View Full Version : Instant Hot Chocolate

04-10-2007, 09:52 PM
sorry been so long but i have a question. I had 1 cup of hot cocoa the instant kind. i used 2 packets of the mix and only drank a little bit of it, there was probably about 6 oz of liquid left in the cup and it had sat for about 4 hours and you know how the stuff settles to the bottom. anyway, puppen drank most of it but not the slurry near the bottom before i caught her. Do you think it was enough to be dangerous or did the worst of it settle to the bottom? I read that it takes about a average of 250mg of the Theobroma to really be dangerous to a 20lb doxie, puppen is around 6-10lbs. it said that Hot chocolate had 13 mg/oz if that means PER liquid oz....that would mean about 78mg. Is this correct then this could be a problem?? thanks!!!
Ren and Puppen

04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I don't think it will be a problem, the instant stuff is usually more sugar and milk solids than cocoa powder... as you noted there probably isn't going to be much theobromine. Did it just happen? If it's within an hour you could induce vomiting, although it's safest to get a vet's okay before doing that. I'd probably just keep a close eye on her.

04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
It's been a couple of hours. she doesn't seem more hyper than usual, with her it's hard to tell since she is so active most of the time. Were we live the store is already closed and any others are a hour away. our vet is more of a cow and horse treater, though he treats smaller animals it would be highly doubtful to contact him tonight since livestock birthing has started here.
I just need some reassurance that it wasn't enough to freak out over.

04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, I would always say to go with your instinct... but I've known a LOT of dogs to sneak cocoa with no problems. My Tristan accidentally got chocolate ice cream, and also a piece of chocolate. And my cocker spaniel ate my entire bag of Halloween candy with no ill effects at all. It's my understanding that not all dogs have the reaction. I think we just read a lot about dogs, so we hear about the rare serious reactions.

My girls got a hold of some vitamins from a guest's purse and I ended up inducing vomiting, taking them to the e-vet, spending $150, giving them activated charcoal which caused them to vomit black stuff all over the house all night. I don't think the vitamins hurt them one bit - all the damage was from me and the e-vet :lol:

If she seems fine, I would probably just keep an eye on her :)

04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you SO much for reassurance. :hug99: I'm watching her like a hawk I get so touchy and upset when I think of even the Slightest possibility of losing her. :pout: she is actually laying here in the chair beside me sort of 1/2 napping. I hope that is a GOOD sign :confused: it has been a couple of hours since the incident.
17 years ago when I had just gotten Sukie :angel7: She ate about 20 mini chocolate bars and various other delights from Halloween haul also. LOL no ill effects at all either, I watched her like a hawk at the time also.
With puppen being small and light it really freaked me out when the possible dangers of chocolate hit me full force. I can feel her little heartbeat aginst my leg and I don't THINK it's faster than normal. one site said that 17 1/2 hours was only a Half Way mark when dealing with the "chocolate threat" Is that true as well???? I don't have a problem staying up all night to keep watch, I'm really wondering if I should? it will have been 4 hours since the incident when bedtime arrives.

04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Since it's been a few hours she is probably okay... Just keep your vets number handy just in case. I don't know about the 17-1/2 hours, wonder where they came up with that figure. :scratch:

If you want place a call to poison control and see what they have to say 800-213-6680. There is a fee.

04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks tons, It's just so hard to tell with puppen, she is rather hyper when awake and we Did nap a lot today since I have a cold and haven't been sleeping well at night. Also, I wonder why these sort of things Always seem to happen at night!?! Maybe there is some unwritten code, all questionable bad things have to happen at night. Hmmm LOL

04-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Glad to hear Puppen seems to be ok! :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: just in case!

04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
:hug99: Thanks Tanya! I feel like a wreck, trying to relax and act normal when inside I'm shaking and scared :pray: So far so good I think though, she did have a hyper moment and got the speedies, then went outside and had more speedies. But at the same time Emmy had the speedies Also, doesn't help matters that the wind is blowing a million mph here either so that is Also making them nervous and hyper. :rolleyes:

04-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I know that no chocolate is good for dogs but it is the DARK chocolate that really will can kill them. Your puppers might have a tummy ache but if he does you can give him 1/4 of a pepsid ac and that will help. ( my vet told me to do that when Dobby had a tummy ache.

04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the advice. :) it's been about 4 hours now and so far so good, she did have her dry dinner about 3 1/2 hrs ago, drank water, played and now she is sleeping on my lap under the blanket normally, no rapid pulse that I notice or anything else un usual or alarming. Nose is nice, moist and cold. I sure hope that after this amount of time that it means all is going to be well!

04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey Ren, how is Puppen today?

04-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey Quavec, well she seems to be doing just fine. She slept all night, and I finally went to sleep around 1am but was quite a restless sleep. :faint: she got up this morning, went out, ate breakfast, played and is now laying on the heater vent since it's still chilly here. It seems like every thing I have read says something different so I am still trying to figure out just What the worry amount of time should be...Anyone have Any clue??? :confused:

04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I would think that if she's eating and drinking and pottying normally today she's probably ok. But I'm not 100% sure so perhaps someone with more experience with this kind of thing will chime in.

Nice to see you back Ren! Sending a few :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: :bigrayz: for Puppen, just in case.

04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
So far she seems to be doing the "normal" routine. never reallly know what is going to be a "normal" day for her. :duh:

04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I think you can quit worrying now - I really believe she's going to be okay, as long as everything (eating, drinking, pooping, etc.) seem to be normal. And yes, it seems most dire things happen at night or on the weekends, when vets are difficult to call! LOVE her name, BTW - Puppen - that's really cute!! Pictures, please?

04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi Lexie, that's what I think too, and she did poop normal recently :cheer2: And her usual Begging me to share breakfast. hehehe
She has pics posted in Hot Dog :) And if you click the link below to Dogster there are lots of pics of her :)

04-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Cute pics! Love the blurry one, where she's really movin'!!! Adorable furkid.

04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Well it has just reached that so called "17 hour mark" and she is still acting fine and has peed a couple of times and pooed once. both appeared to be normal functions. I put her shirt on and took her for a ride to the grocery with me, bought a bag of Alpo Prime Cuts dry food...and am now stressing over it and the whole recall thing. :mad4: Just can't win!!!!

04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
There are a number of web sites that give suggestions on how to choose a healthy dog food - Alpo is not one of the best. dogaware.com is one, and there are others on this forum. Glad Puppen is doing fine after the hot chocolate scare!!

04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
:cheer2: Almost to the 21 hr mark and no changes to report! Thank Goodness! Thank you all for your support!!

04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Great news!!:cheer2:
I know how scary it is when something is wrong or we are worried about the pups!
Just went through 3 weeks of this...Glad to hear everything seems okay!!

04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks! I am so sorry you have gone through bad things too! I hope all is well now or getting better?!

04-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Quick update, 27 1/2 hrs and all's well :) no more worries I don't think and we are going to try to get a good nights sleep!!

04-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear Puppen and mommy are doing well. :hug99: :hug99:

04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
:hug99: We are thanks! She knows how relieved I am, today she has been giving tons of kisses and cuddles :hearts: but also weather is changing and it's getting cold, supposed to have a blizzard tonight and tomorrow :( I Want Spring!!