PDA

View Full Version : Duchie hernia surgery/dental

Rae
01-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Have finally decided to have Duchie's surgery, and it is scheduled for Monday the 16th, 8 am. The hernia is not bothering her nor is it changing or growing, but since my sister lost her mini Pom to illness stemming from poor dental hygiene, I don't want to take the risk of her getting an infection and ultimately facing the possibility of losing her due to not getting her dentals done. It has been long overdue, but I have been so worried about her overall health and the anesthesia on an older dog that I have put it off for too long.

So instead of geetting her dental done when we fix the hernia, I guess we are actually fixing the hernia while we get the dental done. Either way, I am a bit of a basket case.

SO- rayz for easy and successful surgery on Monday please, and I sure hope I am doing the right thing for my baby. She is so very happy and healthy these days, I am terrified that the anesthesia will not go well. I could not bear it if someting happened to her since I decided to have an elective procedure performed.

My sis losing Jessie so needlessly really opened my eyes to the importance of dental care, though.... Could not bear losing my baby to negligence.

AND we are down to a svelte 11.8 lbs thankyouverymuch. No less, and she could actually gain a few oz... it's just so hard to know what the exact right amount of food is...She always seems to be starving to death, but she is a dachsie and a mill rescue so I do not trust her to make food decisions based on her tummy rather than her greed!

Loren
01-10-2006, 12:17 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to YOU and Duchie! I'm sure it will all go WELL and she'll be back in your arms with sweet breath and no more hernia!

You're such a :hearts: Mom!

Rae
01-10-2006, 12:20 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to YOU and Duchie! I'm sure it will all go WELL and she'll be back in your arms with sweet breath and no more hernia!

You're such a :hearts: Mom!

the sweet breath would be a very very welcome change, Loren.. i know you know we refer to it as "landfill breath" when HRH is not listening... ugh. Thanks for the rays. major powerful mojo in those things!

JanUet
01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I hear ya Rae!
And because you informed us of the Dental issues realted to Jessie, God Bless you for that! :hearts: :hearts: We have decided to get Sophie's Dental done in February. We tried the Dental bones, the powder you place in their food, the liquid you put in their water and even medication perscribed by the Vet. It worked for a while and now I just hold my breath when she yawns!
It would have been done in January but because of her recent illness we have postponed it until February.
She will get the FULL Blood panel work done today along with expressing her Anal Glands and her Xrays.

Sending Little Duchie :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you!

Patt
01-10-2006, 12:26 PM
I know what you mean Rae, I have put off dentals because I was so worried and then they could end up with heart or other organ problems. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. She's had her blood work done, right? So I'm sure all will be okay, the vet wouldn't do the surgery if the numbers were not right.
Sending many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers to Duchie. :hearts:

squirrel818
01-10-2006, 01:11 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: For HRH Dutchie! I am sure she will do just fine!

Jen
01-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Duchie and :bighug: for her worried momma! Tasha goes in for her annual exam soon, and I have a feeling this may be the year for the dental too. Breath is bad but not horrible, but there's a lot of tartar, even with brushing and all those flossies!

jenfer
01-10-2006, 01:19 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for both you and Duchie!!!

I have also thought about doing something with Gigi's teeth.

Courtney
01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I am in the exact same boat Rae. Napoleon is going in Friday to have baby teeth (top canines) pulled. They won't come out, and they cause buildup which is just nasty. Yes, it is an elective procedure, but also it is sort of necessary. Either way I'm terrified.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you and your baby.

Rae
01-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I know what you mean Rae, I have put off dentals because I was so worried and then they could end up with heart or other organ problems. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. She's had her blood work done, right? So I'm sure all will be okay, the vet wouldn't do the surgery if the numbers were not right.
Sending many :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :pray:ers to Duchie. :hearts:

He did bloodwork in June and will do it again Monday before he does the surgery to be sure she is at optimum health before he preps her. If it is not right he won't do it.

thanks for the reminder for those who are reading and might not know to always have the bloodwork done. I am a firm believer in EVERY time.

lotsadox
01-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Sending rayz for HRH :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her surgery and :bighug: for you. I think I told you that I was very worried when Amanda needed to have surgery to remove a cancerous growth at 13. She came through just fine. It's such a worry though.

Rae
01-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I am in the exact same boat Rae. Napoleon is going in Friday to have baby teeth (top canines) pulled. They won't come out, and they cause buildup which is just nasty. Yes, it is an elective procedure, but also it is sort of necessary. Either way I'm terrified.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you and your baby.

and :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: right back at you.

I guess if we were not such worrywarts we would not be such good mommas, huh? I happen to know that Po is the light of your life as HRH Duchie is mine, and it's just hard to knwo what is the absolute best thing for them sometimes.

No matter what, I think we both know we are doing the best we can for our beloved furkids.

Rae
01-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Sending rayz for HRH :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for her surgery and :bighug: for you. I think I told you that I was very worried when Amanda needed to have surgery to remove a cancerous growth at 13. She came through just fine. It's such a worry though.

I remember when we were talking about this before that Amanda was pretty .... mature when she had her growth. Duchie is in better overall health than she has ever been, so I think that is in her favor. She is strong and frisky and spunky.... so hopefully she will have an easy time of it. Anesthesia just worries me in general.

thanks for hte reminder about Amanda.

Pokeys Mom
01-10-2006, 01:45 PM
:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: for HRH Dutchie! and a :bighug: for mom!!

I was in a similar position last year. Pokey had a dental at age 12. Due to his heart condition, his vet suggested to have one done every year with the possibility of a six month interim.

Our vet was used to working on seniors and explained how Pokey would be monitered through the whole process. They even woke him up a bit early due to his body temperature lowering. I know with a hernia they can't do that. However, they can work on the hernia first and foremost.

I got the feeling that it is less risky now then it was a few years ago with the right screening techniques and OR equipment. Plus, it was more of a risk to let his teeth go uncleaned.

He is due for another dental soon. Given the green light, I would not hesitate to have it done again -although I would still be a nervous nelly.

Keep us updated on every little thing and know that we are all sending :bigrayz: for Dutchie!!

mydachsies
01-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I hear that!Calvin's breath is the landfill :yuck: !Chloe is not to bad but she does have some tartar.They will have their dental done in February too.I will make sure they have their bloodwork done.Sending :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a great outcome.

doxyzoo
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Lots of :bigrayz: for Duchie and even more :bigrayz: for Rae. All will go well and she will be so much happier and healthier.

Ellen

Nancy
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: 's for your baby! I'm sure Duchie is going to be just fine when all is said and done! Please keep us posted!

I didnt realize how important dental care was until I started to look for a Doxie to adopt! A lot of the pooches description said they need teeth removed, had some teeth removed or had no teeth AT ALL!! So now every Wednesday night Molly gets her teeth brushed, ears cleaned and a nice treat after!

Lisa
01-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Rayz for Rae :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and of course for our beautiful little HRH :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Make sure you keep us posted how she is doing.

quavec
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Please keep us posted as her date gets closer! Here are some :bigrayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: headed her way!

oceangirls
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
lots of rayz for our Duchie sweetie and her hoomom:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: . I think it's good that you're doing this; I would do the same. These little guys handle these procedures better than we do :) I am guessing this is the same vet she has always had, so they know about her medical condition with the clot in the spinal cord (I forget exactly what you said that was) and will be monitoring closely.

Irminsul
01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Just wanted to add my :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to the mix!

Your Christmas card was so pretty! Thanks!

Hope Dutchie will be just fine!!!

lotsadox
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm a big believer in having the blood work done, too. The only reason I could go ahead with Amanda's cancer surgery without being a total basket case was that the vet said her blood work looked excellent.

Rae
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to add my :bigrayz: :bigrayz: to the mix!

Your Christmas card was so pretty! Thanks!

Hope Dutchie will be just fine!!!
YAY Katja -- was going to email you and let you know, I just scheduled this yesterday. It would be a shame after all she has been through to get bad sick or worse due to dental hygiene. thanks for the rayz- they are way powerful!

How was Germany? Glad to see those wire wonders when you got back I bet.. did you bring any puppers back from mom's?

HotDogMama
01-11-2006, 03:24 PM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Duchie and Mama!! I'm sure she will do great!!!! :hug99:

Frzframe
01-12-2006, 11:24 AM
But both of mine are a tad bit younger then your Miss Duchie. It's always nerve wracking when one of our babies has to go though something like this. Many :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :rayz: 's on their way for both of you.

