PDA

View Full Version : Picky eaters!!

Kasianni
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Is Mika a picky eater or what!!!
She had been on I/D for a two weeks, and was alot better, no more tummy problems..but since Saturday, she won't even go near it!! She will smell it then run away. The day I had her spayed her vet (last Wednesday) said that she could start Science diet -W/D to maintain her weight. (She is not overweight) but he said this would keep her at a good weight..So anyways he said to start her on it this Saturday...Well, she won't eat the I/D so I went out and bought her the W/D today. She has trouble crunching it, (had two baby teeth removed) so I added a bit of warm water to soften it for her...she ate a bit, and then turned her nose at it!!!! I really don't know what to do!!
Last night, she was starving, so I boiled some chicken for her and cooked a bit of rice and it devoured it in less then 1 minute..so I know she is hungry and has an appetite...Will call the vet tomorrow and ask but does anyone have any idea's??? Is Mika the only picky eater??

alfina
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
w/d is not a good food. She does not need to be on it if her weight is good. visit dogaware.com for information on good dog food.

Linus
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Bailey is picky too. He loves the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish.

catstamm
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
If you want to watch her weight and keep her healthy after ALL the recalls...feed her CANIDAE platinum....Canidae is the only human grade food that DOES NOT outsource their food to anyone and have NO imported ingredients.
Please remember your vet is NOT a nutritionist.
To help you check out www.dogaware.com

Kasianni
04-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the advice...seems I bought the wrong food ($30 dollars later I learn) she didn't even like it anyways...good thing she didn't eat more than a bite!!

catstamm
04-23-2007, 09:50 PM
She will probably hold out a few days because that canned food was so tasty....but you can add a lil water and warm it in the microwave....to get her appetite going... at 13 lbs I would feed her 1/4 2 x aday...if she get a LOT of exercise than you could do a third..but only if she gets a lot of exercise :)
Your an awesome MOM :):hug99:

Patt
04-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Your vet put Mika on W/D because it's a fiber rich formula and good for digestive problems, which she probably still has. Also helpful in maintaining weight. Mika won't starve hereself, she will eventually learn to eat it. I would be careful feeding her anything else for now. Definitely call your vet for his advice. :goodluck:

If you bought the wrong food your vet will give you credit for the ones unopened.

jenfer
04-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Gigi was picky when she was little... not any more.

michelehbc
04-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Yeah, Bailey is picky, too.. Only the finest cat turds and tissue paper for him.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kidding, he likes the food he is on, but I am switching him soon, so WE"LL SEE!!!!!!!!

Rainy
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I just need to say one thing about any Vet and food.Unless they have taken supplemental nutrition courses then they know next to nothing about nutrition.You can have the best vet in the world and that does not mean he/she is qualified to give out information about diet.A nutritionist is better qualified as well as experienced "breed" specific owners.IMO your vet had you change the food too soon.Especially since she was doing well on the last one and is still recovering from surgery.Why chance that she is going to start vomiting again from introducing a new food?
Give your snugly baby a kiss and i'm sending her good wishes that nasty tummy troubles are history for her.

Chris
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
You know what might be a consideration if she liked the food but now suddenly won't eat it.... Are you cleaning her bowls each time and then rinsing them out well enough? And what is her bowl made of? Also what cleaner do you use if not just plain dish soap? Reason I ask is that when my parents were watching the weens, they wouldn't eat because my mother bleaches everything to death and they don't like the smell. And also, the first coupla days they didn't wash the bowls out.

Also, if they are supposed to be eating something for their sensitive stomach - is anyone giving her treats or other extras? dogs sometimes will hold out if they know something "better" is just around the corner.

Patt
04-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Does anyone remember this is a sick pupper with tummy/gagging/coughing issues? I/D and W/D are prescription diet. I'm sure when Mika is back to her normal self she can return to whatever Kasia wants to feed her with her vets blessing.

Kasianni
04-24-2007, 11:18 AM
She is STILL suppose to be on the I/D..but won't touch it!! Don't get why, she loved it for two weeks....strange...I will try again with the w/d but getting mixed reactions about it..it has that wheat or corn gluten in it and I heard its bad for the pups now??
Going to talk to the vet Saturday when she get her stitches out...
Maybe a natural diet for her....don't know quite what to do:confused:
She has had no treats, nothing else but her I/D as the vet said! I have been very good about that, its hard but I do it for Mika...
I clean her bowls everyday, and do not use bleach on them...regular soap and I rince very well. Her bowl is a small metal one...no plastic...

