PDA

View Full Version : Munchausen by Doxie?

Otto'sMom
01-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Or is my Dachshund addicted to pain killers?

First it was Otto's diahrreah coinciding with Pokey's tummy woes. Now he's copying Sophie's back woes! :curse:

Otto was acting needier than normal at the dog park today, he'd been forced to bow to a larger dog and he looked over his shoulder at the dog while bowed, which I believe triggered another muscle strain. He wasn't acting painful when we got home. We get settled into the recliner (Dolly on one side, Grrrt on top of me and Otto on Dolly's butt, kinda pinned back there. He stood up and twisted his back and yelped in pain. I immediately set up the kennel for him to stay the night in, figuring he can wait to see the vet in the morning. I shower and go to bed, only for about 10 minutes, to hear him yelp in pain, 3 times when he tried to move in the carrier. That settles that, we're off to the Emergency Vet. I go upstairs to get dressed and when I come downstairs, he's up on the top of the sofa, like nothing's wrong!:confused:
I took him in anyway, I'd made up my mind. The vet checks him out and he stands up with his paws on my shoulder while she checks out his heart! Does all the reaction tests and he's fine. Runs her fingers up and down his spine several times with no indication of pain. :scratch: Sends us home with some pain killers and prednizone and crate rest for 10 days.
I swear he's doing this to get the pain killers. My dog would just go all Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb" on me.
He's resting nicely now. I have to get up in 5 hours to get to work:shocked:

Pokeys Mom
01-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Otto!!! Your poor mommie doesn't need a back scare or a drug addict! Here are some :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: that things clear up fast.

Hopefully crate rest and medication will clear things up nicely.

We picked up Marta from daycare just after she ate dinner. She gulped it down without chewing, then spazed out when she saw us. We had a long night of whole pieces of soggy kibble coming up as it didn't fit into her small intestine. I am missing our hardwood floors!

JanUet
01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Or is my Dachshund addicted to pain killers?

First it was Otto's diahrreah coinciding with Pokey's tummy woes. Now he's copying Sophie's back woes! :curse:

I can really sympathize with you! Sending Mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Otto and a :bighug: for you.

I got up last night to let Sophie out for a tinkle (it was 3am). While i was getting ready to go out. She peed on the floor and went back to bed. I was like.... :scratch: :shocked:
The smell of urine was so strong! I cleaned it up and sprayed some Green Apple smellin' Lysol on the floor, which sent Casey into a sneezing fit. I just said a little :pray: er to myself. Please don't let Casey have issues as well.

Otto'sMom
01-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I read somewhere not to use Lysol around pets, and I can't remember why.:scratch:
I'm sure Casey is OK, strong perfumed sprays give my pups sneezing fits too, and it made one of my cats barf so I stopped using aerosol sprays.

Otto made it through the night OK in the new and improved fortress of Ottotude. He still wants just to stay still, but when he's not thinking about it, he's running to get his breakfast.

Nancy
01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I read somewhere not to use Lysol around pets, and I can't remember why.:scratch:

Lysol contains amonia, which will "tempt" pooches to pee in the same spot.

I hope that Otto is better after some rest. Big hugs and lot's of :bigrayz: 's

lotsadox
01-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Sending lots of rayz for Otto :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you. Let's hope some time in the fortress of Ottotude will fix his back and no more pain killers will be needed. We don't need a drug addicted Otto on our hands. Poor thing, I can see him out on the street trying to trade treats for drugs! :shocked:

Otto'sMom
01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
He'd do that little "garden gnome" pose, where he plants his butt and sits up like a little statue, waving his short little arms at you and looking at you with his Rasputin Blue eye. Every body a the dog park falls for that one. He's as powerful as the Hypno Toad.:rotfl:

When Lucy stepped on him at Thanksgiving, we gave him his first dose of painkillers. Every time it started to wear off, he'd go to the cupboard where they were kept and just sit and wait. It's so sad but cute the way he goes to the kennel immediately as if he associates feeling better with being in there.

We're back on the drugs, and he seemed pain free this morning, but very cautious. Didn't want to take the 6 inch step into the house, or leave the kitchen rug. He settled into the fortress just fine, and I had to position Grrrt so she didn't climb all over him.

oceangirls
01-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Oh, darn it... this just isn't fair!!!! Sending rayz that it's just a muscle strain and will heal very soon... and that we don't have to set up a substance-abuse treatment intervention.:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Jen
01-10-2006, 10:46 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Otto!

Hope he doesn't need an intervention--sounds as though he's enjoying those pain meds!

Loren
01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
one of the reasons why we just have ONE!

Here are :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to go around!

Otto'sMom
01-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I was feeling pretty darn sorry for myself without Otto next to me, knowing he was downstairs and in pain. I was really comforted by Dolly, snuggling with me and absorbing my tears in her fur, and Austin even snuggling in Otto's spot made me feel better. I don't know what I'd do with just one.

Loren
01-11-2006, 09:14 AM
How is Otto today? :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

JanUet
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I was feeling pretty darn sorry for myself without Otto next to me, knowing he was downstairs and in pain. I was really comforted by Dolly, snuggling with me and absorbing my tears in her fur, and Austin even snuggling in Otto's spot made me feel better. I don't know what I'd do with just one.

Your a Brave Mommie! I still have Sophie sleeping with me. I had started her out in her crate (which is in my room) She just whined and whined. I had heard enough of her whining while I was trying to eating my dinner. So, I let her out to sleep with me. I placed a pee pee pad on the floor (she has never used them, since I had her) She woke me up to take her out at 3am ( I was prepared this time, i had my track suit on) I was ready to go and she used the pee pee pad!:banana: I praised her and loved her up:hearts: . No more sleeping in my track suit!!! :boogie:

How is Otto feeling this morning?

Mama S.
01-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Aurora is similiar - she has discovered that if she yelps - her Daddy immediately charges in like the lightening Brigade to see what's wrong! I tried to tell him that she's faking!!! Our guy s- what would we do without them?!
Sandi

Otto'sMom
01-11-2006, 01:27 PM
It's hard to say how he is. He just seems sad that he has to stay in his kennel. He has a darker stripe of hair down his back, and I've noticed that when something is wrong, his stripe stands up over his spine a little bit. This morning, his stripe was up, but he was running around and eating his food like nothing is wrong. He spent most of last night in the recliner with me, and then into his kennel. He's not in any pain, thanks to the pain meds. He didn't get to go to the park yesterday, and that was a big disappointment for him.