Mama S.
01-12-2006, 04:00 PM
We've been through hernia fix and pulling baby canines with Hershey. I was concerned that his adult canines were decaying due to the puppy ones being so close they were touching. Was really bizarre taking him in with an outie and bringing him home with an innie!!
Will keep our girl in my thoughts and wait for an update on Monday!
Sandi

Pokeys Mom
01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Dutchie and Rae, just letting you know we have fingers and paws crossed for your big day on Monday.

Sending healing mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and :bighug: your way.

:heartsign :pray1:

oceangirls
01-15-2006, 11:02 PM
sending pre-op rayz!!:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: We'll be thinking of you both!:hearts:

Anatresia
01-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Just saw this- here's some rayz:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

Linus
01-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Lots of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you tomorrow!

lotsadox
01-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Sending rayz for Duchie :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and a :bighug: for you, Rae!

Loren
01-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Oh many many mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for all of you. I'm sure it will be just fine. Keep us posted!

Lisa
01-16-2006, 06:46 AM
We will be thinking about Duchie and sending lots of rayz her way today! Let us know how she's doing Rae.

:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

HotDogMama
01-16-2006, 07:15 AM
:bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: Big rayz for the RH....... and :bighug: for mom. Hang in there!!

JanUet
01-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Sending Mega tons of :bigrayz: :bigrayz: today for Our Royal Highness Duchie.:hearts:
and a :bighug: for Mommie
Please keep us posted Rae

Jen
01-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Mega :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Duchie today! We'll be eagerly awaiting an update!! :bighug:

Mama S.
01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Sitting back waiting on an update! MEGA :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for HRH that all goes well and soon she is back in your loving arms!
sandi

Rae
01-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Just called the vet- Darlene (Dr Chuck's wife) said they just now got finished, so her bloodwork was OK or he never would have operated. Still waiting for her to wake up, so I will call back a bit later and then likely run down there to see her this afternoon. Dr Chuck is rather adamant about keeping her overnight so we may tie up on that one... but this morning we talked about all her past surgeries before she found her forever home with me, and he said he would probably have to remove all the metal stitches and staples in her belly and re-stitch her. Seems those metal ones work loose after a while (ugh) and that makes her more likely to re-herniate in other spots.

I think Dr Chuck wants her to stay so he can monitor her pain level and medicate her if he needs to. Poor baby- she was shaking like a leaf this morning and looking at me with those big brown eyes full of love... so of course thanks to my DLC fam for the rayz and please keep :AngelPray: for my baby girl. I am still quite the basket case.

Will keep you posted when I know more.

lotsadox
01-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Hang in there, Rae. It sounds like she's through the worst. Of course, the worst for you will be not having her with you tonight, but if it's what's best for her . . . I'll keep you and HRH in my prayers.

Frzframe
01-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Here are some mega pain free :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :rayz: :rayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:'s

Patt
01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Sending more :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: to Duchie and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Is someone at the clinic at night to watch her?

JanUet
01-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Sounds like the worst is over for Duchie. Sending a ton more of those magical :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for you and Duchie.

Sending you tons of :love5: and many :hug99:'s to help ease you thru your lonely night.

Rae
01-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Sending more :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: to Duchie and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Is someone at the clinic at night to watch her?

My thoughts exactly, Patt!

If not she will come home with me and go in for a check up first thing in the morning.

jenfer
01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Sending more :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Duchie!!!

Patt
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
If not she will come home with me and go in for a check up first thing in the morning.Wise choice! Or spend the night at an E-Clinic.

Rae
01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Wise choice! Or spend the night at an E-Clinic.

:rotfl:

Oh Patt you have gotten spoiled by living in a real city/town. There is ONE vet in our town here but he diagnosed Duchie's hernia as being a cyst (fresh out of school, am sure he will be really good someday) and I went with the ONE vet in the next town who has been a vet for 20 years plus... a 20 minute drive one way.

The closest E-vet is in Nashville TN - a 2 hour drive.

Have not been exaggerating that Redneck thing... we live in the sticks on 180 acres and can wander almost our entire property (nekkid if we want to) without seeing another soul.

Thank you for the suggestion- I really wish we had more animal care options in our area, and I am thankful we have Dr Chuck...

