PDA

View Full Version : Natural Balance this time...

Linus
04-15-2007, 09:35 PM
You can read for yourself. This is unrelated to the previous recalls, but take it seriously.

I fed Bailey the venison and rice formula last Saturday and he wasn't right in the tummy again until Tuesday (didn't eat more than 1/2 cup total, I put him on I/D after the first day of vomiting).

NB Venison and Rice (http://www.itchmo. com/read/ natural-balance- pulling-venison- dry-dog-formula_ 20070415 <http://www.itchmo. com/read/ natural-balance- pulling-venison- dry-dog-formula_ 20070415>)

See all latest news, recalls, entertainment, and local info.
« WP on Why a Pet Food Recall Has Troubled So ManyBREAKING NEWS: Natural Balance Pulling Venison Formulas
Itchmo has confirmed an email from Natural Balance that they are removing two products from sale:

Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
Venison and Green Pea Dry Dog Cat Formula
These products do not contain wheat gluten. No deaths or serious illnesses have been reported and no recall warning has been issued. The warning applies only to products sold in the last week, according to Natural Balance.

Please know that at this time we are removing this product from the shelves, as we have had some phone calls indicating gastric upset after eating this formula. At this time, we are unsure if this could just be a particular batch problem, or simply customers switching diets too fast. However, in the meantime while we are looking further into this matter, we are not recommending to feed this formula, and are suggesting to feed our Potato and Duck or Sweet Potato and Fish Dry Dog Formula.

Teddysmom
04-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey Lins...something wrong with the link? I clicked on it and it came up as an error message.

Otto'sMom
04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I couldn't even see a link:duh: I did go and look it up on the comparison website, and they gave it 4 stars and recommended it. The only bad thing was the rice outweighing the meat. What gives?

Frzframe
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Here's the link I got in an email.
http://www.itchmo.com/read/natural-balance-pulling-venison-dry-dog-formula_20070415

Frzframe
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I think if anyone has any questions they should call NB on Monday to see whats going on.

Linus
04-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Couldn't fix the link, but I copied and pasted what it said.

Tex
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info.! Man, it's hard to keep up with all the food-issues these days......:rolleyes:

Otto'sMom
04-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Venison and Green Pea Dry Dog Cat Formula?

Is it made of Dogs for cats, or made of Cats for dogs?:scratch:

Cripes, nothing is safe these days.

quavec
04-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Lins! I feed the NB regular formula - no venison but I'll be keeping an ear/eye out for any upsets with Cricket or anymore news on the recall.

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
I bet there are a lot more voluntary recalls but since they are well published we just don't hear about them. I'd like to see an official statement from NB before I decide anything.

LexieLuvr
04-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, man - not Natural Balance! I feed mine the Reduced Calorie - got a new bag Saturday, so far, so good! This is too scary!!!

Linus
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Don't panic, guys. As far as I've read its just been gastric upset from eating it. No deaths, no long term illnesses.

All the reports were from people who had bought a bag in the last week. I bought the bag that Bailey ate from the day before Easter and he got sick that night. He is absolutely fine now.

It could have just been a bad deer.

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering if it's being caused by a sudden change in diet for some pups. :scratch: And of course people are going to be worried about the slightest of things with their pups right now. Heck mine have some virus going around that is causing tummy upset so I wonder if that could be part of it??

quavec
04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I just checked their site and they haven't listed anything about a recall on their food. Just info about them not being affiliated with the FDA/Menufoods recall.

It is something to keep informed on though. I went to the FDA site and read through some other recalls - some that I had no clue about! :shocked:

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/ has the now posted on it:

NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves. Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED.

quavec
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks Shonda! They must have JUST updated that! I'll have to keep a vigilant eye on Cricket. I bought a new bag for him last weekend, but it was the regular formula. I clicked the link but still can't find what you posted????? Just the home page for NB.

