PDA

View Full Version : Melamine found in Natural Balance

Courtney
04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm?POE=click-refer

LexieLuvr
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Yep - another! Natural Balance is very disappointing - my guys LIKE that stuff! (Not the purported variety containing melamine, fortunately!)

quavec
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
so it was found in the rice protein - that makes me wonder if the type I feed to Cricket has rice protein in it. Heading to the site now. This is nuts.

Courtney, you might be getting some PMs from me on RAW feeding before too long ***sigh***

Just checked the ingredients in their original formula and the only rice product is brown rice. The venison version has brown rice, rice protein and rice bran and ground rice.

Frzframe
04-17-2007, 08:05 PM
The article said those were the only two products that use this rice protein. I'm running low on NB and can't get to Lawrence to buy new so I'm switching my gang over (for now) to Chicken Soup. It's not the best food out there but so far no recall on any of it.

I would feed raw but I don't have the time. Heck I feel bad enough having my mom run over to let everyone out and feed them I can't ask her to get into the middle of a raw feeding frenzy. And it would be at my house for sure!!

quavec
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey Shonda - just as a precaution, check the ingredients on the CS to see if they have rice protein in it. Just to be safe, ya know?

lotsadox
04-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Good idea, Carrol. If you go the easy route (which I know some people don't consider the correct way to raw feed) and do the Nature's Variety Medallions it isn't that complicated. They even thaw fairly easily if you forget to get them out the night before. :hula1:

Frzframe
04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Good idea, Carrol. If you go the easy route (which I know some people don't consider the correct way to raw feed) and do the Nature's Variety Medallions it isn't that complicated. They even thaw fairly easily if you forget to get them out the night before. :hula1:

I've thought about these but I'd still run into the problem of having to go out of town to get them. :(

Frzframe
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Shonda - just as a precaution, check the ingredients on the CS to see if they have rice protein in it. Just to be safe, ya know?

Yep, I've looking on their site tonight and they are good to go without having and of the rice protein in it. :)

quavec
04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Yep, I've looking on their site tonight and they are good to go without having and of the rice protein in it. :)

Good! That's why I'm sticking to NB original - for now. Cricket has been a week into the new bag and he's fine.

Jacqueline
04-18-2007, 12:48 AM
How about whole brown rice? Merrick has that in it's Turduck kibble, which is where I am looking.

Da Brat
04-18-2007, 10:34 AM
It seems that just about every food company is having some sort of recall here lately... Does anyone know of a good quality food for cats and where to buy it?! I recently visited our new Petco and looked for the Wellness stuff mentioned here, but I couldn't find any.. Raw is out of the question for us, we barely eat "natural" food ourselves... Just about everything we eat is pre-made and all we do is heat it up.. :rolleyes:
As previously mentioned my guys are on Nutro Max and do well on it, but I'm wondering if I can find a better quality food.

Courtney
04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Solid Gold is a good food, and I'm pretty sure Petco sells it. Look into that.

Da Brat
04-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Solid Gold is a good food, and I'm pretty sure Petco sells it. Look into that.

Ok, I will!! Thanks!!

Courtney
04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Also, someone posted on a local email list of mine today and said she had researched which brands did not import ingredients and she found that Canidae (also Felidae for cats) and Eagle Pack used all U.S. ingredients.

Eagle Pack retailers, looks like you can buy online as well: http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/EP_WhereToBuy.html

Canidae/Felidae: http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Edit: Have you been to/heard of Peachtree Natural Foods? Looks like they have two locations in Columbus.

5435 Woodruff Farm Rd, Ste B100
Columbus, GA 31907
706 565-9245

2483 Airport Thruway
Columbus, GA 31904
706 322-3282

http://www.peachtreenaturalfoods.com/common/news/store_news.asp?task=store_news&SID_store_news=4&storeID=XRBK823T14S92ND700AKHLBD3UA7AP7C