Rae
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
HRH is waking up and groggy. Dr Black is gone to lunch (how dare he when my baby is there!??!) and will call me when he gets back to give me more details

lotsadox
01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
HRH will probably be incensed that you actually put in print the she was groggy! How undignified! :hula1:

At least you only have to drive 20 minutes to get to the next town and another vet. With Houston's traffic it takes me 35-45 minutes to get to my vet who is about 10 miles from my house!

Rae
01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
EEEEEK Patrice you are right. HRH is "resting comfortably" rather than stone drunk on paid meds and anesthesia... what was I thinking!?!?! I tell you the bleach has started eating my brain...

I guess Dr Chuck is having a busy day as he has not called back yet.. sorry about his luck as I will just keep calling until I hear what he has to say...

Rae
01-16-2006, 05:57 PM
update for the day... Dr Chuck called and said she is doing just fine. Had to pull one tooth and she also had another one broken off at the gumline that he extracted as well.

Said whoever sticthed her belly up inside ought to be shot. He cut her open all way up and down and removed all that mess and fixed her right so she will have much less chance of another hernia.

her anals were full and he threw in a butt squeezing at no charge.

She is still fairly.... (Patrice) "restful" at this point and he is giving her Rimadyl for pain and Plavimox to ward off any chance of infection from the surgery or the teeth cleaning.

Says she is doing perfectly fine and I can pick her up anytime tomorrow....

I am so glad she is doing well. Have been standing on my head most of the day and quite worthless.

I have a presentation to all the fourth grade classes in our school tomorrow at 9 (newspaper in education) and then am probably going to take off from there and go get her and spend the rest of the day nurse-maiding...

thanks to every one for your love and concern, and i will of course give you an update on HRH before I bow out of here tomorrow.

HotDogMama
01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Glad to hear it...... here are some :rayz: :rayz::rayz: for a good nights sleep!!!!!!! Thanks for updating so quickly!

Frzframe
01-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Poor baby but in the long run she'll be much better off without all that "stuff" holding her together.

Give her snuggles from Ruby Roo and me. :)

Jen
01-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Wow, HRH may take a little extra time to recover from all that but I'm sure she'll be happier without all that stuff inside her. :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a restful night for you and HRH!

Yolanda
01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Wonderful update on HRH.

Rae
01-16-2006, 06:28 PM
I just feel like my baby has been held together with Bondo, duct tape and baling wire. She is not a derby car for pete's sake!

hopefully this will save her troubles on down the road.

And I think we all know she will get plenty of pampering. :hearts:

Pokeys Mom
01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I just feel like my baby has been held together with Bondo, duct tape and baling wire. She is not a derby car for pete's sake!

hopefully this will save her troubles on down the road.

And I think we all know she will get plenty of pampering. :hearts: I sent you a PM. In a way she was held together like that, just in a water-proof kind of way. Just plain horrible. When all is quiet and calm, maybe post an update to "Dutchie's Story," so it is all in one place for others to learn and help prevent.

I'm glad she will get lots of TLC! :hearts: When she is fully recovered, hopefully she will feel like a whole new Dutchess!

:rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: :rayz:

Linus
01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Glad to hear HRH is resting comfortably! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for a speedy recovery without pain!

Patt
01-16-2006, 08:21 PM
:rotfl:

Have not been exaggerating that Redneck thing... we live in the sticks on 180 acres and can wander almost our entire property (nekkid if we want to) without seeing another soul.
Well, I would definitely rather be living in the sticks!
Sending more healing :rayz: :rayz: :rayz: to Duchie and lots of :hug99:s and :kiss: :kiss: too.

Loren
01-17-2006, 07:03 AM
I'm glad she is home safe and sound being spoiled like HRH should be. Here are some added rays for her and you of course.! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz:

JanUet
01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
update for the day... Dr Chuck called and said she is doing just fine. Had to pull one tooth and she also had another one broken off at the gumline that he extracted as well.

Said whoever sticthed her belly up inside ought to be shot. He cut her open all way up and down and removed all that mess and fixed her right so she will have much less chance of another hernia.

WHOA!:shocked:

HRH is a Real Fighter isn't she! :hearts:
Dr. Chuck Is the Greatest for fixin' someone else's blunder:rowofhts:

Sending More of those Powerful DLC :bigrayz: :bigrayz: and anxiously waiting for the Update.