PDA

View Full Version : Jerky Recipe

areese
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Turkey or chicken jerky

About a pound or so of boneless breast of chicken or turkey sliced into jerky sized slices. Keep them thin….1/4 inch or less I get the Jennie-O turkey cutlets usually. If you freeze the meat and let it defrost a bit it's easier to cut into thin slices.
Now…I don’t measure a lot and it’s prob. not really important exactly how much but this is close..
2 TBS brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
½ tsp garlic powder (or use a couple cloves of fresh garlic, crushed)
1 tsp liquid smoke
Some water…1/2 cup or so? Enough to make it deep enough to marinate the meat in.
Mix ingredients together and marinate sliced meat in it for at least an hour…overnight is good.
Take meat out of marinade and shake off excess, use dehydrator until meat cracks when you bend it. Time varies according to the equipment.. don’t overlap meat on trays.
To use the oven, spray metal cooling racks with non-stick spray and place on cookie sheets. Put marinated meat on racks. Turn oven to about 200 degrees and prop door open about 2-3 inches. Put meat in oven. Takes 3-5 hours.

Salmon should work about the same but mine was a bit too crumbly the first time I made it. I’m going to slice it a bit thicker next time.

I also make ground turkey jerky. I mix a few TBS honey, some garlic powder, some liquid smoke and a TBS of pickling salt with a pound of ground turkey. I use the electric mixer to get it mushed up really good. Then I roll it between pieces of wax paper until it’s pretty flat and about ½-1/4 inch thick. Then I freeze it. When it is pretty hard, I take it out and cut it into strips with kitchen shears and use the dehydrator (or use oven like in directions above)

Otto'sMom
04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds good enough for human consumption.

areese
04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Sounds good enough for human consumption.

It IS. I eat it all the time.
If you want to make it for people only you can add some pepper and onion powder...makes it a little spicier.

Otto'sMom
04-01-2007, 07:10 PM
The odds of my making anything more complicated than peanut butter and jelly are slim, but if you find any extra feel free to send it instead of cookies.:duh:

Patt
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Yummm, sounds delish. Thanks for the recipe.

Chris
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
how do you know when it is "done" if you use the oven.

don't laugh at my question LOL. I made a chocolate pudding cake that was dry as a hockey puck, 1/2" on one end and 3" on the other...so i need very clear instructions!.

areese
04-01-2007, 09:00 PM
how do you know when it is "done" if you use the oven.

don't laugh at my question LOL. I made a chocolate pudding cake that was dry as a hockey puck, 1/2" on one end and 3" on the other...so i need very clear instructions!.
Same way as when you use the dehydrator...start checking the strips by bending them. If they just bend like rubber, it's not done. If they crack when you bend them, they are done. If you have some pieces that are thicker than others, they might take longer so take out the ones that are done and leave the others in until they crack when you bend the strip. There's no exact amount of time I can tell you...in the dehydrator I do the same thing...test them and rotate the trays and take some out and leave some in...

oceangirls
04-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I think I would have to buy the metal racks, LOL. Cookie sheets I have. This sounds delicious. I tried homemade jerky when someone brought some to work once. It was SO GOOD!!!! And the girls would love this! Thanks Amy!

dachiehome
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
thanks these sound great. the new law here is if moma dont make it the bubbas dont eat it. cathy