PDA

View Full Version : Raw Bones Dangerous Too??

Puppen
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I was reading up on raw feeding and such and when I read this it made me stop and think...Oh great one More thing to be concerned about...

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html

Jacqueline
04-25-2007, 12:05 AM
I give the girls nice big marrow bones, but I don't just toss them a bone and walk off and ignore them with it. I watch to see what condition the bones are in, and when they get worn or rough, out they go.

It's like everything else. They can find all sorts of things around the house that can also cause obstructions, and down them before you can say dachshund. You just need to take care with raising these happy little vacuums.

catstamm
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Thank you for sharing...very interesting....and scary.....

Courtney
04-25-2007, 12:19 AM
There is a lot of anti-raw stuff on the internet, as anyone can post whatever they want. In that vein, you can believe what you want. Like Jacqueline said, you have to give the right type, and always monitor, etc. I have fed raw for more than two years and would never feed anything else. I know thousands of people (not personally but via email lists) who feel the same way and who have fed raw much longer. The health benefits greatly outweigh the risks. There are risks in everything in life. You risk your life just getting out of bed in the morning....

With all the pet food recalls, I believe a raw diet fed properly is much, much, much safer than kibble!

jenfer
04-25-2007, 12:45 AM
You risk your life just getting out of bed in the morning....

How did you know that I am tempted to not get out of bed tomorrow. :D

JanUet
04-25-2007, 06:30 AM
With all the pet food recalls, I believe a raw diet fed properly is much, much, much safer than kibble!

Big :ditto: on THAT!

Although, I don't feed Casey & Sophie the Raw they way you do your crew -Courtney. I do give them a chicken thigh every now and then.
I give them lamb bones bought from Global Rayan's Pet Food. I always monitor them when they eat any type of bone.

I am so thankful for the Nature's Variety Raw Medallions. They were a life saver to me after reading & Hearing about all the recalls.

I must :thankyou: Courtney for showing me the way to Raw feeding. Although, I have changed it slightly using the raw medallions.
My furkids coats are shiny and smooth and their teefies are nice and clean.
Casey & Sophie would also like to :thankyou: for informing their Mommy about Sardines, Mackeral and all those other great tasting fishy stuff! :hearts: :hearts:

lotsadox
04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Very interesting. One thing you will note if you read the article is that they dog had a habit of raiding the neighbors garbage. I'll lay odds that they bone fragment was from the garbage he ate and was a COOKED bone and not a raw bone. I feed marrow bones I get from my vet and beef rib bones from the store. They don't fragment like cooked bones do.

I took Bogart to a doggie dentist last year for a dental. All he does is animal dental work. He told me that last year he had 6 dogs come in with cracked teeth from chewing bones. SIX! Out of probably 6 or 8 dogs A DAY. That's probably fewer on the average than humans that crack teeth from eating nuts or hard candy and that doesn't stop us.

I"ve fed raw for over 10 years and have had no problems. As Courtney says the benefits far outweigh the risks. And, remember, not everything you read on the internet is true. It's just what someone puts up there.

Jen
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
:ditto: With anything you give your dog you HAVE to monitor consumption/chewing. Tasha has issues with resource guarding and so we rarely do raw bones, but she's fine with raw food (thrives on the Nature's Variety Medallions) and though she may gobble meat faster than other foods she's not aggressive. Some nights she goes for the pumpkin in her bowl first over the raw good. But I digress....

Lisa
04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Raw is kind of like being a vegetarian, in the completely opposite way obviously. There are various kinds of vegetarians - those who simple do not eat meat but will still eat eggs, honey, cheese, yogurt, butter etc. to those who will not eat anything made with any type of animal product, and shades in between.

I feed raw light :D, they get the nature variety medallions, which contain fruits and vegetables as well as ground bones and meat, and come in cute little easy to handle pieces. They do get bones on occasion in the summer, but Pixel is not crazy about them so they don't get them very often. He always has to run over and have me hold it, which really grosses me out.

There are pro's and con's with feeding the way I do, I know what they are and it is the choice I made for my puppies. Pogo had serious weight issues, corn sensitivity and constant barfies, since switching it has eliminated all those issues. Pixel was Mr. Fussy with food, he now circles at dinner time.

Yes, there are potential dangers to feeding raw bones, but there are tons of benifits too. There are also pro's and con's to feeding a kibble only diet too. There is no 100% safe, best way to feed. It will always be one of those things you have to look at your own dogs, if there are medical conditions, talk to your vet about what they recommend.

Otto'sMom
04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
And don't forget poor Buddy's owie on his nose from eating raw:sosad:

Puppen
04-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Ok, :thanx: So then giving them the raw chicken leg or theigh is most Likely A-Ok then? Bigger meaty bones is what I like to give them to knaw on, not to likely they will chew through it for quite some time. Could someone post a good guide to feeding raw? As in amounts per weight per day, :scratch: that sort of thing. I have several with recipes and such, but no real guide as to How Much, I don't want to Under feed them or Over feed them either. :duh: I'm so new to this but I want to do what's right for Them and Kibble is NOT it as far as I am concerned.

Courtney
04-25-2007, 11:16 AM
We have a sticky in the Got Food section: http://www.doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=1417

Additionally you can do a search in the forum for raw feeding and come up with a ton of stuff!

Jen
04-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Courtney did a sticky in the Got Food forum on raw feeding.

You can find it here (http://doxielovers.com/dlc/showthread.php?t=1417)

Puppen
04-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Found it, thanks!