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
You might need to refresh your browser. To have it show up. :scratch:

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
What I don't get is that it doesn't have any wheat in it???? :confused:

oceangirls
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
What I don't get is that it doesn't have any wheat in it???? :confused:

This could be an isolated incident... and have nothing to do with the mass recall.

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
This could be an isolated incident... and have nothing to do with the mass recall.

I sure hope so. Mine gang are just on the reg NB and Charile and Pumpkin are on the reduced calorie so we'll be keeping a close watch on them.

oceangirls
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Mom feeds her cocker the regular NB too, although she was thinking about switching to Chicken Soup (we were reading the reviews from Whole Dog Journal and www.dogfoodanalysis.com last night over the phone).

Frzframe
04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Mom feeds her cocker the regular NB too, although she was thinking about switching to Chicken Soup (we were reading the reviews from Whole Dog Journal and www.dogfoodanalysis.com last night over the phone).

I was thinking about changing over to that because I can buy it locally. But, then again I wouldn't get my 11 bag free like I do with PetCo. :(

Patt
04-16-2007, 09:25 PM
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company. This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

Statement
April 16, 2007
Media Inquiries:
301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

Information on Natural Balance

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) was informed today, April 16, 2007, that Natural Balance Pet Foods has received consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. The company does not know the cause of the problems, but has received reports of animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the company is stating that the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, the company is pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

The company is advising consumers to discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

The FDA is working closely with Natural Balance and is actively investigating this problem. There is no indication at this time whether this is related to the ongoing pet food recalls. For more information, please see: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

JuneyTrixie
04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
One other thing to note is that Venison (as well as rabbit) is very rich. If people have been quickly switching over to Venison from other recalled foods, then the Venison might have been way too rich for their dogs, especially if they had formally been on poor quality foods before.

Courtney
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
There is a local rescue group that feeds their dogs this. Their dogs are in kidney failure - so it is not just stomach upset!

Frzframe
04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Okay so how long would it take for symptoms to start if a dog ate some bad food? Would it be right away, a few days or weeks??

Patt
04-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Good question Shonda. I would guess it would depend on the health of the pet. Some would go down quickly and others it would take time to build up. :scratch: I hope they get this under control soon.

Jacqueline
04-17-2007, 05:01 AM
It is on the news this morning (Tuesday, 5 a.m.) that they are recalling it. Just the venison.

I am going to town to get Merrick's dry for the kids. We are almost out of food. After looking at all the ingredients, I am getting the Turduck. I need to do it now for a mixed switch. I only hope to God that that one is going to be okay.

Linus
04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I got an e-mail last night saying it was because the fat content in the venison was too high.

Like I said, bailey ate in over a week ago and is FINE. No kidney issues, nothing. He is eating the NB Sweet Potato and Fish now and loves it.

oceangirls
04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
I got an e-mail last night saying it was because the fat content in the venison was too high.

I can see that causing gastric upset (or even pancreatitis), but I will be interested to see how they relate increased fat to kidney failure :scratch:

Alex's Mom
04-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I can see that causing gastric upset (or even pancreatitis), but I will be interested to see how they relate increased fat to kidney failure :scratch:
My vet and I were discussing this whole food thing, and her comment was that she wonders how much of a role heightened awareness of kidney issues in general is playing in the increased numbers of kidney problems being brought into vets, and how much of it is actually attributable to the food? I was wondering the same thing....:scratch:

Patt
04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Melamine found in Natural Balance
Admin | April 17, 2007 2:07 pm
From the
USA Today website:

Premium pet food company recalls dry foods
By Julie Schmit, USA TODAY

Natural Balance Pet Foods said Tuesday it found melamine in two of its pet food products, which the company has recalled.

Melamine is the chemical suspected of causing pet deaths and illnesses related to the Menu Foods recall, covering more than 60 million cans and pouches of wet dog and cat food from dozens of brands the past four weeks.

But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the product," he says.

The concentrate is now being tested, he added. Melamine was detected in samples of the food. The recalled foods are: Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods.

Whether other pet food makers got the same rice protein concentrate is unclear at this time. Herrick says the food was made for Natural Balance by Diamond Pet Foods.

Diamond Pet Food makes no other food that includes rice protein concentrate, spokesman Jim Fallon says.

Herrick also said Diamond got the rice protein concentrate from an American company, which he wouldn't name. The melamine in the Menu Foods recall was in wheat gluten imported from China.

The company has recalled all dates of the two products, although Herrick says it has only received complaints for food made March 28.

Herrick says Natural Balance, a premium pet food maker based in California, started getting calls Thursday from consumers reporting that dogs were vomiting. By Friday, the company had received calls from seven households regarding 11 dogs, Herrick said. The company also says it has received reports of animals suffering kidney problems, which has also occurred in the Menu recall.

The consumer calls set off alarms because "we don't get that," Herrick said.

The company has also received reports involving three or four cats, he said.

Natural sent out the food Friday to be tested for the usual things that would cause animals to vomit, such as pesticides and heavy metals, Herrick says.

No animals had yet died but that the company had reports that some were hospitalized, he said.

Melamine is not allowed in human or pet food. It is an industrial chemical used in plastics making in the USA and as a fertilizer in Asia, the Food and Drug Administration says. While melamine is not highly toxic, the FDA is investigating whether it, or something related to it, is responsible for pet deaths in the Menu recall.

Patt
04-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company. This listserv covers mainly Class I (life-threatening) recalls. A complete listing of recalls can be found in the FDA Enforcement Report at: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/Enforce.html

T.W. Enterprises Issues Nationwide Recall of Dog Chews Due to Salmonella Contamination
T.W. Enterprises
(360) 366-0408

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Ferndale, WA -- April 16, 2007 -- T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, WA today alerted consumers that it is recalling certain dog chews it markets because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. Samples tested by FDA of the product indicate that the dog chew products manufactured by T.W. Enterprises may be contaminated. People handling these treats can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the chews or any surfaces exposed to these products.

Salmonella can potentially be transferred to people handling these pet treats, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Well animals can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

The following is a list of the recalled products (Product Name/ A.B. Dog Chew - Size / UPC):

A.B. Small Chew, 3 - 4 inch / 833234001105
A. B. Puppy Chew, 4 - 6 inch / 83323401112
A.B. Dog Chew Medium, 6 inch / 833234001051
A.B. Dog Chew Large, 10 inch / 833234001068
A. B. Dog Chew XL, 13 inch / 833234001075
A. B. Dog Chew Mega, 16 inch / 833234001082
A. B. Dog Chew Jumbo, 26 inch / 833234001099
T.W. Enterprises Inc. manufactured these dog chews and distributed them throughout the United States under its name. The affected products were distributed before March 22, 2007 to retail locations and are non-coded, i.e. they have no batch code or other identifying marks. T.W. Enterprises has made contact with all of its consignees and has been informed the affected product has been pulled from store shelves.

T.W. Enterprises has informed FDA of its action and is fully cooperating with the agency. The firm, FDA and other authorities are actively investigating this matter to determine the source of this problem, and will take any additional steps necessary to protect the public health. No reports of illness to date in connection with this problem.

Consumers who have the non-coded pet chews should not feed them to their pets, but should dispose of them in a safe manner (e.g., in a securely covered trash receptacle). Anyone who is experiencing the symptoms of Salmonella infection after having handled one of these pet products should seek medical attention, and report their use of the product and illness to the nearest FDA office.

People should thoroughly wash their hands after handling any pet treat – especially those made from animal protein such as meat -- to help prevent infection. People may risk bacterial infection not only by handling the chews, but by contact with pets or surfaces exposed to the chews, so it is important that they thoroughly wash their hands with hot water and soap.

Since elderly people, young children, and people with weakened immune systems are particularly at risk from exposure they should avoid handling these products.

Consumers with questions may contact T.W. Enterprises at 1-360-366-0408.