Patt
04-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Due to possible tummy problems (probably nerves) I am now feeding W/D to one of my dogs, with NO problems. However, he is a picky eater. So if he doesn't eat when it's offered I pick it up and offer it later. He eventually eats it! What can I say..... I do what I have to do for his health and well being, and he is not going to starve himself.

I feed Innova or Wellness brands. I will switch him to one of those later after he recovers.

Alex's Mom
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
She is STILL suppose to be on the I/D..but won't touch it!! Don't get why, she loved it for two weeks....strange...I will try again with the w/d but getting mixed reactions about it..it has that wheat or corn gluten in it and I heard its bad for the pups now??
I've been feeding Alex i/d for the last 5 years, and I've found that there is a huge variation between batches (I buy it by the case)...some are extremely dry and crumbly, others wet and gluey, others somewhere in between. I wonder if the new can you opened is really different from the ones that came before? Alex is such a pig you could put rocks in front of her and she'd probably scarf them down :rolleyes: So I'm not too sure what to do with picky eaters. I know when Maxe was in her last days and not too interested in food I'd mix a bit of banana in to try to encourage her to eat, but perhaps that would be too much for Mika's little tummy. how about mixing some chicken broth in with it? That might tempt her... other than that no suggestions except to say good luck (and well said, Patt!!!!!)

LexieLuvr
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
If she's hungry enough, and not getting any other food (i.e., treats!), she'll eat what's there eventually. Put it down for 10 minutes; if uneaten, pick it up and give it to her for her next meal. She won't starve herself!!!

Kasianni
04-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Just tried to give her some I/D..smelled it for a few seconds and then walked away, I removed it and will try again later...I know she is hungry because she was looking at me eat my lunch and wanting some for herself. I am really good now at saying no to her for small treats, those eyes and looks she gives kill me though :rotfl:

Oh yes, I did notice a difference to with some cans..so are dryer than others and some are sticky...However, I opened another can to see if she would eat it and she did the same thing...

Frzframe
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
One of the dogs I was watching for a while was on I/D and she hated it. She had to eat as she had already lost 3 pounds and was a senior 15 and could afford to lose any more weight. So, this what I ended up doing. I put in enough water to make it have some gravy then I heated it in the mic so it was warm and got the aroma going good.

I think your baby is holding out for the good stuff (chicken and rice)!! I agree just give her the I/D or W/D an nothing else and she'll eat.

My cat is on W/D and has been for 4 years now. Sometimes the vet does know best when it comes to other issues concerning health and feeding habits. I learned this after spending over $1,000 to get Franny healthy and if a crappy brand of food keeps her away from the operating table well then it's not so crappy for her. :)

Kasianni
04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I tried heating it up in the microwave on Saturday and it did eat it...I will try again. The W/D kibble is big, before Mika's tummy troubles started she was eating science diet for puppies and the kibble was small...I will try with breaking a few pieces in half and adding a little water to see if that will work..

Patt
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I must have missed something, which are you feeding canned or dry? I feed the canned, and they love it.
Keep trying, you need to use "tough love" now.

Kasianni
04-24-2007, 03:37 PM
She is suppose to stay on the canned I/D until this Saturday...BUT she stopped eating it Sunday...just like that...the vet said that I should start her on the W/D when I finish with the I/D..which is Saturday...but I tried the W/D last night to because she won't eat the I/D anymore...She had loved it last week, strange she stopped suddenly...
She is very hungry, I can tell...but I will be strong. She knows that I will boil some chicken and rice if she does not eat, but I will be tough and wait it out this evening...

Chris
04-24-2007, 03:48 PM
She is very hungry, I can tell...but I will be strong. She knows that I will boil some chicken and rice if she does not eat, but I will be tough and wait it out this evening...

Oh that's one of the hardest things about doxies - they can be so food motivated and know how to play us. Stay strong! It will be worth it!

Kasianni
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Shall do!! :)
Very hard to be tough with her looking at me like she is starved :rotfl: