes, I buy meat. And then you make it? Um, I take it out of the package and I feed it to the dogs...so not really... I believe that the ideal diet is just meat, bones and organs and that can't really be sold as "pet food" - believe me, if I could make a business out of this, I would! And I've thought about some sort of meat distribution/raw feeding guru thing. But then I worry about insurance liability and all that. Grr.

akiss
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
My dogs eat Natures Variety Raw ..... it is for Dogs and Cats.... but the cats wanted nothing to do with it!!!

Patt
03-30-2007, 08:14 PM
No raw food served here, but if your into cooking homemade meals....

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com:80/group/Totally_Home_Cooking/

http://www.seefido.com:80/html/dog_food_recipes.htm

dachiehome
03-30-2007, 08:24 PM
thanks, two great sites. cathy

areese
03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
No raw food served here, but if your into cooking homemade meals....

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com:80/group/Totally_Home_Cooking/

http://www.seefido.com:80/html/dog_food_recipes.htm

I'm seriously considering it...as long as I could make it up ahead of time and freeze it...

Courtney
03-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I would strongly advise anyone against cooking food for their pets. I know I'm not an expert or a vet but I have done a lot of research.

Here is one article: http://rawfed.com/myths/cookedfood.html

I would say one condition it could cause would be pancreatitis. And who knows what else.....

Despite all my talk about how easy it is, you CAN very easily feed an unbalanced home-fed diet, and it CAN do a lot of damage. For example, a boneless raw diet would lack calcium and that would be bad!! Please, if you are going to prepare your own food for your pets, please do a lot of research first.

quavec
03-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been thinking about RAW. But, I'm still only in the thinking phase. I also heard about a possible dry food recall but once I heard that PETA was the ones pushing it and they really had no grounds (yet) for it, I changed the channel. I'm not saying we need more animals to die to have grounds for a recall, but it sounded as thought PETA was up to some of their typical radical stuff so I tuned out. I'll keep an ear out though.

Otto'sMom
03-31-2007, 05:20 PM
What's sad is that I put more time into preparing my dog's food than I EVER put into preparing my own meals:rolleyes: and all I'm doing is adding vitamins and tuna to dog food.
I've got to do another puppy suppertime video, showing how crazy they go now that I put tuna in their bowls.

Marie
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I would strongly advise anyone against cooking food for their pets. I know I'm not an expert or a vet but I have done a lot of research.

Here is one article: http://rawfed.com/myths/cookedfood.html

I would say one condition it could cause would be pancreatitis. And who knows what else.....

Despite all my talk about how easy it is, you CAN very easily feed an unbalanced home-fed diet, and it CAN do a lot of damage. For example, a boneless raw diet would lack calcium and that would be bad!! Please, if you are going to prepare your own food for your pets, please do a lot of research first.

Courtney,

I was just wondering about the raw diet. I had my Hoocher in today for his shots and was talking to the vet about all this recall mess. I mentioned that I had found a site (not this one) where it suggested feeding raw chicken, especially the dark meat. He said that he would be very concerned about doing that because of the risk of Salmanella (sp). Do you not feel that that is a risk? I have been buying whole fryers and boiling them for my weiner and jack russell. I have always been afraid of giving bones, also. I just always was afraid that a fragment may rupture something inside.

Thanks for any imput.

JanUet
04-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I am so :relieved: that I give my pupperz Nature's Variety Raw Medallions.
Seems now, everyone is joining the Raw Food band wagon!
I don't blame them.

:thankyou: Nature's Variety :bow2: :bow: :bow1:

JanUet
04-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Nature's Variety Medallions are for cats too! Please check out this link.
www.naturesvariety.com

Patt
04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Seems now, everyone is joining the Raw Food band wagon.

NO, not everyone! :)

LexieLuvr
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
NO, not everyone! :)
I'm not quite ready for raw yet, either.

lotsadox
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I"m glad that I'm doing high quality kibble and raw. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Mommy2Molly
04-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh my word, I put so much thought into Molly's food and drove myself crazy with research. I thought I had found the perfect diet for my miss picky britches and was willing to pay big bucks if need be and now I'm just not so sure. All this dog food talk has me scared to death now. I had been using Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance and recently started her on the Reduced Calorie because my lil chunky monkey hit 17 1/2 lbs. She's doing great on it and LOVES it. Am I going to end up having to change this now and if so to what???

LUVMYGUNNER
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I think if you put any raw meat into the microwave for just a sew seconds it kills all the bad stuff. I was told that, when I worked for the Marriott Corp.

Michelle
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh my word, I put so much thought into Molly's food and drove myself crazy with research. I thought I had found the perfect diet for my miss picky britches and was willing to pay big bucks if need be and now I'm just not so sure. All this dog food talk has me scared to death now. I had been using Dick Van Patton's Natural Balance and recently started her on the Reduced Calorie because my lil chunky monkey hit 17 1/2 lbs. She's doing great on it and LOVES it. Am I going to end up having to change this now and if so to what???

Natural Balance is NOT on the bad list, their food is NOT made my Menu foods and you having nothing to worry about, this is a great high quality kibble. I also feed this to Heidi and PRincess along with Raw, I do half Kibble and half raw and have been doing this for some time with no problems.

LexieLuvr
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, I e-mailed my much-admired mentor (and former foster mom to both of mine) about Natural Balance, and she also advised me that N. B. is VERY good food, not on the recall list, and to not worry! (Mine are on the R.C. also, and their weight is very good.)

Mommy2Molly
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Oh thank god we're safe!
Thank you very much for easing my mind. We :hearts: our Natural Balance with frozen green beans and carrots (Molly's new choice of dinner meals).

Puppen
04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Ok, so here is a question for E1...How do we know for sure that this particular gluten isn't/hasn't been used by Other companies that aren't coming forward?? I don't want to scare anyone, but my personal feeling is that Anything is possible at this point. Oh and The Companies also claim that it isn't harmful to humans, Bah!!! IMO it's a bit late to be in Denile...These cooperations need to come forward and FIX it. I agree...I did raw for a while but was costing more to feed the girls than Us! But I am thinking that going to strictly raw would not be a bad thing...OR...using the dog recipes which sound a lot like people recipes...Heck maybe could cook for them and if it's tasty we could just eat it too LOL in the past my grandma had a dog that was almost 22 yrs old, Smokey, a lovely german shepherd...he lived on Nothing but table scraps.

LUVMYGUNNER
04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Well hopefully reading the indridients would tell if it was used.

Puppen
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I think that is part of the problem, the ingredient isn't exactly listed in that way. (unless I missread lables)???

catstamm
04-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Don't feed food that contains Wheat Gluton...problem solved.. for now!
Your Grandmas dog was VERY lucky...that doesn't mean all dogs could be so lucky.
There are also people that smoke 2 packs a day and drink a pint of whiskey...live to be 95 yrs old....
But most people with that lifestyle won't...and it's a fact that the odds are against.

Puppen
04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
no it definitely doesn't mean they would be. I read the ingredients on the 'Po and since I didn't see Wheat Gluten in there I was relieved. They love it and do really well on it so I guess I will just continue as I have been. :)